Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 582764 times)

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1140 on: November 24, 2015, 06:54:44 AM »

could we maybe get a pirate start with a reasonable standing with the pirates and semi-hostile with everyone else, with maybe a few (D) ships or something? seems nigh impossible to play pirate at the moment because they constantly come after you, and then once you blast the first of their fleets they refuse to let you dock. likewise, a wolf isn't exactly a very pirate-y ship.

also maybe improve boarding odds, or add a pirate military base somewhere; if you aren't in high standing with a major power getting anything above a frigate is impossible.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 24, 2015, 07:06:19 AM »

You can dock at pirates bases even at Vengeful if you dock with transponders off.  However, if you fight pirates near their bases, the market panics, and you need to wait a while before you can try docking again.

Umbra in Askonia has the Pirates' military market.

Another problem with Pirates are missions.  Sooner or later, you will encounter scripted pirates who want to rob you and will not take "No" for an answer (just like briefing for Fistful of Credits).

That said, an option to start as a Pirate would be nice.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: November 24, 2015, 08:33:19 AM »

Another problem with Pirates are missions.  Sooner or later, you will encounter scripted pirates who want to rob you and will not take "No" for an answer (just like briefing for Fistful of Credits).
I think Pirates can take your loot at any time if you have it on you.  Like, if you're carrying 10 Harvested Organs and you just happen to run into a pirate fleet, I think you can open the comms link and and hand it over.  Although I might be wrong about that - although I'm 100% sure that it's true when you've got a mission (that you can do that with any pirate).
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: November 24, 2015, 08:36:30 AM »

A couple of times I've noticed that the hyperspace positions of planets/jump points don't always match the in-system positions.
Though I don't yet have any evidence to support this.

Will bug it if/when I encounter it again, unless someone else does 1st.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 24, 2015, 08:38:39 AM »

I think Pirates can take your loot at any time if you have it on you.  Like, if you're carrying 10 Harvested Organs and you just happen to run into a pirate fleet, I think you can open the comms link and and hand it over.  Although I might be wrong about that - although I'm 100% sure that it's true when you've got a mission (that you can do that with any pirate).
i believe the ones that 'ask' you to hand over some goods are Pirate Raiders, specifically. they are also the only ones that still go after you despite having positive reputation with the Pirate faction...

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 24, 2015, 09:53:09 AM »

but if you blow the raiders away you take a rep hit -.-

I have to admit, I find the reputation in starsector a little irritating at times. It can make sense for organized factions who communicate and work together, but for pirates and independents it's silly.

If you start the game by bountyhunting in corvus, your rep with the pirates goes to -100% quick, suddenly you're the bounty hunter of legend, scourge of pirates, known to all throughout the sector for your ruthlessness... in your stock wolf frig.

lo... and tremble at the might of the wolf frig and its companion Hermes shuttle. We must convene a meeting of the pirate captains to deal with this threat once and for all.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:30 AM »

@ The_Soldier:  Handing over the loot mollifies them... if you have it when they catch up, which is very un-Pirate of the player, not to mention it can be a big loss of reputation if you fail to hand it over for any reason and they know who you are.  (I usually have delivered the goods first, then meet the raiders.)  The logical response of a pirate player would be to crush the raiders for daring to challenge him, which hurts reputation.  Currently, a would-be pirate player faces a sadistic choice:  lose lots of money to raiders or lose lots of reputation if you fight them.

I think raiders who attack a player who is otherwise allied with pirates should either have minor reputation loss if you surrender the goods to pirates (you show weakness) or no (or +1) reputation change if you crush the raiders (pirates may not like you, but they know better than to mess with a meaner pirate than they).

