Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 482

Author Topic: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]  (Read 2234133 times)

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
Re: Spriters judgement thread [non-sprite art allowed]
« Reply #5460 on: July 19, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »

I swear I have the memory span of a goldfish.

That's all right, some of us here had worse. ;D

Especially me, frankly.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #5461 on: July 19, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »

Nicely done  ;D

The turret on the middle needs a circle around its edge, I guess. It doesn't stand out as much as a turret mount should.

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5462 on: July 19, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »

That's some great feedback sir.

And yes the two semicircles sections are meant to be cargo bays, which is why this specific hull is far heavier looking than what I usually go for.

From what I have understood so far tech level mostly relates to the use of energy weapons, stuff like the phase skimmer and stronger shields, so I'm perfectly fine with having my ships being low tech, as soon as this doesn't flat out translate to being heavily inferior to high tech or midline ships.
The concept I start from with most of these designs is having an huge reactor means the ships are very fast when going in a straight line, hence trading off shields and weaponry with the ability of engaging and disengaging at their leisure, with the major weakness of being intercepted while turning. -I was actually aiming for having most of them shieldless-
I will have most military ships having two or three smaller (But still relatively huge) reactors, to have better turning ability.

Did a little research on what the hound and cerberus are like, and yes, it should fall in that category, being faster than both but turning fairly worse than the Hound, which from what I've seen is pretty agile, which leads me to believe turrets would be far more effective than hardpoints on this specific design.

I like your weapons placements, I just need to design some adequate turret mounts I guess, as helmut made me notice the vanilla ones stand out too much on my designs, also thank you for being specific on the turret mounts sizes, that's gonna help me a lot.

Edit: Here's the babe:

Spoiler
[close]

Edit2: I forgot the cargo doors. I swear I have the memory span of a goldfish.

Oh nice. Like Aron0621 said though, the center mount is kinda hard to tell part.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5463 on: July 19, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Oh very nice.  Quite a bade indeed.

Glad to see another talented spriter join the forums.  I quite like like your rather subdued style.  Also your rather Y-Wingish engine nacelles.  All in all a very distinctive approach, and the results are quite nice.  Looking forward to more.  :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5464 on: July 19, 2015, 04:13:15 PM »

Tried a different way (again :P) of doing things.

I like both color schemes, but blue is used so much in SS that I'll probably stick with the orange for the actual faction.

[Edit]
And I did some rough chopping on it too just to see what it would look like:

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:29:03 PM by Thaago »

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5465 on: July 19, 2015, 04:59:35 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Oh very nice.  Quite a bade indeed.

Glad to see another talented spriter join the forums.  I quite like like your rather subdued style.  Also your rather Y-Wingish engine nacelles.  All in all a very distinctive approach, and the results are quite nice.  Looking forward to more.  :)

Coming from Mr Shadowyards himself this is one huge compliment, I love your designs.  :)
Also, Y-Wing reactors are so damn cool, I can't get over it.

Nicely done  ;D

The turret on the middle needs a circle around its edge, I guess. It doesn't stand out as much as a turret mount should.
cutthestuffIsaidtomakethequotereasonablyshorter.
Oh nice. Like Aron0621 said though, the center mount is kinda hard to tell part.

Thanks again for the feedback.
Yeah, I guess it doesn't really stand out as much as it should, I'm making a variant for my medium mount for designs like this. Gonna post an update once I add that and the cargo doors.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:04:41 PM by Lind »

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5466 on: July 19, 2015, 09:52:19 PM »

Coming from Mr Shadowyards himself this is one huge compliment, I love your designs.  :)

Yeah, I guess it doesn't really stand out as much as it should, I'm making a variant for my medium mount for designs like this. Gonna post an update once I add that and the cargo doors.  ;)
On an off-topic note, I like your taste in avatar. :P

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5467 on: July 20, 2015, 11:10:54 AM »

Coming from Mr Shadowyards himself this is one huge compliment, I love your designs.  :)

Yeah, I guess it doesn't really stand out as much as it should, I'm making a variant for my medium mount for designs like this. Gonna post an update once I add that and the cargo doors.  ;)
On an off-topic note, I like your taste in avatar. :P
Esdeath is the best thing ever happened to animekind.  :P
---

I swear, there's a part of me that's deeply ashamed of this..

Spoiler
I present you the I'mtotallynotaY-WingRipoff  Uh.. Not Y-Wing? ... Ishouldgetsued.. I.. Don't know-Class.

My question is, should I add small hardpoints on the front of the reactors or maybe one to the helm, or would that be too much? It's pretty much a larger hound with less cargo space as it is.

Edit: Fun fact, since i went by memory and redesigned the helm part I was looking at images of the Y-Wing to see how much i ripped it off, found out it even has a turret on the helm, this is truly shameful. On the bright side, the reactors are slightly different.
[close]
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 11:21:36 AM by Lind »

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5468 on: July 20, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »

That Y-wingesqe frigate actually made my innards warms... for some reason.

I'd love to see more of these Star Wars configurations, not as too similar but the essence of it, since it has been long. But if you choose something else, I'd love it still. ;D

Spoiler
Pardon me with my rather confusion descriptives.

IT'S A TRAP.
[close]

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5469 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:04 PM »

---

Spoiler
I present you the I'mtotallynotaY-WingRipoff  Uh.. Not Y-Wing? ... Ishouldgetsued.. I.. Don't know-Class.

My question is, should I add small hardpoints on the front of the reactors or maybe one to the helm, or would that be too much? It's pretty much a larger hound with less cargo space as it is.

