Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32

Author Topic: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ  (Read 385252 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Guide Thread/ FAQ
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2014, 02:34:38 AM »

Hi!

The current flagship gets the skill bonuses whether you pilot it or not. You should still try piloting yourself though, it's really fun and you get better all the time :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tecrys

• Admiral
  • repair that space elevator!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2014, 02:51:52 AM »

They apply to your flagship while it is on autopilot as well.

The game checks for the flagship, no matter if you steer it yourself or let the autopilot handle it.

Edit: Oh, Gothars was quicker or did I overlook that? Anyways, piloting yourself is a lot of fun!
Symbiotic Void Creatures 0.5.0-alpha for 0.97a is out
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28010.0

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2014, 05:13:59 AM »

Thanks a lot for the explanation folks!

I like manual control as a concept, being a fan of StarCon series and the like, but I prefer to have my cup of Starsector as rather strategic experience, to be enjoyed without tactical intertference. However, the more I play, the more I find myself claiming direct control because of totally weird unfathomable AI decisions based on reasons non-obvious for me ;D

GruntyThrst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »

I'm doing a series of video tutorials for Starsector because why not? I promise bad editing, lots of awkward pauses and 'uhm'img, occasional salty language, and statements of dubious credibility. If that hasn't turned you off the idea yet, here's a playlist link.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2014, 04:34:33 AM »

Nice! I'm sure that will be helpful to new players. One little correction at minute 2 of the second video: the AI does actually account for manually fired weapons by turning off your shields. You can only be overloaded by enemy fire. Also, you did not mention EMP damage, which is the Salamader's primary damage.

By the way, do you happen to have any idea when the SA forum paywall will come down again?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

aPhilRa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »

I feel stupid for asking this again, but I cannot for the life of me find a way to change the flagship of my fleet. Some posts from May 2013 said something about a button in the lower right corner (of the fleet window I presume), but there's no button for me.

I'm playing the campaign and use the latest version without any mods so far.

Plz halp :)

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »

Click on an empty portrait. I know, it was difficult for me the first time too.

aPhilRa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2014, 04:52:30 PM »

Click on an empty portrait. I know, it was difficult for me the first time too.
Wow, I didn't see that...I DID NOT see that!

Had to make a screenshot to clarify.

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2014, 04:54:28 PM »

Yep! Lood luck fellow commander.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2014, 06:12:23 AM »

For some reason it's not intuitive...it makes sense once you figure it out. I'm wondering if it would be more intuitive if the current captains face is 'ghosted' over the portrait area when rolling over the area.

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2014, 07:56:49 AM »

Hi!  I tried searching for a similar question but it only came up once and it didn't help me :P

I got 0.65.1a installed, with LazyLib 2.0b and Console Commands 2.0 WIP 7 working in the mods, but when I put in Tore Up Plenty or Haiigaran Descendants, I get an error called JSONObject["logo"] not found. 

The thread I found had a guy ask what this was, and another person responded that he needed to add ""logo":"graphics/factions/your-faction-logo.png","  to every faction in the mod.

But I dont know how to do that.  What do I download?  What file do I edit?  Wheres the faction thing?  I looked at the modding resources and I'm just overwhelmed @_@;

Hope this is the correct section to post.  >_>

Thanks for any replies :)

Ubik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »

[0.6.2a] Hiigaran Descendants v1.1.0 ... that means it is for the 0.6.2a version of the game, not for the most recent 0.65.1a, guess that's why it wont work.

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I had a question: I often see pirate fleets transform into mercenary (independent) ones. What's the reasoning behind this? Does attacking them after they "transform" count as hostility towards the pirate or independent faction? Do fleets ever transform from independent back to pirate?'

Edit: Another question: What are the mechanics on how often ship markets get new stock? Is it based on time? (Weekly, monthly) Or is stock swapped based on distance travelled, or if you've jumped to a different system?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:41:10 AM by Regularity »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:14 PM »

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I had a question: I often see pirate fleets transform into mercenary (independent) ones. What's the reasoning behind this? Does attacking them after they "transform" count as hostility towards the pirate or independent faction? Do fleets ever transform from independent back to pirate?'
Refer to this thread :)
Short version: If attacked, they get you a rep hit with the faction they belonged to at the time of the combat (so make sure they ain't grey before you click the engage button!) I recall Alex saying somewhere that this is to prevent the smuggler from getting blown up by patrols at the destination, but I can't find the post...

Edit: Another question: What are the mechanics on how often ship markets get new stock? Is it based on time? (Weekly, monthly) Or is stock swapped based on distance travelled, or if you've jumped to a different system?
Too busy to find a reference right now, but it refreshes on visiting the ship market, with a 1 month cooldown.

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »

Hello all!  I've been lurking here for a bit and finally registered because I'm liking this game more than almost anything I've come across in recent memory.  I (as I'm sure many of you did, if you're old enough) enjoyed SPAZ and distantly, distantly before that, Start Control 2, and I'm awfully happy to see something in the same vein.  I only found out about the game because of an animated signature .GIF I saw as someone's forum signature somewhere that was fascinating enough that I really wanted to know what it was from.  I zoomed way in and searched on the things I could make out of the low-res mess - "Assault Battleship"?  Cool stuff, but no joy.  "Flux Capacitors" .. well, obvious results there.  I was about to give up and tried the only other thing I could read, the "star sector" in the top right that I assumed was just a generic map coordinate thing, or something similar.  Let's hear it for chance.

Alex, thank you for making this!  I'm delighted to have discovered it and impressed by your commitment to quality (the only crash I've ever seen was with saved variants!)  I'll be eagerly suffering through the update cycles with everyone else from here on out.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32