Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small question about gravity.  (Read 3139 times)

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
Small question about gravity.
« on: November 24, 2015, 02:14:06 PM »

I was in the market and was reading about the station in orbit around Jangala, it said that it had a rotating habitat for artificial gravity. I had thought that the artificial gravity is more advanced in Starsector's universe, so is there other forms of gravity or is this it? And if that is it does that mean that the ships we fly have no gravity.

PS, Looking at pictures it looks like the internals of the ships are designed around them having gravity...

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Small question about gravity.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »

Well, the big advantage of spin gravity is that it doesn't cost any energy to maintain. So for permanent habitats it seems like the only economic design, at least as long as energy is not free. That is assuming that starsector ships operate another of those pseudo-scientific devices that magically turn electricity into force, like almost all major sci-fi shows.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:28:24 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 02:30:48 PM »

Well, the big advantage of spin gravity is that it doesn't cost any energy to maintain. So for permanent habitats it seems like the only economic design, at least as long as energy is not free.

That about sums up the canonical lore position on the matter.

It's kinda like how we have the technology today to take helicopters from home to work every day -- as the future was imagined back in pulp magazines of like the 1920s. There are however very good reasons why we don't do this and similar reasons can be applied to AG in the world of Starsector. Helicopters are, of course, very useful for certain commercial and military applications and find routine use there. Just as AG does in the world of Starsector.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »

Say David, are there any internal notes about how technologies work in the Sector universe? Especially drives, which don't seem to be reaction based (in combat) would interest me.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

Say David, are there any internal notes about how technologies work in the Sector universe? Especially drives, which don't seem to be reaction based (in combat) would interest me.

There are internal notes, but I wouldn't want to release them. I certainly don't want to pull a midichlorians on Starsector or ruin the fun of trying to figure out what's what from the in-game descriptions. (There's also something to be said for keeping certain questions open to interpretation.)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 03:31:11 PM »

Understandable. But it's nice to know that there is at least something to guess at :)