Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Please, make trader missions!  (Read 3152 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Please, make trader missions!
« on: November 20, 2015, 07:01:49 PM »

Ooooh, new version! Finally!

So I download the version, fight Windows a couple times, and after an hour, I am ready to go.

So I create my trader again (so I can see the new systems and whatnot).

Get promptly killed by the luddic people.

Since I jsut started, create new char!

Get to hyperspace!

Luddic people swarm on me, kill me...

New char!

Decide to dock in a random planet that has no station... Wait, what is this comm thing?

Oh, missions! Delivery missions!

Then... wait, wat? All missions, in every single star, in every single planet, in every single station are to deliver illegal goods! I am a trader, not a smuggler! I don't want to trade guns, organs, drugs, and so on!

Oh wait, a mission to deliver supplies, that I can do! But wait, why is it in red? Why there is a red cross in the faction that wants it?

*** this, I will start over as bounty hunter... and make a forum post complaining.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Re: Please, make trader missions!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:09:17 PM »

That is the first, and currently only, mission types available. Expect more varities later. Now it is in the first step of implementation.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:13:26 PM by Aron0621 »

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 07:29:00 PM »

That what?

Smuggling missions?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 07:33:43 PM »

Delivery missions are perfectly fine, even if they're to Pirates.  If you're starting as a Smuggler, you can do that fine with Pirates and not suffer any penalties with the other "lawful" factions.  They're an excellent way to build up a ton of credits.  Just remember to turn off your transponder and make sure there's no fleets looking for you before you dock to finish it.

That aside, you can do "procurement" missions for lots of lawful factions.  In fact, one of the most common is getting Harvested Organs and delivering them to a medical officer on another planet (in broad daylight too - no need to turn off your transponder to finish it).

Hint - turn off your Transponder when in Hyperspace - the Patrols generally won't pester you and you avoid broadcasting your presence to every corner of Hyperspace.  You don't get swarmed by those crazies nearly as much. ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 07:35:45 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

I did saw those missions to lawful factions, but they all want illegal goods... at least as far as I know (I haven't found non-blackmarket sellers of lobster, handweapons, harvested organs and drugs).

And the one mission I saw with a legal good (supplies), it was being asked by a pirate.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:57:01 PM by speeder »

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:33:57 PM »

not all of those goods are illegal goods to every faction. check in the factions tab for whats illegal.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »

Yea, "illegal" is a matter of perspective.  You can find all the goods that the Hegemony find "illegal" floating in decent amounts in the Free Market of Tri-Tachyon stations.

Also, does a Pirate always want illegal goods?  He can ask for Supplies or Fuel is he needs it. :P

Also, what's with you and not wanting illegal goods?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Musaab

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »

Am I mistaken that I saw missions for legal stuff?  Like "take some Domestic Goods to this place, etc..."

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 12:47:32 AM »

Am I mistaken that I saw missions for legal stuff?  Like "take some Domestic Goods to this place, etc..."

You get them as well, but most of the time you need to transport either drugs or organs.

The numbers are hilarious as well, I once saw a mission to transport 1000 organs within 10 days or so. The payout was around 1.5 million, but good luck finding the goods.

Tomn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:11:39 AM »

I'm not entirely certain, but it feels like delivery missions are actually dynamically generated based on shortages - if a station has absolutely no supplies and haven't had any for a while, it'll put out a high-paying mission to entice someone to actually bring their supplies in, for instance.  It would certainly explain why most missions are either illegal (because there's very few people moving illegal goods around) or low-profit (because the shortage isn't THAT bad).

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 01:18:32 AM »

If the shortage goes on long enough, or is deep enough, then trader missions for even legal goods can get to ridiculous heights.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 01:44:33 AM »

On my current game, I'm basically slowly eating through the 87k earned on a 100 unit supply run from Corvus to Askonia, so it can work generously for legal goods.

Back to a single lasher, with 45k in the bank ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 04:42:14 AM »

I imagine some trading skills are coming up in the next update. Decreasing tariff penalties, increasing reputation gains from trading, being better able to hack those relays without being caught, all those things are the sort that should make being an honest trader easier and more lucrative.

Plus, eventually we'll be able to start/take our own settlements, as I understand...

Still, this update made being a trader much more interesting than in the last ones. Getting a good score takes some time, thinking and even luck, but they can be very lucrative when you do.