Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Picture within picture for viewing other ships.  (Read 1803 times)

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Picture within picture for viewing other ships.
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:44:57 PM »

My thought is simple, add a small box that would allow players to view another ship through an auxiliary camera box that doesn't have to be visible all the time. This would allow players to gauge other ships situations while still monitoring their own ships'. This doesn't even have to replace the current switch where the camera is sort of system, this can just be added so that players can get addition info if they want it, but don't HAVE to use it.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Picture within picture for viewing other ships.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »

Might be useful for people with 1920p screens. People with 1024x768 would probably experience screen clutter. This may also have been suggested previously. Also if you look at early alpha videos of Starsector while it was called Starfarer, it actually had something similar to what you describe. Alex removed that feature, not sure why, but he had his reasons.

NeutroniumFurnace

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:59:46 PM »

If it is put in the same corner as the FPS counter, it should keep from cluttering the screen since there is only 1 really small thing up there to begin with.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 12:41:04 AM »

I foresee this being a very difficult feature to add.  While I believe this is possible to do without requiring more advanced rendering techniques normally found in OpenGL 3, the fact of the matter is that the game still uses a fixed rendering order; the whole renderer basically has to be run again on a different location in space and drawn to a small section of the window.  This is a rather significant performance hit and could possibly require a major overhaul of how the rendering logic works.  Alex can shed more light.