Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Author Topic: Starsector state in China  (Read 6499 times)

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Starsector state in China
« on: June 28, 2015, 05:46:43 AM »

It is interesting that the unofficial forums for the Chinese community see over 100 posts a day, granted most of it is chatter small talk.
http://tieba.baidu.com/f?kw=%D4%B6%D0%D0%D0%C7%BA%C5&fr=ala0&loc=rec

They even have a Chinese Wikipedia page on it, some of the information is wrong like stating the game is from "united states"
http://baike.baidu.com/view/8276777.htm

A rough estimation on how popular it is.

Starsector wiki page has : 44k views
X:Rebirth has : 72k views
Both games do not have Chinese support, and players have to jump through insane hoops to play. (pirate or not)
Eve online: 1billion view on the same site, it has a Chinese server and support.

But look at the community followers

Starsector : 5800 followers
X:Rebirth : 800 followers
Eve online: 227k followers

Most common ways for players to play atm is to download the "cracked" latest version of the game, some community members also privately share keys. It is not because they don't want to buy the game. The price is 60RMB converted which is enough for a nice dinner for two (non street food), or half a day of rent in the city. But rather currently there is no way for Chinese people to pay, the only way is trough alipay or paypal with alipay/union pay enabled. Those are the usual ways to pay for foreign things online, and its extremely easy to set up that basically most Chinese highschool students already use it on a regular basis.

Chinese people are notorious for being English illiterate, even university graduates who are required to take English every semester and pass multiple exams still have trouble reading the most basic things. Further even English majors would have serious trouble navigating a game in English.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector state in China
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 05:53:48 AM »

An honest & valuable insight, thanks for posting!

I hope Alex spots this.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 06:13:28 AM »

Actually a small correction, X:Rebirth can be bought in steam by any Chinese kid with a basic bankcard, and steam has many Chinese servers and many Chinese gamers use steam regularly.

Judging from the server lists of games like ArmA3, Dirtybomb, Minecraft, Dont Starve - multiplayer, etcetc. there are more people playing on steam in China than Korea, Japan, Russia combined. Tho ArmA3 is pretty popular in Russia.

ArmA 3 alone, at night time there is 2 90/90 full king of the hill servers, and atlest a few wasteland servers with 40-50 people in it, also plus various other maps, why? Because its on steam and there is chinese language support. (They are HORRIBLE at ArmA tho  :D)

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »

Huh, looking at that discussion board, some of the Starsector ships have fanart of them as cute girls. :V

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:28:17 PM »

Now, I'm curious about that... But I can't read the print... @~@

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
  • Murdered by T. H. Morgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 11:04:52 PM »

Smilence.
A not-so-noob functional geneticist
And a free bug hunter
Code and decode almost everythings with a genomics approach.
Served in Neutrino corporation as a long-term services and supports staff.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 01:29:45 AM »

Huh, looking at that discussion board, some of the Starsector ships have fanart of them as cute girls. :V

I can imagine this to almost always happened to either Japanese or Chinese scenario most likely to be a Valkyrian ship, if aspects do apply with mods.

Otherwise, get ready to clasp some hands.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:55:16 AM »

Chrome, right click, translate to (broken) English.

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
  • Murdered by T. H. Morgan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 04:13:27 AM »

Chrome, right click, translate to (broken) English.

And you will get Googleish.

Chinese to English translate is already bad enough, plus some joke and typo form Chinese...well, it can LMAF.
A not-so-noob functional geneticist
And a free bug hunter
Code and decode almost everythings with a genomics approach.
Served in Neutrino corporation as a long-term services and supports staff.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

I have become adapted to Googlish over time, but admittedly it does a better job with Russian than Chinese but in the end it is terrible at either language...

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »

I heard it does moderately well(for a translator) in English - Japanese... We Koreans use Korean->Japanese since it works well too, and then Japanese->English. Or vice versa. It is better than Korean<->English direct translation.

Wouldn't there be a similar route for Chinese?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 10:49:57 PM by Aron0621 »

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 11:25:52 PM »

That makes me thing of ... well, a fliter machine. Pump the junk through once, "Okay, now it's ... not so junky." put the not so junky junk in a again, agian agina, "HEY! I finally found something!... ... An old shoe! :D "

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 01:00:27 AM »

I heard it does moderately well(for a translator) in English - Japanese... We Koreans use Korean->Japanese since it works well too, and then Japanese->English. Or vice versa. It is better than Korean<->English direct translation.

Wouldn't there be a similar route for Chinese?

Not really, Chinese is hard because its sentence structure logic is non static, unlike Japanese, Korean, and English along with most other languages, sentence composition is not based on a logic of subject, and its verbs and adjectives. Even tho in most spoken Chinese it dose have this logic, but it does not need to, especially in written form. It is actually based on what word is spoken, and topic matter along with formality that determines what logic it should follow, if any lol.

This is why when I speak or write English sometimes my sentence structure logic is everywhere, been living in China for too long D: