Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Projectile misses go above/below ships  (Read 1563 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Projectile misses go above/below ships
« on: May 26, 2014, 04:54:43 AM »

In relation to http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8015.0

I was thinking it would be nice if projectiles, when they reach their fade out distance, sure keep fading out - but change the COLLISION class to NONE so that they can no longer interact with ships. That is, they miss and will streak above and below the enemy ship
instead of the bullets just...disappearing into the ether. The bullets keep on travelling for a little while, it could look cool but it may be confusing know whether you're inside the 'damage' range of the weapon

I suppose a couple of indications you're in range:
1. You're being shot at - you're in range of the enemy and they are firing *** at you
2. Make the fadeout a bit more obvious such as dropping the projectile alpha in a inverse square fashion

What do you guys think? Would it be nice to see bullets miss when the gun is out of range? Would you like to see them go above and below?

spudcosmic

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Projectile misses go above/below ships
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »

It would be interesting if the game more worked around this hit and miss idea. Like say, when a bullet contacts you it has a chance to hit you based on your ship's speed and the weapon accuracy and the range from the weapon. Might seem a little bit chancy, but as long as it was mostly 100% inside the weapon's ideal range it might make the game feel a bit more dynamic.

From the post I recently made in that thread you linked. It seems more fitting to go into this suggestion thread. Well, anyway, having a chance system like that would have some unforeseen benefits, like fighters now become harder to hit because of how fast they are, and not that the really need to be harder to kill anyway. And slow capital ships would be bullet magnets. But I still like the idea.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Projectile misses go above/below ships
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 01:39:30 PM »

Having a chance system can be annoying for players as it removes player agency and no longer encourages skill. So from that perspective it's not a good idea for bullets to have a % chance to hit.

I can already do what I've proposed below in terms of changing the collision class of the projectile but it requires a annoying amount of scripting that more or less means needing to duplicate EVERY weapon and projectile file. It would be easy if there was a set projectile class method for damaging projectiles but it does not exist.

Without a set projectile class method in the API I cannot make a portable EveryFrameCombatPlugin that just works, I'd also need to be able to set the fade time for projectiles as well via API to make it portable as otherwise projectiles would continue to fade out as normal and be invisible.