Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Independent Change.  (Read 1732 times)

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
Independent Change.
« on: July 09, 2015, 11:54:01 PM »

One thing that really annoys me about this game is the independent "faction". When I think independent I don't think mercenaries coming to kill me after I off a smuggler who has just been trading with pirates. What I propose is to split this faction up, where we have something along the lines of a free trading guild, of traders and mercenaries who watch each others backs for a chance to get payed, and a truly independent "faction. The independents would work like advertised, smugglers and other shady/work for themselves types who aren't aligned with any other faction, or each other, so if you kill one, another won't care. Now one problem arises with this system, we don't want players rampantly murdering people without consequences, so I thought with the new range of detecting fleets in the upcoming update if you can kill someone while staying out of the range of say the Hegemony and they can't detect who you are(and maybe for an added level of difficulty you have to leave no survivors) you can escape. But if they do find you, you lose reputation and you have to pay a fine.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Independent Change.
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:46:49 AM »

I think transponder mechanics largely address this. For example, if you kill a smuggler and aren't identified, you only take a slight reputation hit (suspicion rather than certainty, etc).

(As to why independents would care, I think it actually makes sense. It's not that smugglers necessarily care about each other. It's that if they know you've attacked other independent types before, what makes them any different? Mercs might attack you because there's a behind-the-scenes bounty on you, or because you just look like an easy target and there's a ready-made excuse. Going further, it might even make sense if "the independents" were aligned with other factions, for example attacking them in Hegemony space would have repercussions with the Hegemony. You took out a smuggler in Hegemony space? You're basically a pirate in their eyes. But such alignment currently isn't a thing.)

Requal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Independent Change.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »

My issue was that I targeted a pirate smuggler and attacked it then saved the game after but didnt realise the smuggler turned from pirate to independent out of nowhere and I lost severe rep points with independent after.