Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Daggers being suicidal  (Read 1703 times)

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
Daggers being suicidal
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:22:05 PM »

I noticed something that might need an AI tweak.

To reproduce:

* Take a Heron (or any carrier, but a Heron is good because it's fast and tough) and some Daggers into sim against an Onslaught
* Let the Daggers get themselves slaughtered by the Onslaught while you maneuver behind it (maybe take a bunch of other fighters to distract the Onslaught and avoid getting your face melted, make them retreat after)
* Park yourself about a ship's length behind the Onslaught and watch what respawning Daggers do

most of them seem to just charge right into the Onslaught and blow themselves up with their own torpedo, while they could just fire it from where they are and immediately go to rearm. Rather wasteful.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Daggers being suicidal
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »

If I'm understanding correctly, I don't think this is a bug.

1) The torpedoes they fire can hit your ship, so they have to be careful about when they launch
2) The torpedoes they fire, or the explosions thereof, can't hit the Daggers themselves - or shouldn't, at any rate, and iirc that works as intended

Maybe what you're seeing is just the Onslaught's PD taking them out about the same time the torpedoes explode?

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 03:36:48 PM »

So it's the Onslaught's PD taking them out soon after the explosion, rather than the explosion itself, but either way something odd is going on - the daggers rush forward into the Onslaught until they're deep on top of it before releasing the torpedo. This is sucidal even if their own explosion can't damage them, because it exposes their unshielded aft to fire from their target ship. If they need to move away from friendly ships before firing, shouldn't they do it laterally?

I guess it makes a certain kind of sense - they're effectively guaranteeing a hit by sacrificing themselves - but I don't think it's a tradeoff I'd often consider.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 03:41:39 PM by orost »

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:16:28 PM »

actually I do not think the torpedo's can hit you until its boost is gone so i still do not understand why it wont just launch it straight away

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »

A fighter launching a torpedo is not the same as your ship launching a torpedo.