Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013774 times)

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.3g "SpaceLand Battle" (fixes 2021-11-26)
« Reply #4230 on: November 26, 2021, 05:12:28 PM »

Just to be sure, Histidine, the recent updates are cool to install into saves that were previously using 10.3's older versions, yeah? I know NPC invasions are a big deal but I'm not sure if that'd break "older" saves.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4231 on: November 26, 2021, 07:02:20 PM »

Yeah, they'll work.

Rakden

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: November 28, 2021, 11:40:18 AM »

Hello everyone!

So I have a small... issue. Not sure if it is intended mechanic or can actually be considered some sort of an exploit but... I was able to send Defense fleet to hostile colony.

As you can guess it technically results with orbital blockage. Target's defensive fleets get eliminated, their station gets disabled and the trading convoys either keep running away or get destroyed.

At the same time, it isn't seen as any sort of hostile act (compared to sending invasion fleets) even if it does result with colony being basically left defenceless for few weeks/months, and thus ready to be easily invaded or raided by basically anyone (who isn't hostile toward the "defensive" fleet).

I would like to apologize in advance if someone has already pointed out this issue/feature before

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: November 30, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »

is it intended that nexerelin spawns a dorito hunter seeker fleet just for spotting a hypershunt? kind of makes all giant star planets extremly unappealing for early to midgame exploring

and seems kind of odd too, considering you dont need to interact with the shunt to have said fleet spawned?

please rework the spawning conditions

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4234 on: November 30, 2021, 04:26:29 PM »

Hello everyone!

So I have a small... issue. Not sure if it is intended mechanic or can actually be considered some sort of an exploit but... I was able to send Defense fleet to hostile colony.

As you can guess it technically results with orbital blockage. Target's defensive fleets get eliminated, their station gets disabled and the trading convoys either keep running away or get destroyed.

At the same time, it isn't seen as any sort of hostile act (compared to sending invasion fleets) even if it does result with colony being basically left defenceless for few weeks/months, and thus ready to be easily invaded or raided by basically anyone (who isn't hostile toward the "defensive" fleet).

I would like to apologize in advance if someone has already pointed out this issue/feature before
It's sort of intended in that I decided not to restrict targeting to non-hostile markets, but may not be balanced (too cheap to do, or perhaps too effective against weaker colonies?) in the current state.

is it intended that nexerelin spawns a dorito hunter seeker fleet just for spotting a hypershunt? kind of makes all giant star planets extremly unappealing for early to midgame exploring

and seems kind of odd too, considering you dont need to interact with the shunt to have said fleet spawned?

please rework the spawning conditions
It's a deliberately added feature, though not necessarily a good one.
The fleet does scale to yours (up to a point), so it should be beatable at least sometimes, and if it isn't, story point evade + e-burning will allow an escape.

Still I may need to think of better spawn conditions. Perhaps just make it not spawn for sufficiently small player fleets?

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: November 30, 2021, 04:37:34 PM »

why not make interacting with the thing a spawning condition? would acutally make sense then considering what the fleet is saying to you when they catch you

or, in the same vein as some wrecks in remnant sectors can activate dormant remnant fleets, make the doritos dormant until provoked? like, place those fleets in the gravity wells in hyperspace, so you know the system contains a hypershunt?, OR put unique warning beacons there
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 04:42:42 PM by Maethendias »

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: November 30, 2021, 09:28:32 PM »

Still I may need to think of better spawn conditions. Perhaps just make it not spawn for sufficiently small player fleets?

Seems a reasonable compromise.  Enjoying my game as is right now, but am still interested in trying out the souped up dram explorer run at some point after new game update drops.  Kinda not worth it if almost guaranteed death from finding the hyper shunts... but perhaps base it on DP (or whatever that hidden fleet stat is) instead of ship count, having it just not spawn for a fleet of 5 or smaller seems likely to just result in exploitation by those that know (bring 6 kickass ships!) and complaints by those who don't...
I wasn't always a Judge...

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: December 01, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »

i just discovered something funny:

the faction traits of hegemony and tri tachyon regarding ai use are swapped

tri tachyon now dislikes ai, and the hegemony really LOVES others using ai cores apparently XD

probably an oversight?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 05:26:26 PM by Maethendias »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4238 on: December 01, 2021, 10:36:08 PM »

Sounds like a random relations thing. By default Hegemony has "dislikes AI" and TT has no AI-related traits.

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: December 02, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »

Sounds like a random relations thing. By default Hegemony has "dislikes AI" and TT has no AI-related traits.

oh ye, that must have been it

didnt know it would affect traits aswell lol

float

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: December 02, 2021, 07:46:56 PM »

Is it just me or does the invasion tooltip in the intel screen always say that the attacker's and defender's ground forces are "evenly matched", regardless of their actual relative strengths?

