Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Where to begin?  (Read 3578 times)

Plebican

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Where to begin?
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:24:21 AM »

I purchased Starsector about 3(?) years ago now. I played it for a bit and couldn't get very far in the campaign, and I got distracted with other games. Such is the life of a 12 year old...  ;) 1476 hours of Csgo later and I look through my Steam game library to find Starsector, "Hey, I remember that game!" and so I load up Starsector for the first time in 3(?) years. "Meh; it's ok, I wonder if it's like, still getting updates or something". 'starsector.com? nope star.sector?? nope' Ah Hah! fractalsoftworks.com! 'pretty much looks the saaAAAA- Holy Sh*t November 2016!' :o I open the blog for November 2016 and see all these "cool features" and "new stuff". 'D*MN THIS IS SICK WHERE DO I DOWNLOAD' I get open the "new version" and play some missions and what not to re-familiarize myself. Then... There it was... The button... N E W  G A M E

makes the sh*ttiest character the starting options can provide

procedes to not understand how to play the game whatsoever

dead

well that sucked.
This process of creating a new character repeated itself about... say, 10 times, until finally I was able to grasp the basics of how to assign my skill points and how to do procurement contracts.  yes yes; groundbreaking; I know, but it doesn't end there

I finally begin my quest for dominance over the sector with Edwin and a Scarab. at least 30 hours of eat sleep starsector repeat later, and I have 2 Conquests (don't ask why) and a 14th legion(?) Onslaught.  :-\

So I have a couple questions that I definitely used the search function to try and find the answers to.
  • Is there anything more to accomplish in Vanilla at the moment?
  • How do I start modding? (like what threads do I need to look at{please, refer me})

That is pretty much all. Thank you and goodnight.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Where to begin?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 02:54:36 AM »

Excalibur Bane

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »

Heh, heh. I like ths kid already. Good sense of humor. Welcome to the forums. :D

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 07:15:28 AM »

welcome! ^^

early game is really in a tough spot at the moment, especially for new players, since there are so many things that aren't properly explained. there are quite a few informative tooltips though, so try hovering over the various UI elements. and there will be a proper tutorial for all the important stuff eventually, but only after most other features are in place.

in the meantime, the Steiner Foundation mod specifically aims at reducing early game difficulty and explaining some things to new players. and if you've got any questions about how to play, there's almost always someone in the chat of our Unofficial Discord Server that will answer them. :]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 07:28:31 PM »

Early game is brutal - harder than it needs to be!  Scarab is the easiest ship to use and start as, but Tri-Tachyon becoming hostile is annoying unless you plan to join Hegemony early.  The game gets progressively easier if you survive early game challenges.  If you do not want Scarab, then either Lasher for close-range brawling or Hound for cargo hauling are probably you next best starters.  Centurion is a trap - it is effectively a civilian shuttle with more hit points and more expensive to deploy.

Goals are always the same.  There are no more advanced goals beyond building the perfect fleet and killing everyone you meet.  You do not build bases or do other strategic level activities appropriate for an win condition.  You might want to add the mod Nexerelin if you want the endgame goal of sector domination.  I hope Starsector eventually adds that endgame option.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »

I think everyone here already gave good insight, I'm just really curious about one thing:
Did you, um... buy this game when you were 9 years old?

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 02:23:56 AM »

Welcome to the forums, Good luck with the rabbit hole that is modding. Be sure to come up for air when the next version comes out. And although others have already said it, I'll throw in my hat that you'll enjoy Nexerelin.

Edit: if you do go with nexerelin or just need some extra factions I highly recomend Mendonca's junk pirates http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=161.0
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 02:28:41 AM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.