Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weekly Updates  (Read 1672 times)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Weekly Updates
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:37:20 AM »

Is one of the reason why Minecraft was such a huge success (at least this made me buy it). What do you think? Would this be applicable in Starfarer (Alex?). Discuss!

Forevener

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »

WARNING! OFFTOPIC IS IMMINENT
Minecraft phenomena is a bit more complicated.
1. Minecraft gave the users opportunity to create. Every single man is a creator (more or less), and creation in Minecraft is simple and... well... enjoyable. First, it was nothing more than a application for a voxel 3D-modeling with 'grounded' controls. Then, it was slowly changed to be a slight adventurous. But core was unchanged - all the surviving and resource gathering was intended only to spice up the process of returning to your beautiful cave/grand home/precious mechanisms.
2. I bought Minecraft when it was in most active stage of development, yes - at weekly update. But! I thought that Minecraft is going to become something grand and complex, like Dwarf Fortress. Notch mentioned this couple of times... and all the stuff added in updates! Heh. If I'd only knew... Stupid terrain generation, stupid ore distribution, piteous crafting - and it's all in the game where 'Mine' is a part of name? I don't like Minecraft now. I'm not playing it. Because it's still a 3D-editor. And I'll better take Blender and go make some REAL modeling. Or programming in Visual Studio.
3. Weekly updates can be an influence for people, who thinking about purchase already. It's not a defining factor, you know.

Satyr

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Weekly Updates
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:22:22 AM »

I think weekly updates might encourage more people to preorder, but at the same time weekly updates take time to produce (more overhead/less progress), increase server traffic, ect ... Also, with weekly updates you miss out on the awesome feeling of omg! when you see a new version.

As someone that has already purchased the game it really doesn't matter to me. It is mostly about if Alex thinks weekly updates will get enough preorders to warrant the extra time spent on overhead.