Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 402

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.2 "Concert of Persea" (update 2024-05-18)  (Read 3092831 times)

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Nexerelin v0.7.2 (update 2016-01-01)
« Reply #825 on: January 14, 2016, 03:58:44 AM »

Might have something to do with response fleet despawning right on top of the station recovering reserve fleet level.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #826 on: January 14, 2016, 04:04:30 AM »

I'm trying to invade a size 7 (military) Sindrian Diktat planet and they spam response fleets/detachments every single time I whack them to oblivion and restart the process. I have a station nearby which I go to for repairs/supplies every time I run out of CR from constant fighting.

I have 3 decked out Paragons 1 Onslaught and 2 Eagles and some support ships + 2k marines, maxed out all available skills, so my capture probability is 100%, and I can take on anything that engages me every single time without loosing anything but supplies and CR.

My questions is (after many repetitive battles), whether the Sindrian Diktat will ever run out of response fleets, because otherwise it seems impossible to capture that planet - not because I don't have the resources, but because they interrupt the invasion process every single time due to game/mod mechanics.

Spamming them with saboteurs destroying reserve fleets didn't seem to help.

I assume it's because the fleet logistic module from the original Exerelin was left out and vanilla mechanics just spawn fleets on trigger without considering anything but the player's level. Is this true?

Once a response fleet spawns it needs to wait quite a while before it can accumulate enough points to spawn a new one (and a long time before it can spawn anything that doesn't immediately run from a decent lategame player fleet). Response fleets returning to base add part (75%) of their fleet points back to the reserve, and it's possible that this is bugged, but the points don't get added until the fleet despawns so it doesn't seem likely that this is the problem.

Currently there's nothing that stops patrols (including Detachments) from continuously spawning at a market being invaded; in fact, killing them just makes them spawn faster. I've been meaning to implement economy-dependent patrol spawning, or at least make them not appear while an invasion is in progress, but never got around to it. Still, it should be entirely possible to get enough of a gap (1 ingame day) between patrol spawns to finish the invasion.

Do you want to upload a save? Would help me look for specific failure cases.

Smoq2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 14, 2016, 05:49:38 AM »

Once a response fleet spawns it needs to wait quite a while before it can accumulate enough points to spawn a new one (and a long time before it can spawn anything that doesn't immediately run from a decent lategame player fleet). Response fleets returning to base add part (75%) of their fleet points back to the reserve, and it's possible that this is bugged, but the points don't get added until the fleet despawns so it doesn't seem likely that this is the problem.

Currently there's nothing that stops patrols (including Detachments) from continuously spawning at a market being invaded; in fact, killing them just makes them spawn faster. I've been meaning to implement economy-dependent patrol spawning, or at least make them not appear while an invasion is in progress, but never got around to it. Still, it should be entirely possible to get enough of a gap (1 ingame day) between patrol spawns to finish the invasion.

Do you want to upload a save? Would help me look for specific failure cases.

Yeah, I will upload my save file once I get back from work.

I have a couple of additional faction mods you listed as compatible on the front page, but nothing aside from that. I can send an archive of my mods directory if you you need those for making things faster.

I never kill off entire fleets - I usually let the running ships go, hence the place will be littered with smaller fleets when you load up the save - could this be an issue? Does a "reduced" detachment fleet count as "killed"?

[Edit]

Here's a link to the save file - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66826401/StarSector/save_Wojtek_7340505308298485795.rar

Try invading the planet/station right next to the player's fleet, fight of the response fleet, and invade again. Enjoy the rinse and repeat for the next 48 hours. ;)

On a side note, great work overall. Been enjoying the mod for a week now. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 02:26:06 AM by Smoq2 »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #828 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:39 PM »

Okay, found the problem. It turns out the Diktat lost so many battles in that star system recently that patrols were spawning over 12 times (!!!) more frequently than base.

Modified it so each loss only reduces the speed at which the patrol timer increments by 50% instead of 100%, and losses can make patrols spawn no more than 4x as frequently as normal. Here is a .jar file (put in Nexerelin/jars/).
If you're still having problems, open vanilla's data/config/settings.json and temporarily increase averagePatrolSpawnInterval.

Glad you're enjoying the game :)

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 15, 2016, 11:54:04 PM »

So THAT's why the pirates have been steamrolling Hegemony in Corvus in my game. :P

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 17, 2016, 06:17:54 AM »

Got a java out of memory/heap space error recently. Does the increase memory modification still need to be applied? Couldn't find the instructions anywhere, and no one else has made any comment about this for a long time as far as I can see.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 17, 2016, 06:21:48 AM »

Got a java out of memory/heap space error recently. Does the increase memory modification still need to be applied? Couldn't find the instructions anywhere, and no one else has made any comment about this for a long time as far as I can see.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0

joe130794

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 17, 2016, 06:23:34 AM »

I tried that a while back and it wouldn't even start up when I changed it.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 17, 2016, 06:36:53 AM »

I tried that a while back and it wouldn't even start up when I changed it.

