Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: So no talk about the new weapons, huh?  (Read 22432 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
So no talk about the new weapons, huh?
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »

Or maybe I'm just blind? Anyways, Alex mentioned in one of the blogs that we're getting some new official weapons (at least 2). So, what are you all hoping for?

Ballistics: Honestly, I feel ballistic weapons are pretty solid right now across all the sizes. Just sitting here and quickly thinking about it I can't come up with a ballistic weapon that would feel unique enough to warrant its inclusion.

Energy: The IR Pulse Laser could really use a range bump to 600 - every nonbeam light energy weapon has pretty poor range and as a result light energy mounts are nothing more to me than a Tactical Laser or a PD weapon. I think some sort of sniper-type light energy weapon would work if it was hard hitting but with a very low RoF and a range of 700-800. I mean, the freakin Light Needler is rocking an 800 range! Medium energy... eh, the buffed Pulse Laser and the changes to the Phase Lance are pretty decent - again, medium energy weapons are somewhat lacking in the range department.

Missiles: I dunno. Possibly a homing-type missile with weaker damage but high armor/health thats designed to punch through PD (or at least absorb most the PD attacks to give a window to other missile weapons to hit) that isn't the Annihilator. Something you could fire 1 to 2 of at a ship and then fire a Reaper - the armored missiles would take all the PD hits and allow the Reaper a good chance to make it through.

What do you guys want? Maybe Alex could even spoil us and reveal one of the new weapons! :D

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: So no talk about the new weapons, huh?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 09:49:43 PM »

Some decent range energy projectile weapons might be in order. Right now it feels like that weapon type is a bit lacking compared to the other two.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »

More than two types of large missiles would be nice.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 11:38:07 PM »

Mmmh, I'd say a large rack of Atropos and a large rack of Harpoons. Or some high damage low rate of fire Ballistic small weapon... Or a projectile Energy PD? A medium Mirv missile? A medium/large Energy EMP based weapon...

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 01:52:19 AM »

large Energy EMP based weapon...
Tachyon Lances not good enough for you?

I agree with MesoTronik that some additional large missiles would be nice.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 03:32:18 AM »

Tachyon Lances are the pinacle of Awesome but Impractical.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:07:17 AM »

Tachyon Lances are the pinacle of Awesome but Impractical.
More like Crippling overspecilizaton, or a pure support weapon. Low DPS (but low flux), massive range is where most of it's power goes. However, it tears anything without shields apart, which with its range, means that if any enemy ship gets overloaded or loses shields, then a lance should be able to dead hull damage and apply it's payload of Emp, crippling that ship for a while/until it dies.

That said, it is mostly a sniper-support weapon, which focuses on dealing EMP damage. It cannot effectively break shields unless they are frigate tier (and that is iffy without 2 or more) and generally works best hanging back at max range, using that range (and no accuracy loss and PD like long range missiles have to deal with) taking opertunistic shots to oblitherate any enemy ships that lose shields.

Unfortunately, it is obscenely expensive, easily doubling the cost of whatever ship you equip them to, uses up a lot of OP, meaning that if you put them on a ship, it becomes a sniper, and is weaker at short range as a result.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 04:24:02 AM by Ranakastrasz »
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 06:18:54 AM »

Tachyon Lance is so weak that I prefer to mount Phase Lance over it in a large mount almost every time.  Then again, large energy weapons are underpowered enough that I put Heavy Blasters (or Phase Lance if I use Advanced Optics) most of the time in large energy mounts, or Mjolnir in large universal mounts.  Mjolnir beats plasma cannon in every way except DPS (barely) for less OP.

If Tachyon Lance will remain as it is, its OP cost should be lowered all the way down to no more than 22 OP, preferably 20 OP.  It is that weak!  Meanwhile, give us another real heavy beam weapon that will outperform Phase Lance and replace the current Tachyon Lance.

As for new weapons, all we, the players, only know is we will get some.  I see no need to speculate on what those weapons could be.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 06:28:26 AM »

The TL would be much nicer to use if it could pass over allied ships. That, and I wish its EMP arcs would affect fighters and missiles.

About new weapons, I would enjoy some more low tier weapons to accompany the addition of D-variants. I'm thinking re-purposed civilian equipment and homebrews.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:30 AM »

The TL would be much nicer to use if it could pass over allied ships.
But suddenly it becomes the most OP weapon in the game. A fleet of Sunders with a few Dominator punch-bags in front would be unstoppable.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 06:41:21 AM »

As for the OP...

While I have some minor gripes with ballistics, the most outstanding one is medium high-explosive options.  Assault Chaingun is crap, thanks to horrible accuracy and worse range than its kinetic counterpart, the Heavy Autocannon.  Either its accuracy and range should be improved, or its OP lowered to match Arbalest and Thumper and a new gun added to take its place and serve as a midpoint between Assault Chaingun and Heavy Mauler.

Agreed with small energy weapons.  Small mounts are only good for beam PD or the occasional ion cannon or AM blaster spam.  Medium is the best balanced size for energy weapons, but I would not mind a bit more range on most of them.  Heavy energy weapons are underpowered enough that medium weapons are usually a better choice.

About the only thing about missiles I can think of is we need more than two large missiles, and certainly more that the AI will use.  Cyclone Reaper is usually a waste of OP on the AI.  I want something I can use in the assault role, like versions of smaller weapons that either regenerate or have huge ammo count.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 06:55:43 AM »

The TL would be much nicer to use if it could pass over allied ships.
But suddenly it becomes the most OP weapon in the game. A fleet of Sunders with a few Dominator punch-bags in front would be unstoppable.

That seems exaggerated. TLs are weapons of opportunity, good for the sudden gap in a distracted enemy's shield. Passing over allies would allow to use more of those opportunities, it would not significantly influence its effectiveness on a fleet level. For example, there's now way a Dominator could shield more than two Sunders from frontal assault.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2015, 07:03:46 AM »

I like to see the Tachyon Lance kill things with a burst or two, like Phase Lance but better, while keeping its EMP.  Something that will make it worth its exorbitant OP cost.  If that is too much to ask, demote it to the likes of High Intensity Laser and give us a replacement.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »

I like to see the Tachyon Lance kill things with a burst or two, like Phase Lance but better, while keeping its EMP.  Something that will make it worth its exorbitant OP cost.  If that is too much to ask, demote it to the likes of High Intensity Laser and give us a replacement.

The TL was just that a few versions ago. If you stacked some, EG on a Odyssey or some Sunders, you could insta-kill any enemy frigate as soon as you saw it. That was fun but way to OP.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 07:19:24 AM »

That seems exaggerated. TLs are weapons of opportunity, good for the sudden gap in a distracted enemy's shield. Passing over allies would allow to use more of those opportunities, it would not significantly influence its effectiveness on a fleet level. For example, there's now way a Dominator could shield more than two Sunders from frontal assault.
Oh they would not follow too closely: at 3200 range with all hullmods they would stand far back, the Dominators are just baits riddled with kinetic weapons and PD.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6