Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: [completed] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg  (Read 6119 times)

memeextremist

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [Poll] Migrating the unofficial wiki from Fandom to wiki.gg
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2024, 08:17:42 PM »

yes

SamuraiProgrammer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2024, 08:52:16 PM »

Yes, please. Anywhere but fandom.  Today I couldn’t even read an article on my iPad because an ad persistently covered part of the text. 

Hatter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2024, 08:56:09 PM »

Fandom ads make the mobile site difficult to navigate. I'm in favor of any alternative that lessens that.

Lawrence Master-blaster

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2024, 10:43:30 PM »

So the tl;dr is:

- Fandom has intrusive ads
 - Fandom is bad on mobile

To which I can only say:

- WTF are you doing on the Internet without an adblock
 - WTF are you doing browsing(or even worse, editing) a wiki on mobile

Quote from: Histidine
A number of involved persons (principally myself, editor Kelenius, and co-admin TheWikiFish) at the wiki are now looking at a move to wiki.gg as well.

Cool, so will these people actually update the new wiki? Because I recognize your name from Fandom but I never saw you actually do any patch changes; and the other two I have never heard about.

Maybe you should worry more about the content of a wiki before you worry about how it looks like.

Siffrin

• Captain
  • Thermal Signature Detected
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2024, 11:08:05 PM »

So the tl;dr is:

To which I can only say:

A number of involved persons (principally myself, editor Kelenius, and co-admin TheWikiFish) at the wiki are now looking at a move to wiki.gg as well.

Cool, so will these people actually update the new wiki? Because I recognize your name from Fandom but I never saw you actually do any patch changes; and the other two I have never heard about.

Maybe you should worry more about the content of a wiki before you worry about how it looks like.
I'm sure everyone here on the forum uses an ad-block but the thing is that not every person searching the fandom wiki for Starsector is also a member of the forum. The vast majority of people using the Internet do not have ad-blockers I thought that was obvious enough? Also we have the classic "I have never seen something before so it must not be true" but moving on, being a fandom shill really isn't doing you any favours here.
Gods most reckless Odyssey captain.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2024, 11:11:33 PM »

God, I'm so sick of fandom wiki.

MN64

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2024, 11:23:38 PM »

Fandom is an absolute dumpster fire in practically every possible way.  I am all for migrating off of that site but to be honest relying on ANY host outside of the control of the people maintaining the wiki itself is less than ideal.  Fandom used to be pretty good and actually usable.  Over the years it fell more and more into the thought of "but what if we sold out to make a lot of money?"  There really isnt any guarantee that all of these other alternatives wont do the same at the end of the day.  In an ideal world the wiki would be hosted independently or merged directly into the starsector site itself.  Though the latter of that would push the whole thing pretty far from "unofficial" at the end of the day.  Neither are truly realistic options for varying reasons but the more wikis that move off of fandom the better.

So the tl;dr is:

To which I can only say:

If the site itself is so plastered with ads with extremely questionable UI formatting and an absolutely egregious history of basically exploitation.  There is no defending the kind of horrible things that fandom has done is doing and will continue to do in the future.  Its not as simple as "just install an ad blocker bruh."  The entire site and how it is ran is absolutely rotten to the core.  And yes sometimes people browse the internet on phones.  Its kind of a major use case of them now so a mobile client that isnt absolute garbage is important.

TheWetFish

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2024, 11:30:55 PM »

And if it becomes similar to the Terraria wiki on wiki.gg the UI and organization of info would be much clearer too.
Any specific features that are clearer for you or more of a general feel of the whole UI they are using? 

If Alex endorses it then we can call the new wiki the official one.
In an ideal world the wiki would be hosted independently or merged directly into the starsector site itself.
The anticipation is that this wiki will be unofficial, same as the previous and for the same reasons.  Having an official wiki means that Alex would be responsible for it and need to direct attention away from Starsector development for it. 
Alex has been excellent about granting sensibly limited permission for assets to be used for wiki purposes and for answering questions to ensure accurate information.  So we have a lot of the benefits of being an official wiki but without distracting Alex very much. 
Independent hosting has been discussed, a few times and the short answer we currently have neither a patron nor are not prepared to set up to take donations for it at this time.  It is a moving target so we'll see what the future holds.

Not an unreasonable point but also ouch.  I guess the short answer is that the content is very important, remains very important and will still consistently get worked on, on a volunteer basis.
There is a whole team of volunteers performing excellent and various wiki editor tasks over on the unofficial Starsector discord.  If there are specific things that attention needs to be called to then discord is usually the best way to let us know, or if you are are interested in editing the wiki yourself.  Starsector can be a particularly complex game with a wide breadth of information and community contributions help us out a lot. 

MN64

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2024, 11:45:24 PM »

Yeah my points about the independent hosting or official wiki really were just wishing more than anything.  Neither are actual realistic options for a lot of reasons even if they are the best way to ensure that nobody else has the tools to swoop in and screw with your content.

Alices

• Ensign
    • View Profile
hmm
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2024, 01:13:59 AM »

I think anyone who’s used the Fandom page can agree that migrating is necessary at this point. Their platform isn't much more than an ad-service these days.

Even with an ad-blocker you're still bombarded with inherently invasive UI.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:16:11 AM by Alices »

Okawal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2024, 02:05:23 AM »

Do you need any help with the (soon to be) new wiki? My editor experience on the old wiki was only in removing / changing outdated ship infos but if there is something i can help with, please let me know.

Challanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2024, 02:11:35 AM »

Histidine, why u made external poll instead of in-site poll?  :o
Afraid of something!?  >:(
Single question like Yes/No would be enough for everybody to see the tensions, while you can attach any additional polls after.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2024, 02:30:09 AM »

Histidine, why u made external poll instead of in-site poll?  :o
Afraid of something!?  >:(
I wanted more flexibility and the ability for people to submit responses without a forum account. Results not being publicly visible was a bit of an oversight; just needed to flick a switch and... here.

Challanger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2024, 02:40:30 AM »

Results not being publicly visible was a bit of an oversight; just needed to flick a switch and... here.
F Eah! Now we are rolling 8)
All charges dropped ;D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2024, 04:03:50 AM »

Looking at responses, only 25% of them came from the forum. It was a right call to make it website independent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6