Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: From pirate to fan  (Read 1987 times)

RusMolot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
From pirate to fan
« on: August 01, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »

Hello fellow starfarers,

I thought I'd share my little story of acquiring StarFarer. It all started with my search for a space-faring game. I was trying all sorts of games, and I was just not having any success. I started looking at indie games, and I came accross starfarer. I borrowed it from a peer, and from the moment I installed it, I played straight through the weekend until I could destroy any fleet that had the misfortune of flying accross my screen. I think I only slept a couple hours from Saturday morning to Monday morning. Let me tell you, that Monday was completely wasted at work. The fun factor was off the charts! I wanted it immediately! One catch - it wasn't on Steam. For good or for bad, Steam is VERY convenient for keeping track of games I've already bought, so I decided to wait. I only lasted a couple months, until I finally caved, and bought the game yesterday. Best $10 I've spent in a very very long time. I tried my hand with the Uomoz mod, and pretty much got chewed up and spat back out, then trampled and thrown up on, but hey - it's not fun without a challenge! I may try modding on this platform too, seems like there's a lot of potential for it.

That's it! Just wanted to share how borrowing from peers isn't always a bad thing, (well it is for those triple A titles that completely drop the ball *cough* sim city *cough*).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 11:02:06 AM by RusMolot »

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
Re: From pirate to fan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:46:04 AM »

Welcome there buddy! About the P** thing, there's this forum rule:

• Do not post links to illegal / unsanctioned downloads, discuss potentially illegal activities or encourage such things (e.g. Piracy, drugs etc.). This in an international forum, so please bear in mind how your own laws relate to other parts of the world. Posting such download links will result in an immediate ban.

So basically we can't talk about it, in general. That said, I'm happy that brought you here. Welcome again!

RusMolot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 11:04:06 AM »

Dang, you're right. I made it more subtle and ambiguous ;). I miss the days when devs made limited demo versions of their games.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »

Hi! Thank you for your support, I very much appreciate it :)

Like Uomoz said, piracy is an off-limits topic on the forum, whether it's, ah, subtle/ambiguous or not - so, let me just lock this thread. (To explain my thinking a bit: while, as you say, it clearly can be a good thing in individual cases, I think that on average it's not. I think one's perspective on things like this changes when one's primary source of income is involved. Never mind that it's illegal, and so probably not a good idea to discuss on a public forum anyway.)