Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Linux and mainly Games for it (General talk of Fun Linux things)  (Read 8832 times)

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile

For ***'s an giggles, who here is a linux user!? :D

*raises hand*

Who games on linux via the bleeding edge of wine or otherwise!? :D

*waves hand around*

WHAT SORT OF GAMES YOU GOT!?   }=D

A good few... Heavy Bullets, KSP, Pixel Piracy, Keeper RL, Stardrive 2, Reassembly. uam... Furcadia, What else... 0A.D. , Morrowind, oblivian... Guah, what else. enough to make me happy. oh, an duh, StarSector.

===============================
Edit: 7/5/15
===============================

For newcomers of the thread this is for Linux OS based discussion- mainly games but other programs as well and thoughts about it.
This is a place for people to drop information experiences and else-wise.
DEBATES of which OS is better and otherwise is to be taken to PM's or Moderators will be notified (if not having sniffed out trouble allready) if things don't get back on track.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:09:29 AM by Azmond »

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
  • Murdered by T. H. Morgan
    • View Profile
Re: Any linux users out there? Any linux gamers?! :P
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 01:42:56 AM »

I am a windows/linux duel system user but I never play games on linux...
A not-so-noob functional geneticist
And a free bug hunter
Code and decode almost everythings with a genomics approach.
Served in Neutrino corporation as a long-term services and supports staff.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:10:25 AM »

Which one wins the duel?

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 03:27:19 AM »

Which one wins the duel?

Most of time, Windows. Unless I have to run some "for linux only" things...Well, I gave up. I admit I got a typo there...
And a free bug hunter

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 06:41:51 AM »

Yep, I'm using Linux exclusively.
I have a bunch of Linux games on Humble, GOG, Desura or directly from the devs, like Starsector. For example both Amnesia, the Penumbra collection,  Postal 2, Rogue Legacy, The Journey Down 1+2, Besiege, Don't Starve + Reign of Giants, Dreamfall Chapters, FTL, Shadowrun Returns + Dragonfall, Torchlight 1+2, Wasteland 2, The Witcher 2, Star Ruler 2, Sol 0, Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon, Prison Architect ... and lots more.
I'm also using Wine, but mostly for older games since I'm not buying new Windows-only games (except on rare occasions, like Banished).

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 06:53:54 AM »

I mostly run linux. Just prefer it.

I game on it, but nothing serious. Just indie stuff that intrigues me mostly. This. Played 140 for the first time last night. Digging that.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 11:08:31 AM »

...Uplink
Wait another uplink player?! sweet!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »

Wait another uplink player?! sweet!
Of course, Uplink is just awesome.
I wish Introversion would make something in that direction when they're done with Prison Architect. The original plan they had for the Subversion project looked really promising.

Deathfly

• Modders' Vanguard
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 08:44:18 PM »

And a free bug hunter

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 09:09:23 AM »

Personally I find that windows generally does beat linux- sadly -due to the fact that most major developers of course go for the OS that's on nearly every damn computer...

bleah... Regardless, I game on Linux an I'm a console peasant... sue me. I love my consoles still. xD Grew up on'em not going to let'em go.
Though I have to admit, There is going to be less drive for me to buy another gaming console...  Hell, you can still find some new PS2 games in some stores. it's rare but still able to be found, which I find a little funny, heh.  Guess the ps2 was better than some gave it credit for. xD

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »

I think you could partition your drive to have both Linux and Windows. You'd get the best of both worlds, with a few drawbacks of course.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »

I predominantly use Ubuntu Linux; I have a dual boot set up (with Windows on an old hard drive I'd had handy) but it's mostly just to have a convenient platform available to play games that I'd otherwise need wine for/would not work in wine.  With this set up grub has only given me issues once (when it somehow disappeared my boot order/Windows stabbed it in the back to steal the spotlight) but it was easily fixed with a live CD. Otherwise I pretty much exclusively use my Ubuntu set up for most things because it's fast, secure and my graphics program of choice, Krita, is Linux native and runs much better in this environment than it does in Windows, or so I've heard.

As far as games go, I have a ton of them, largely as a result of humble bundles.  Obv. Starsector is among these.  Ones that I play?  Heavy Bullets, Risk of Rain, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Bastion, Delver, Luftrausers, Nuclear Throne, Super Meat Boy, XCOM: EU, and Transistor.  That's about it I think.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »

Foxxer, I have the cables and drives for doing a dual HDD which is INFANITELY easier than doing a partioting. As windows likes to do stuff with the drive sometimes that *** the entire system. That and I frankly like keeping my meats and Veggie's seperated to use a bad metaphor.

Delver is one I've been playing absently, as well as Heavy-0bullets (that's a fun time killer, finally got the level 1 boss a few times in a row... @~@)

As for that program you use, Krita, I'll take a look see and see how it fares with my current program. The ever-present GIMP.

It failed to install correctly, sigh... But that looks so awesome... I want that so badly.

download and feature read later....

GIMP...

You can eat your friggin' heart out!!!

7/5/15  GOT IT TO WORK! needs the KDE runtime for any intrested what the issue was.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:13:38 AM by Azmond »

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 02:57:17 AM »

I don't actually use Linux for gaming/mod development, but I'd probably die without it at work. It's pretty much the only platform guaranteed to work with modern bioinformatics algorithms and all computer clusters use it (oh and the command line is AMAZING). Literally the only things preventing me from ditching Windows entirely is that Linux doesn't have Microsoft Powerpoint or Guild Wars 2.

also, @Azmond... "sudo apt-get install krita"?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 12:28:35 PM »

I used to have these episodes where I tried various Linux distros. Mepis was the first, then followed Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Arch, Crunchbang and a couple of others. Yes, you can make it work and be amazingly lightweight, but it's always going to be a tinker project where command line and text file editing happens at some point. The extent of audio hardware support is "there's audio" and the extent of video hardware support is workable but buggy and less than performant. Linux apps are perfectly fine and I didn't miss Windows apps at all. But for a gaming desktop it's always going to be second choice.
Pages: [1] 2