SneakyDevil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: December 03, 2021, 09:58:08 AM »

Does anyone have a good tutorial for invasions? Trying to fight some of the NPC factions that *arent* pirates and Pathers and losing horribly as I can't possibly land enough heavy troops to fight the 10k+ army strength they have before the initial troops die. I'm doing everything I can, including using abilities, but I can't seem to win and the 6k marines I brought with me are all dead.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: December 03, 2021, 10:46:15 AM »

Does anyone have a good tutorial for invasions? Trying to fight some of the NPC factions that *arent* pirates and Pathers and losing horribly as I can't possibly land enough heavy troops to fight the 10k+ army strength they have before the initial troops die. I'm doing everything I can, including using abilities, but I can't seem to win and the 6k marines I brought with me are all dead.

I couldn't say tutorial, but with the addition of a supply requirement to deploy troops (which has kind of a weird growth factor, though that should be balanced eventually), player is basically forced to always raid for supplies first before deploying troops.  So raid for supplies before invading!  System in general will prolly need some more balancing, it is very new.  But yes, I invaded another faction's planet in my system but didn't bother to bring over enough supplies to hang out in orbit after deployment (which mod basically kinda requires), lost all troops in time it took to fly back to my planet and back.  Only occurred to me after that one just needs to always raid for mo' supplies before invading.  I guess if anything, invading needs some sort of scout function to nominally estimate supply invasion cost; more likely just use operatives instead (since operatives ARE a huge part of this mod), but since scouts are a military thing and player gets so few operatives:

https://youtu.be/aXQ2lO3ieBA?t=112

I mean, could literally make a scout commodity unit like crew or marines to accomplish this, but adding commodities is a surprisingly controversial sell on this forum, plus up to Histidine anyways.  So maybe just the abstract concept of scouts are necessary (even though theoretically future BS fleet sensors in orbit should basically do the trick, and/or too close to Star Wars probe droid).  However, since operatives would likely be more preferable, info player gets when deploying an operative to an invasion target would likely include an estimated total supply cost for invading, which then gets modified if player has operative soften target up (although would also modify if enemy faction AI makes certain improvements to planet or more marines appear, it would go both directions).
I wasn't always a Judge...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4243 on: December 03, 2021, 05:27:59 PM »

Is it just me or does the invasion tooltip in the intel screen always say that the attacker's and defender's ground forces are "evenly matched", regardless of their actual relative strengths?
The invasion's ground strength (in terms of raw marine numbers) scales partially to the target's expected garrison size (before the fleet does its tactical bombardment on arrival thing), so the estimate should start out about even. Though it doesn't take into account the admin's Ground Operations bonus (if any), and while it considers the drop attrition effect of ground defenses/heavy batteries I don't expect it's very good at it.

Next time I'm working on the mod, I should probably look at a breakdown of the estimate calculation and see how it can be improved.

I couldn't say tutorial, but with the addition of a supply requirement to deploy troops (which has kind of a weird growth factor, though that should be balanced eventually), player is basically forced to always raid for supplies first before deploying troops.  So raid for supplies before invading!  System in general will prolly need some more balancing, it is very new.  But yes, I invaded another faction's planet in my system but didn't bother to bring over enough supplies to hang out in orbit after deployment (which mod basically kinda requires), lost all troops in time it took to fly back to my planet and back.  Only occurred to me after that one just needs to always raid for mo' supplies before invading.
Also, when invading a large colony, neutralize the Heavy Batteries first (if they have any, but they almost always will for the really valuable targets) with operatives or a tactical bombardment. Attacking into the face of operational HB will result in a bloodbath at best.

On raiding for supplies: You can do it mid-invasion if you suddenly find you don't have enough supplies (I've done it before). Disband a currently deployed unit and use the marines it returns to cargo. There won't be many of them, but with the stability penalty and (presumably) nonfunctional ground defenses/heavy batteries due to the ongoing invasion, the enemy's ground defense rating won't be so hot either.

SneakyDevil

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: December 03, 2021, 06:44:00 PM »

I... appreciate the replies so far, but there are unfortunately what I already do. I always bring about 10K supplies with me and always do a tac bombardment before I start combat. The issue I'm running into Is I can't seem to deploy troops fast enough to counter the non-militia ground troops already present on the world. Tartarus for example can, and has, redeployed up to 10k troop power onto a single industry, and with me being about to only deploy about 2.4k per turn most of my guys just get turned to gristle.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 396