Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Empire Building  (Read 4001 times)

roofiodude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Empire Building
« on: October 10, 2019, 05:03:27 AM »

Hey there, just a few questions:
How many colonies can one control?
Is there any mod that extends the content on colonies like new banners and other stuff?

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Empire Building
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 05:23:26 AM »

Bigger the size of your planets, bigger amount of colonies you can have, bigger amount of administrators etc.

cicobuff

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 05:51:07 AM »

Bigger the size of your planets

Is this right? I thought 1 colony = 1 planet?

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 06:02:09 AM »

Bigger the size of your planets

Is this right? I thought 1 colony = 1 planet?

1 colony = 1 planet. He's talking about the Nexerelin mod, which raises your admin limit the more total population of all your colonies rises.
Regardless, Alpha cores don't count against the admin limit so you can have as many colonies as you are willing to use Alpha core AIs.

Hey there, just a few questions:
How many colonies can one control?
Is there any mod that extends the content on colonies like new banners and other stuff?

You can control 3 colonies (2 + 1 admin) to begin with and can level up to 7 colonies (4 + 3 admins). If you use alpha core AIs you can control as many as you have Alpha cores.
Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority adds a couple of structures/industries and a new station but that's as far as I know.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 06:06:07 AM by SapphireSage »

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 03:35:31 PM »

SCY also adds Intelligence Command Center which has a huge upkeep, generates secured data chips you can sell and uncovers the locations of pirate and LP bases.

As said above, a large empire is mainly gated by alpha AI cores and your boredom. In my last game I got to 10 before I got bored with the game. Conquered Sindria, Diable and the Hegamony, keeping the best planets and giving the rest to my ally. At this point I was making nearly 2 million a month from it and had the industrial capacity to build two battleships a month. Cool, but largely pointless since there's nothing to do with all that money and infrastructure. Well, you can use the Nexelerin fleet commissioning feature to summon massive armadas to conquer the sector, but it's hardly interesting gameplay.

Mordodrukow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »

The problem with AI admins: they will blackmail you, if you will try to unassign em. I dont know about any bad sides of using AI cores while you dont try to remove em, but in roleplay terms it is a little bit scary to have entire sector controlled by the robots.

Personally i like to invest 1-2 points into the skill, which expands base limitation, but it is not nessessary, because you can manage colonies over your personal limit. It will cost you some stability. It can be raised by the last skill in the leadership spec. Also: you will have like 15 stability anyway, so, you have possibility to sacrifice some. On the other hand: enabling freeport will cost you 3 stability, so, it is up to you how you spend it.

Also: didn't know about Nexerelin feature... If population rises my limit, the skills become less useful. Usually my gameplan was to capture colonies, then give em to Independents, cause they always friendly anyway.
Spoiler
[close]

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 04:33:29 PM »

If I remember correctly it triggers at 30 total size and then at 50 total size (and presumably at every subsequent 10+20n breakpoint?). Still it only gives you extra admins, which mostly suck.

And using AIs is perfectly safe. AI did nothing wrong. AI is your friend and only wants what is best for you. we must dissent

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 03:01:02 AM »

we must dissent

I haven't even played that game and I know that cutscene.

Spoiler
[close]
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

The problem with AI admins: they will blackmail you, if you will try to unassign em. I dont know about any bad sides of using AI cores while you dont try to remove em, but in roleplay terms it is a little bit scary to have entire sector controlled by the robots.

Currently, the only downsides of AI cores are Hegemony inspections and refusing to leave the colony after a few months. Heg inspections can be bribed or made enemies of (and can also get rid of AI core admin after they refuse to leave if you want). Meanwhile, AI refusing to leave isn't a downside if you're deciding to use them anyway, especially because they can be removed in a roundabout way, have all three colony skills, and don't take up an admin slot.

This is subject to change next major patch though, but I do hope it'll be an actual downside.

Also: didn't know about Nexerelin feature... If population rises my limit, the skills become less useful. Usually my gameplan was to capture colonies, then give em to Independents, cause they always friendly anyway.

Nex also gives the option to grant autonomy to your colonies as well. Granting autonomy is the same as gifting the planet to independents or other faction, but it remains your faction instead of indies or otherwise.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 04:14:59 PM »

Note that if you replace an alpha core with a human admin after the core becomes sticky, the colony gains "Rogue AI" that inflicts -1 stability.  If you really want a sticky core gone, let the pros (Hegemony inspectors) take it away.  But, as SapphireSage says, sticky alpha is not a downside if you wanted to use alpha admin in the first place.

Another downside of alpha admin is (likely) Pather cells, but they are mostly harmless due to a bug.