Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ability to disable ship systems  (Read 1727 times)

Tixios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ability to disable ship systems
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:53:29 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/2012/05/23/ship-systems/

I would be delighted to be able to disable burn drive system on my enforcers so that they won't suicide burn drive into enemies
or any other system that I find undesireable for that matter.

It would be done with hull mods that could possibly award you ordinance points in exchange for that system.
The officers are coming hopefully, but this would a be failsafe should even a cowardly officer charge blindly into reaper armed frigate.

Thoughts?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to disable ship systems
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 07:04:48 AM »

The one ship system I dislike most is Accelerated Ammo Feeder.  The ships that have it have mediocre flux stats, the AI uses it recklessly, build-up flux to the max very quickly if firing anything bigger than a Mortar or LMG, overloads when enemies shoot back, then die!

I know 0.7 makes Accelerated Ammo Feeder gives a flux discount, and adds Safety Override hullmod; I do not know if those will be enough.

As for the original suggestion, there are not very many ship systems that are detrimental to ships.  Maybe something to put in the window that sets weapon groups and alternating/linked as a checkbox.

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »

The one ship system I dislike most is Accelerated Ammo Feeder.  The ships that have it have mediocre flux stats, the AI uses it recklessly, build-up flux to the max very quickly

I noticed that AI has problems [not] watching its flux with any system and probably even without one. I see two aspects of it.

1. AI is't using small and very small time windows to vent if flux is low and if there's any threat from any side. Taking the risk of ignoring minor threats (taking into account damage type, armor etc.) would allow it to vent some flux and sustain in battle longer. On the other side, exploiting this behavior is the key tactics to defeat huge capitals with smaller forces.
Maybe some 'risky' officer in the upcoming release could change this behavior.

2. Preferring raising flux to armor damage is not always optimal. Sometimes it's better to take minor armor damage and save flux for more pressing moment or for counter attack. AI doesn't consider this.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 07:42:53 AM by Taizo Puckett »

Tixios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:03 AM »

As for the original suggestion, there are not very many ship systems that are detrimental to ships.  Maybe something to put in the window that sets weapon groups and alternating/linked as a checkbox.

Oh I like this idea very much. It would probably be easier to implement too.