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »

i actually made a thread about the Pirate Raider issue a few days ago. no response yet.. but i imagine the amount of new bug reports and suggestions popping up must be quite overwhelming at the moment. ^^

could we maybe get a pirate start with a reasonable standing with the pirates and semi-hostile with everyone else, with maybe a few (D) ships or something? seems nigh impossible to play pirate at the moment because they constantly come after you, and then once you blast the first of their fleets they refuse to let you dock. likewise, a wolf isn't exactly a very pirate-y ship.
i suggested a pirate starting option as well, and iirc Alex said he'll think about it.

in the meantime, you can kinda create your own custom campaign start with the Console Commands mod. "AdjustRelationship Player Pirates 75" for example is gonna bring your standing from the initial Hostile to Favorable.

If you start the game by bountyhunting in corvus, your rep with the pirates goes to -100% quick, suddenly you're the bounty hunter of legend, scourge of pirates, known to all throughout the sector for your ruthlessness... in your stock wolf frig.

lo... and tremble at the might of the wolf frig and its companion Hermes shuttle. We must convene a meeting of the pirate captains to deal with this threat once and for all.
xD

hmm, i dunno.. if you manage to solo dozens of pirate ships in your lone Wolf, i'd say that should earn you quite the reputation. not as a large threat to the Pirate faction as a whole maybe, but as a somewhat legendary captain nonetheless. old pirates are gonna start telling scary stories about you!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 24, 2015, 10:24:16 AM »

@ The_Soldier:  Handing over the loot mollifies them... if you have it when they catch up, which is very un-Pirate of the player, not to mention it can be a big loss of reputation if you fail to hand it over for any reason and they know who you are.  (I usually have delivered the goods first, then meet the raiders.)  The logical response of a pirate player would be to crush the raiders for daring to challenge him, which hurts reputation.  Currently, a would-be pirate player faces a sadistic choice:  lose lots of money to raiders or lose lots of reputation if you fight them.
Well...considering pretty much 100% of pirates run with their transponder off, maybe you should follow suit.  I'm sure there's a lot of in fighting between the pirates (at least, in a perfect world, hehe) and since they have no idea who the other guy is, they never "loose relations" with the pirates.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:50 AM »

Even if they do not know who you are, you still take a reputation hit, which you can probably afford if is high enough.

I do not play "pirates" - they have inferior hardware.  I can be a much better pirate by being a Hegemony-sponsored attack dog.  After all, when you are Vengeful with every faction except Independents and one other, you can kill any designated enemy with impunity.  Pirates and faction-sponsored enemies are indistinguishable, except the latter have superior hardware.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 24, 2015, 11:47:47 AM »

but if you blow the raiders away you take a rep hit -.-

I have to admit, I find the reputation in starsector a little irritating at times. It can make sense for organized factions who communicate and work together, but for pirates and independents it's silly.

i actually made a thread about the Pirate Raider issue a few days ago. no response yet.. but i imagine the amount of new bug reports and suggestions popping up must be quite overwhelming at the moment. ^^

Yep, saw the post and made a note, but hadn't had a chance to respond. This one's definitely a bug.

Also, a quick thought: Maybe it would ease early game (and lone wolf gameplay) if single ships (and very small fleets) would get a sensor range bonus?  Call it non-interference bonus or some such. Say even single ships/tiny fleets* have at least the range of something like a battleship. While the sensor profile scales normally from the beginning. Then you have a new effective minimum without boosting patrols or affecting later gameplay. And you wouldn't be quite as blind in the beginning.

*with the battleship equivalent, up to three frigates get a (progressively smaller) bonus, four don't need it anymore

Hmm, interesting. Noted down, will give it a try when I get a chance. One potential issue is this means that a lone frigate will see two/three/etc frigates before they see it. The current sensor formula has a symmetry to it where both sides will see each other at exactly the same range, unless they have bonuses/penalties. Maybe it's less "issue" and more "feature", though.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 24, 2015, 11:50:15 AM »

Also agreeing that the current implementation of the Investigation system is sorta nutty in how punitive it is.  It makes sense for the Tri-Tachs to get violent around some Hegemony toady, but most of the other factions aren't in shooting conflicts with each other and there's a pretty serious line between "mistrust" and "shoot on sight".  It's also pretty bad from a gameplay perspective because the primary effect is cutting back drastically on the amount of stuff you can do.  3/5 factions won't pay out for bounties and won't let you run their missions (and trying to tick up reputation between investigations sure isn't going to be fruitful), but since most of them aren't enemies with the people you work for you don't even have anything to gain by going after them.  Instead you just try to stay out of their way and spend more time sitting around waiting for stuff to do that you can actually get paid for.