Edit: Fun fact, since i went by memory and redesigned the helm part I was looking at images of the Y-Wing to see how much i ripped it off, found out it even has a turret on the helm, this is truly shameful. On the bright side, the reactors are slightly different.
[close]

Aw yeah, that's the stuff.  Definitely is a rather serious callback to the old Y-Wing though.  Not sure what I'd suggest to move it back from that, though.  As for the armament 1 or 2 hardpoints probably would be fine, either on the nose or the nacelle's.  The only particular issue that spring to mind is the ships volume, which a bit on the large side for what's presumably a frigate.  Mostly it's the... uh... thrust vanes?  Thinking about it I'm not entirely sure what purpose those spindly cages on the of the pods served...

Er anyway, coming along well. :)

On my end finally have the Clade-class destroyer (mostly) ready:

Spoiler
[close]

The engine effects are not quite perfect yet, and the lack of lights while they're thrusting leaves it looking a bit flat.  I've more stuff in the works for the next release than just this ship though, so not gonna be ready for a while yet.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5470 on: July 20, 2015, 09:08:57 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Hot darn (well, I don't swear).

Anyway, that ship looks nice. It would be better if the engines rotate as the ship does, or do they already done it?

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5471 on: July 21, 2015, 04:53:33 AM »

---

Spoiler

[close]

Aw yeah, that's the stuff.  Definitely is a rather serious callback to the old Y-Wing though.  Not sure what I'd suggest to move it back from that, though.  As for the armament 1 or 2 hardpoints probably would be fine, either on the nose or the nacelle's.  The only particular issue that spring to mind is the ships volume, which a bit on the large side for what's presumably a frigate.  Mostly it's the... uh... thrust vanes?  Thinking about it I'm not entirely sure what purpose those spindly cages on the of the pods served...

Er anyway, coming along well. :)

On my end finally have the Clade-class destroyer (mostly) ready:

Spoiler
[close]

The engine effects are not quite perfect yet, and the lack of lights while they're thrusting leaves it looking a bit flat.  I've more stuff in the works for the next release than just this ship though, so not gonna be ready for a while yet.

I've noticed that is recurring with a bunch of the frigates i released/I'm working on, while the hull and cargo are mostly even smaller than the vast majority of the frigates I see around here, the reactors more often than not make them twice the size of an average frigate, the deal is, if I make the reactors smaller they lose a lot of details, so perhaps I'll try and make them shorter.
From what I can tell the reactors in the original designs have that size for fast side thrusting, in the Star Wars universe the Y-Wing is a starfighter after all.
Also looked up a Y-Wing again, the rollcage part of the reactor is actually fairly shorter than mine.

Thinking about it I'm not entirely sure what purpose those spindly cages on the of the pods served...
*cough* Cool factor *cough*

Regarding your Clade-Class:
Not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of your colour schemes, and that looks like it's gonna end up being one sexy lady, I love that engine concept, the fact that keeps the simmetry without being mirrored, and the nose part looks pretty damn cool. Looking forward to seeing it finished.  ;)

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5472 on: July 21, 2015, 05:47:18 AM »

Anyway, that ship looks nice. It would be better if the engines rotate as the ship does, or do they already done it?

The engine pods are vectoring.  The effect is not quite ideal yet--there's some flickering at certain angles or while having your ship turn to look at the mouse, the directions don't match up perfectly, and the engines don't fire while the ships system is online.  But it's working, somewhat.

I've noticed that is recurring with a bunch of the frigates i released/I'm working on, while the hull and cargo are mostly even smaller than the vast majority of the frigates I see around here, the reactors more often than not make them twice the size of an average frigate, the deal is, if I make the reactors smaller they lose a lot of details, so perhaps I'll try and make them shorter.
From what I can tell the reactors in the original designs have that size for fast side thrusting, in the Star Wars universe the Y-Wing is a starfighter after all.
Also looked up a Y-Wing again, the rollcage part of the reactor is actually fairly shorter than mine.

Thinking about it I'm not entirely sure what purpose those spindly cages on the of the pods served...
*cough* Cool factor *cough*

Well, gotta be cool.  In any case, yeah it can be difficult sometimes trying to balance a desired level of detail vs the size of the sprite.  One of the things without an especially ideal answer unfortunately.

Regarding your Clade-Class:
Not gonna lie, I'm a big fan of your colour schemes, and that looks like it's gonna end up being one sexy lady, I love that engine concept, the fact that keeps the simmetry without being mirrored, and the nose part looks pretty damn cool. Looking forward to seeing it finished.  Wink

Well, I'll do my best.  Thank you very much :D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:52:38 AM by MShadowy »

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5473 on: July 21, 2015, 05:59:10 AM »

I present you the I'mtotallynotaY-WingRipoff  Uh.. Not Y-Wing? ... Ishouldgetsued.. I.. Don't know-Class.

You don't have to use big sized weapon mounts on top of your ship if it doesn't fit too great, you could use inbuilt weapon or use hidden weaponmounts at the front of the side engines/wings. This would leave the nice sprite as a whole.

Lind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5474 on: July 21, 2015, 07:08:10 AM »

I present you the I'mtotallynotaY-WingRipoff  Uh.. Not Y-Wing? ... Ishouldgetsued.. I.. Don't know-Class.

You don't have to use big sized weapon mounts on top of your ship if it doesn't fit too great, you could use inbuilt weapon or use hidden weaponmounts at the front of the side engines/wings. This would leave the nice sprite as a whole.

Wait, wait, wait. You mean ships can have weapons that don't need a visible mount?
Pages: 1 ... 363 364 [365] 366 367 ... 482