Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi-Lock Targeting  (Read 6368 times)

InfinitySquared

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Lock Targeting
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 11:56:59 PM »

The weights would be set in the weapon CSV file instead with a limited range for example. 5 being "Capital ships only" and 1 being "Missiles/fighters only" for example.
We can already do this.  Oh, not via CSV file entry, sure, but you can mod in per-weapon custom autofire AIs, and that's plenty enough to get the behavior you've described.

Unfortunately, I don't think including something like that in the general game is a good idea; for example, your suggestion of making Mjolnir cannons ignore frigates is, in the rare instances when I use the things, exactly the opposite of what I want.  (The Mjolnir is actually a highly accurate weapon, and one of the few heavy weapons that's really capable of hitting frigates reliably.)

That was an example. And the weighting system would instead set preferences towards larger/smaller targets.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »

That was an example. And the weighting system would instead set preferences towards larger/smaller targets.
The point is, that no two players are going to agree on what those weights should be.  For example, consider the recent change to burst PD firing patterns, where it used to unload all its charges on the first thing that came in range, and now reserves those charges for fighters or missiles.  For me, and as far as I can tell for most people, this was a really nice change.  But I've seen someone complain about it, saying they used the old behavior to add damage vs. hull and would like a way to set it back.

Personally, I'd love a way to set phase beams to prioritize fighters.  But I'm sure there's someone else out there who'd find that setting, if it were baked into the game, incredibly frustrating.

Which is why I was responding to NeutroniumFurnace's suggestion of making such weights adjustable in-game.  Now, if you really think hard-coded priority weighting would improve the game, then here's my suggestion: Go for it.  Make a mod that does that.  Put it out there, let people play it, see what they think.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 05:47:52 AM »

Perhaps interesting as an optional character or crew skill

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 07:49:42 AM »

But I've seen someone complain about it, saying they used the old behavior to add damage vs. hull and would like a way to set it back.
That was probably me.  Times when I loved the old way:
  • Odyssey vs. frigates:  Burst PD spam murdered frigates, especially phase frigates.  If I use plasma cannon to kill them, I lose my Helmsmanship 10 speed bonus due to plasma cannons generating too much flux, and frigates would escape if I missed.
  • Eagle vs. any non-capital:  Beams are (usually) useless against shields.  If I do not need (3x heavy burst) PD at the moment, I like to save the charges until enemy shields are down, then fully discharge the weapons for massive damage.
  • Paragon fun theme build:  Equip nothing but burst and Guardian PD lasers.  Save charges until they can be focused on one target.  Watch numerous beams strike for massive damage.  Once charges are empty, hold fire until fully charged, then do it again.  Since this is a Paragon, with its numerous weapon slots, the beam spam is enough to overpower any shield other than another Paragon and damage hull while the charges last.  It is not the most effective configuration, but it was viable and good for a laugh.

Ashe Leclair

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »

it seams like the ops idea solves all the problems for everyone with little effort players who don't care don't have to use it while those who want there weapons to target specific things are literally one to two button presses away from telling any of there weapons groups to target a specific target allowing each player to decide for him or herself how they want the weapons to behave which sounds like a no brainier to me. hell this even adds the option of another stat to differentiate different ships and for upgrades. a low tech frigate for instance might only be able to lock one target at a time with all auto fire weapons working on default ai while an advanced capitol ship would be able to lock up to manage 3 different targets at once with skills allowing for another and a hull upgrade providing another as the screen would get cluttered if all the locks gave the info the current lock does so i think only primary lock which would still be with r should give such info while all other locks serve only to priorities targets for there specific weapons group having only a targeting indicator with a number on it for which weapons group is targeting it. coding wise it doesn't sound to complicated and it should be ok with players who don't use it as it wont change anything for them and players who have always wanted more control over this should love it.

senor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 05:32:37 PM »

We all know the issue when it comes to having all your missiles try to follow around a hyperion while an onslaught is sitting in front of us venting flux and all of our LRMs will just continue to follow that stupid hyperion. Multi-Lock Targeting would fix this. By allowing differing targets for each individual weapon group, we can split up different missile groups or even projectile weapons so that large battleships can focus on the multiple targets simultaneously without having their firepower split up between 6 frigates that we can't hit while getting torn apart by the enemies high damage support ships.

Note: I am not just advocating multiple targets for missiles, but also for projectile weapons.

Tell me what you think and whether or not this is a good idea. Especially you Xenoargh, because I KNOW you're gonna have a say in this. :P

sounds good to me, im all for it.  weighting system for auto-fire sounds alright too, but if i had to pick one, id rather be able to manually lock what and when i want.
Pages: 1 [2]