Yeah, looking at this for the .1 release. Need more carrot to go with the stick, and probably a bit less stick in the first place.

My Jangala jump point is also stationary.
Are named jump points (like Jangala Jump Point) Supposed to be stationary or are they supposed to move with the planet? As mine are staying in one place

Are you guys sure? And this is in vanilla? Because that would make no sense whatsoever and would make me incredibly confused. The Jangala Jumppoint, in particular, is supposed to keep pace with Jangala - and does, as far as I can see. And since the orbiting mechanism is the same as for other things that orbit, well, refer to "confused" part.

Just in case its been buried in all the suggestions: Great update Alex! I've had a blast playing so far, and I think I speak for the community when I say that we have so many suggestions/criticisms because we are excited!

Thank you :) Definitely hasn't been buried - I'm very happy with how this update has been received overall, and I appreciate all the suggestions. They make a big difference - even if I don't end up doing the specific thing, it'll often spark another idea, etc. And there are of course some rough pieces that need pointing out so they can be fixed and/or polished up.

Another thing you might want to look at is filling out the weapons roster a little bit.  The scarcity mechanics are in a good enough spot for right now and I enjoy the compromises they force you to make in terms of black market transactions and 'best available' fittings, but there are a few gaps where weapon substitutions basically don't exist.  The ballistic kinetic line is an example of availability done well; high-end weapons like Needlers and Railguns are in limited supply and often unavailable without faction standings or luck off the black market, but Autocannons provide serviceable replacements that are commonly available.  You might not always be able to fit out a ship exactly the way you want, but you will be able to get close enough, and making those compromises is part of the core survival aspect of the game.

The issue mostly emerges with the ballistic explosive line.  At the small gun level, the only serviceable option is the Light Assault Gun.  They aren't exactly rare, but they aren't readily available in the early game where they are most important and if you can't get any then too bad, Mortars are a joke, so your Lasher just sucks against armor.  Mediums are in a similar spot, where they only two options are the Assault Chaingun, which is now a 450 range chainsaw, and the Heavy Mauler, a premium grade weapon that is rightly limited in supply.  An analogue to the Heavy Autocannon (good-enough generalist filler gun that you can find almost anywhere) is badly needed to plug the gap, since as it stands by the time you get your first Destroyer you may once again find yourself with no reasonable options for explosive damage.

Again, being forced to compromise your loadouts (or reputations) by availability is a good thing an and integral part of the game's design.  Being unable to fit out your ships because basic weapon categories either don't exist or are only very scarcely available takes it a bit too far.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 24, 2015, 12:00:10 PM »

Worse than ballistics are energy weapons.  Only mining laser is available in open market.  The rest require welcoming relations (or black market), which trigger the endgame even if you are not ready for it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 24, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »

Also, assault chaingun costs too much flux.  Putting more than one on an Enforcer is not very smart even with Safety Override, and you should think twice before putting one on a Hammerhead.  If I do not plan to use Safety Override on a ship, Heavy Mauler is the only viable medium HE, and with the damage lowered, it is not as good as it used to be for all-purpose assault.  (Mauler is still good if you really need the range.)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 24, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »

Also, assault chaingun costs too much flux.  Putting more than one on an Enforcer is not very smart even with Safety Override, and you should think twice before putting one on a Hammerhead.  If I do not plan to use Safety Override on a ship, Heavy Mauler is the only viable medium HE, and with the damage lowered, it is not as good as it used to be for all-purpose assault.  (Mauler is still good if you really need the range.)

Disagree with this, the poor range and flux efficiency of the Heavy ACG can be made up for by mounting PD with good DPS, like machine guns. On the Hammerhead, it works out quite nicely.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 90