Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many points do you speed on aptitutes?  (Read 8072 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
How many points do you speed on aptitutes?
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »

In other words, the dead levels.  For me, Combat 2, Leadership 1 or 3, Technology 3, and Industry 2 or 3.  I find myself spending ten or eleven points in aptitudes.  If I was willing to give up my hot rod, I can probably lower Combat to 1.  Most of the best Combat buffs I desire are level 1 (and level 3, which I cannot afford).

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How many points do you speed on aptitutes?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 08:09:16 AM »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 08:16:31 AM »

Tech 3, Leadership 3 and Industry 3.

I took 3 in Industry to max out Salvaging/Surveying only—basically 9 points spent to make tons of money...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »

TaLaR and Dri spend nine for their games.

The purpose of the topic is to see if many players spend more or less the same number of points (about nine or more) on aptitudes.  If so, then what is the point of the aptitudes?  I know Alex did that as a buffer balance, but if everyone spends nearly the same skill points on aptitudes, they all aptitudes really serve (in practice) is a skill tax or lower effective skill points player has for skills.  It would seem that if everyone spends nine or more on aptitudes, then the difference is probably one max skill at best.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 08:22:48 AM »

combat 2, leadership 3, tech 3, industry 2

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 08:29:43 AM »

10 total for me
3 Tech ASAP. I rely too much on sensors/stealth to bypass early combat
3 Industry.
1 Leadership. Logistics capacity.
3 Combat. Reliance on shield tanking means that any damage reduction on top of Hardened Shields is critical.
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 08:43:46 AM »

I had 11: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12128.msg206245#msg206245

But honestly I could do without those 2 in combat perhaps...

TaLaR and Dri spend nine for their games.

The purpose of the topic is to see if many players spend more or less the same number of points (about nine or more) on aptitudes.  If so, then what is the point of the aptitudes?  I know Alex did that as a buffer balance, but if everyone spends nearly the same skill points on aptitudes, they all aptitudes really serve (in practice) is a skill tax or lower effective skill points player has for skills.  It would seem that if everyone spends nine or more on aptitudes, then the difference is probably one max skill at best.

Skills itself are good. But the arrangement...

I think you can also survey that most people do not invest much into combat branch anymore because fleet-wide skills are so much more important.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 08:44:52 AM »

Combat 1, Leadership 1, Technology 3, Industry 3
(this is what I ended up in my first-and-so-far-only playthrough, not necessarily what I think is ideal for my playstyle or what I plan to use in my next run)

High Industry is needed for exploration completionists, and Navigation 3 and Loadout Design 3 (+10% OP) are high-value goals in the Technology skill tree. I wasn't particularly interested in Combat or Leadership by comparison, although the latter does have quite a number of nice attractions for combat players.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 08:46:26 AM »

Same as Dri, combat 0, the others maxed.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »

I've went with 9 twice (first no industry, then no combat). I'm going to try doing no industry OR combat and see how it goes. (So mandatory carrier flagship.)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2017, 09:19:46 AM »

I've maxed industry both times because exploration is so profitable. 3 in tech as well for transverse jump, range and op bonus. I think I did 2 and 2 in the other trees the first time and I have 1 and 1 my current game but I have not reach max level yet. Max salvage skill is worth just for the research stations and max surveying is also a must for me.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »

3Combat-3Tech, no industry, no leadership, can't spare the points.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2017, 09:49:32 AM »

3 Combat
1 Leadership
3 Tech

I still like to be the tip of the spear in combat, especially now that fighters are such good support. The one point in leadership allows me to pay a lot less for monthly upkeep and have a few extra officers around. The 100% autofire accuracy is a must have if you are going to be flying anything bigger than a destroyer (except for special cases). When fighting against the AI that now seems to clump up, you need to have as tanky a ship as possible to really get the engagement going. I have every combat skill maxed out except for the enhanced countermeasures.

I like the aptitudes, because it makes the level 3 perks feel that much harder to get, and it makes the level 1 perks feel more important. Otherwise, it would be back to the way things were, where there was no point spending points on a skill unless you were going to get to level 5 or 10.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »

3 Leadership, 3 Technology, no Combat or Industry, carriers only, Final Destination.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:02:04 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »

Industry 3. i usually max every skill in industry
Tech 3. will max 1 or 2 skills.
leadership 2 or 3.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.
Pages: [1] 2