Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Make Neural Integrator cheaper  (Read 952 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Make Neural Integrator cheaper
« on: May 15, 2023, 03:06:14 PM »

I don't think I've seen anyone ever write about using Radiant as a flagship, which might imply the hullmod is too overcosted to be appealing. Especially given that the player needs to invest 8 points into Tech, limiting the amount of combat skills, and all but requiring going leadership 0.

It's even more absurd for Nova, as the hullmod was clearly tuned for Radiant's power level and OP budget.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Make Neural Integrator cheaper
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 03:55:57 PM »

I tried using Radiant as a flagship, but it is only overpowered if I also get Systems Expertise to let it teleport nearly at will.  Even then, Neural Integrator that costs 50 OP means that it offsets the OP gained from s-mods, and I get energy weapons.  Meanwhile, I can get better performance from Ziggurat with less skill investment.  If I want an overpowered godship, Radiant is a chump compared to Ziggurat.  What I do with Radiant with Systems Ex. is teleport to run away when it is unsafe then teleport toward an enemy to ambush when it is safe, and it can be draining on PPT.

If I try to use Radiant without any Combat, it is very sluggish like other battleships.  Without Systems Expertise, skimmer does not recharge fast enough, and the enemy will catch up if trying to run away with Radiant.  Radiant felt like Paragon with less shot range and more missiles, if I get missiles, which is not a given with that -50 OP tax called Neural Integrator.

Neural Integrator should be removed and let Neural Interface work on everything.  I would also prefer Neural Interface to cost 0 OP if it has to be kept to mark ships.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:59:14 PM by Megas »

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2023, 09:12:22 PM »

Does using X to take control of [REDACTED] no longer work? It did.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

BaBosa

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 02:23:56 AM »

I don't think I've seen anyone ever write about using Radiant as a flagship, which might imply the hullmod is too overcosted to be appealing. Especially given that the player needs to invest 8 points into Tech, limiting the amount of combat skills, and all but requiring going leadership 0.

It's even more absurd for Nova, as the hullmod was clearly tuned for Radiant's power level and OP budget.
Player Radiant was never meant to be serious. Alex threw it in as a fun build to mess with. Hence the hearty OP and skill cost.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2023, 04:41:17 AM »

The main block for automated ship flagship is the Tech 8 requirement, which leaves 7 left for other skills, and player would want more personal skills to make the most out of Neural Link, so no or minimal Leadership or Industry.  In case of Radiant, it needs Systems Expertise to be better than other human capitals, so Combat 5 and Tech 8 means 2 left for Leadership/Industry, and no Combat 8 to get Missile Spec. too.

If I want Radiant in the fleet, Tech 5 for Automated Ships and a gamma (for max CR) or alpha core (for max combat performance) is good enough.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 04:14:04 AM »

Aside from a possible OP reduction, it'd be nice and thematic if Neural Integrator made the ship not count towards Automated Ship limits (as long as the skill was nevertheless present).