Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Tredith Mining Fleet  (Read 20526 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: Tredith Mining Fleet
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »

looks epic, are they in game yet or are you still working on the mod?

and keep up the good work, loving it :P

I'm trying to understand the files necessary to put the guys in the campaign, i might need some assistance for this xD (I'm very new to this kind of things: the ships are already playable in sample missions, but I miss most of the campaign stuff)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 02:57:30 PM »

I was looking at the "Temporary Base" ship, and I think it wouldn't be very structurally sound, even for a base that is built on an asteroid. I think you should add some kind of angled supports to the buildings (like the legs you see on construction vehicles, and firetrucks). It would make the base seem less likely to rip apart at every change in direction. :P
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Wriath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:36 PM »

Granted I'm not a spaceship physicist, but I figure they would use very low acceleration/deceleration with a vessel like that and in all likelihood movement stress wouldn't be a giant issue. On the other hand getting sections shot off...

Really liking the designs in this thread hopefully once the particulars for the game's mining system is set up you'll be able to slot these things right in.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »

They look good for mobile refinerys and cheap carrier units.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2012, 06:59:51 PM »

low acceleration, check
low thrust output, check
fairly decent armor (it is an asteroid after all), check
no shields, check
slipshod construction, check
built by the lowest bidder, check
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »

was kitbashing earlier, found the asteroid graphic file, saw the mining fleet Uomoz was working on, figured asteroids are heavy and could probably make a cheap ship material.

EPIPHANY!
"Watch me"

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »

"Watch me"

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »

I was looking at the "Temporary Base" ship, and I think it wouldn't be very structurally sound, even for a base that is built on an asteroid. I think you should add some kind of angled supports to the buildings (like the legs you see on construction vehicles, and firetrucks). It would make the base seem less likely to rip apart at every change in direction. :P
why the heck would they change direction? they aren't combat pilots, they are working class space people who get the crap beaten out of them on a regular basis. their ships are budget minded, point a, point b, none of that fancy flying now.
"Watch me"

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 01:49:23 AM »

If you add them to the campaign be sure to add in some random merc units--theres no point in these ships actually heading into combat they should all be fleeing.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 01:52:10 AM »

If you add them to the campaign be sure to add in some random merc units--theres no point in these ships actually heading into combat they should all be fleeing.
I'm wondering if they should be heading into combat, or more likely can't turn fast enough to avoid?
"Watch me"

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 01:56:41 AM »

Thats the plan. :)

was kitbashing earlier, found the asteroid graphic file, saw the mining fleet Uomoz was working on, figured asteroids are heavy and could probably make a cheap ship material.

EPIPHANY!

I'm sorry to inform you about this medikohl, but I'm thinking to start from scratch, with better quality models and a unified method to paint the ships.. Every vessel I made is painted in different ways and that's not good. I'll keep the general design (slim ships with many holes and metal corridors), but I'm starting anew :D.

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 02:00:32 AM »

Thats the plan. :)

EPIPHANY!

I'm sorry to inform you about this medikohl, but I'm thinking to start from scratch, with better quality models and a unified method to paint the ships.. Every vessel I made is painted in different ways and that's not good. I'll keep the general design (slim ships with many holes and metal corridors), but I'm starting anew :D.
no worries. if you want some more kitbashes just let me know. I've been improving since I started friday.
"Watch me"

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 02:40:13 AM »

I'm wondering if they should be heading into combat, or more likely can't turn fast enough to avoid?

A simple fix to ensure that some of the bigger/slower ones dont get used in combat is pushing their FP cost up so the AI wont bother deploying them unless it has a massive advantage. I could see throwing some of the smaller ones in as a desperate measure but theres literally no reason to throw in ships like tankers and freighters they should always be in reserve. The entire point of these ships is based on the map not combat and only an idiot would attempt to fight even a single frigate in a freighter.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »

A simple fix to ensure that some of the bigger/slower ones dont get used in combat is pushing their FP cost up so the AI wont bother deploying them unless it has a massive advantage. I could see throwing some of the smaller ones in as a desperate measure but theres literally no reason to throw in ships like tankers and freighters they should always be in reserve. The entire point of these ships is based on the map not combat and only an idiot would attempt to fight even a single frigate in a freighter.
actually u can take single frigate with an freighter... if u have refitted the 2 ballistics to something more suitable  :P

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 02:06:09 AM »

So, uh, Uomoz, you still planning on doing anything with this? I actually like the graphics.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4