If you have done that you can also change the global java settings regarding your allocating ram to use.

Start->Control->Java->Java->View->User-> then add into the column of your installed java versions the ram you want to allow java to use (for example.: -xmx7g)

matveich

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 17, 2016, 08:54:05 AM »

Can anyone explain to me how to earn money in Nexerelin? I am playing with player's faction and enemy to almost all other factions, so it is not possible for me to do bounty missions. I have already finished all available missions from Prism freeport and got several mod ships and now I do not know where to find funding for my fleet. Should I try mining? Is it profitable?

Also I have noticed it is almost impossible to have positive reputation with any other faction, since your reputation will degrade if you are an enemy to one of their allies. So, it is impossible to have positive reputation with BRDY because of that as they are allied with pirates. Is it possible to turn off reputation degradation?

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 17, 2016, 07:37:24 PM »

Can anyone explain to me how to earn money in Nexerelin? I am playing with player's faction and enemy to almost all other factions, so it is not possible for me to do bounty missions. I have already finished all available missions from Prism freeport and got several mod ships and now I do not know where to find funding for my fleet. Should I try mining? Is it profitable?

Also I have noticed it is almost impossible to have positive reputation with any other faction, since your reputation will degrade if you are an enemy to one of their allies. So, it is impossible to have positive reputation with BRDY because of that as they are allied with pirates. Is it possible to turn off reputation degradation?

Does your faction ("followers") have its own station or planet? You don't get paid unless they have a foothold in the sector.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 17, 2016, 09:52:59 PM »

Start taking control of a star system, out on the edges.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 17, 2016, 10:26:32 PM »

Can anyone explain to me how to earn money in Nexerelin?

Same as vanilla: bounties and trade.

Which actually is a problem as far as I'm concerned - Nexelerin provides player with stuff to do late game, but it's not financially rewarding. Early and mid game is exactly same bounty hunting as always(I'm not much of a trader, and that's the only real way to significantly profit from combat).

Having player salary increase with faction size and providing premium on conquering a planet(max if alone, less for invasion fleet support) would be nice. Maybe also refund (partially?) successful invasion fleets sponsored by player.
Anyway these are details, point is - there is not enough incentive for participating in faction warfare, especially early. You don't even need to defend your faction - I've never seen size 7 worlds conquered (unless I'm doing the conquering). And as long as HQ is safe (main shopping place), player doesn't particularly care for losing size 3 worlds.

matveich

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 17, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »

Can anyone explain to me how to earn money in Nexerelin?

Same as vanilla: bounties and trade.

Which actually is a problem as far as I'm concerned - Nexelerin provides player with stuff to do late game, but it's not financially rewarding. Early and mid game is exactly same bounty hunting as always(I'm not much of a trader, and that's the only real way to significantly profit from combat).

Having player salary increase with faction size and providing premium on conquering a planet(max if alone, less for invasion fleet support) would be nice. Maybe also refund (partially?) successful invasion fleets sponsored by player.
Anyway these are details, point is - there is not enough incentive for participating in faction warfare, especially early. You don't even need to defend your faction - I've never seen size 7 worlds conquered (unless I'm doing the conquering). And as long as HQ is safe (main shopping place), player doesn't particularly care for losing size 3 worlds.

Thank you for the reply. Indeed during start of the game the only reliable source of income is doing bounty missions. In fact special missions from prysm freeport provide substantial rewards as well as unique mod ships. However, during late game when I start capturing enemy markets I can not do bounty missions anymore as I am hostile to most factions. The only source of constant money is trading or mining. Stuffing 3-4 big neutrino freighters with volatiles yields up to 800k.

While it can be fun to watch factions wage wars on each other and conquer sector, late game in Nexelerin needs a lot of improvements:
  • Mining balance. Once you have a couple of freighters it is possible to generate money and experience almost out of thin air. Mining should be more dangerous and planets have a finite amount of resources, which slowly regenerate over time
  • Money rewards for helping your faction to capture markets.
  • Outpost and station building with tax management.

Smoq2

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 18, 2016, 04:08:23 AM »

Okay, found the problem. It turns out the Diktat lost so many battles in that star system recently that patrols were spawning over 12 times (!!!) more frequently than base.

Modified it so each loss only reduces the speed at which the patrol timer increments by 50% instead of 100%, and losses can make patrols spawn no more than 4x as frequently as normal. Here is a .jar file (put in Nexerelin/jars/).
If you're still having problems, open vanilla's data/config/settings.json and temporarily increase averagePatrolSpawnInterval.

Glad you're enjoying the game :)

Wow! Thanks! I wasn't hoping for a fix, just wanted to contribute in hopes for a fix in the next version. I did manage to eventually break the Diktat with brute force.

I must say, you're a much more responsive modder than I ever was. :) Kudos!
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 402