Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Transponder  (Read 27818 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Transponder
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2015, 08:33:24 AM »

To be clear, there are areas where the player would not have to fear patrols hounding them for having the transponder off, right?

If I have my transponder off well outside of Hegemony territory, into pirate territory, and some lone Hegemony patrol/pirate hunters just happen to pass by, will they take interest? Will they understand I just wanted to slip past pirates? Is it an instant rep hit in all situations, or is there context in terms of whether I'm in that patrols' system or otherwise under their authority?

You don't have to worry about independent or "free port" patrols giving you trouble.

Patrols don't stray outside their system (aside from a small area around it in hyperspace), so any time you meet them you're in their jurisdiction, so to speak. Potential "war fleets" and such probably wouldn't bother you about the transponder, though, but they don't currently exist.

Maybe no rep hit when you have a very good relationship with the Hegemoney or the patrol commander?

Maybe the latter, but doesn't make sense unless those persist for longer than one patrol. Which they probably will eventually, but. The former, I don't really like - you're cutting out the "transponder off" downside entirely, and it's all upside from there on out.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »

Just make sure when someone accidentally presses "1" and turn off transponder, he should be able to turn it back on within a few seconds so they arnt penalized.

LeoMaximus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 02:12:44 PM »

So where do we turn off our transponders do we do it in hyperspace away from the wormhole entrance to a system? Does the transponder system now open up the possibility that pirates can intentionally fake a distress signal to lure targets in? 

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »

Just make sure when someone accidentally presses "1" and turn off transponder, he should be able to turn it back on within a few seconds so they arnt penalized.
Or make it double-press to activate.

Mazuo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »

'It looks like you're trying to activate your transponder.  Would you like help?'   :P

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 02:28:54 PM »

'It looks like you're trying to activate your transponder.  Would you like help?'   :P
Shut UP Clippy!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »

"It looks like you're trying to activate an interstellar gate. Would you like help?"

::Rage crashes the system::

And thus the sector was cut off from the Domain...

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »

I don't get the reference...

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 08:13:17 AM »

I'm getting Clippy nightmares thanks to you guys...

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »

I don't get the reference...

It's Clippy, the Microsoft Word helper who was not helpful at all.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2015, 06:37:01 AM »

Ah, that poor guy.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2015, 01:00:32 PM »

I was just thinking, what happens in the case that a Hegemony patrol captain has a low standing with you, but you are considered an ally of the Hegemony? if the captain is hostile with you? or the other way around?

Pushover

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »

I was just thinking, what happens in the case that a Hegemony patrol captain has a low standing with you, but you are considered an ally of the Hegemony? if the captain is hostile with you? or the other way around?

I'd imagine he'd try to charge you a lot of money since he doesn't like you. Maybe he takes longer and does a more thorough scan, to try and catch you carrying the tiniest amount of illegal goods. If the captain is friendly/Hegemony is not, it's likely he will look the other way as long as you aren't doing very illegal things (killing the fleets he's supposed to protect, for example)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 01:49:14 PM »

They use the faction standing, but patrol captains and such don't currently have enough persistence for this to really be a factor anyway. Notably, they'll remember if they caught you before, and in those cases, that knowledge will override faction standing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4