Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Should the 'feature' of the screen being whited out be kept in SS?

NO!!!!!!!!
- 7 (17.9%)
YES!!!!!!!
- 10 (25.6%)
They're a bit overwhelming/disorienting - adjust it
- 10 (25.6%)
I heard Dark Revenant is making an explosion ripple shader - get rid of them!
- 2 (5.1%)
Have an option to disable them, let modders do their own special explosion FX.
- 10 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Feature Removal - Ship Explosion Screen White Out  (Read 9690 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Feature Removal - Ship Explosion Screen White Out
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »

It's never bothered me before. Maybe adjust the brightness settings if it's really that bad?
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 10:30:27 AM »

I always assumed the white-out was just a placeholder until real explosions would be implemented.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »

Also, am I right in thinking the effect is somewhat framerate dependent? Higher fps -> effect is less jarring.
That might explain why some people are more sensitive to it than others.
It is multiple things at once that kill the framerate and make it worse. The frigate version is good in my book but the other ships are too much and DRASTICALLY cut my FR and make the explosion last 2 or 3 times longer and, especially in a large battle, it really hinders you and makes things worse and unfun. I would LOVE to see the ability to adjust/ remove this!

I always assumed the white-out was just a placeholder until real explosions would be implemented.
Same here and I hope I am right.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »

Also, am I right in thinking the effect is somewhat framerate dependent? Higher fps -> effect is less jarring.
That might explain why some people are more sensitive to it than others.
It is multiple things at once that kill the framerate and make it worse. The frigate version is good in my book but the other ships are too much and DRASTICALLY cut my FR and make the explosion last 2 or 3 times longer and, especially in a large battle, it really hinders you and makes things worse and unfun. I would LOVE to see the ability to adjust/ remove this!

Same here and I hope I am right.
As I play the game at the monitor's most minimum visible screen brightness in bright or no lighting, whiteouts are quite disorienting to players, never to AIs. I have to admit, it's harsh to the eyes in a lightless setting. As I piloted the 4-blaster Afflictor in my LP recordings, I don't recall squinting reflexively when making a Buffalo MkII pop from my salvo. I had my eyes alert for battlefield changes.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »

I actually like the whiteouts. While they can be a bit much, they make killing big ships that much more momentous. What remains after the whiteout could use some work though, imo.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »

I actually like the whiteouts. While they can be a bit much, they make killing big ships that much more momentous. What remains after the whiteout could use some work though, imo.
You can make killing the ships momentous WITHOUT blinding half the player base and killing off my Framerate
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

reactorcore

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 01:00:40 PM »

I wonder how severe the white out effect is on epileptic people.  :-\

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »

I wonder how severe the white out effect is on epileptic people.  :-\

I know from personal experience that epilepsy doesn't work like that. I highly doubt the white out effect would cause any issues even with some of the more extreme cases of epilepsy. Epileptics are also typically extremely aware of the potential risks posed by certain styles of video games.

I like the current effect, honestly. It feels big and important, and when a large ship goes down it IS disorienting and bright, almost flinch-worthy. This helps immersion in my mind.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »

I personally kinda like the big white explosions... :P

hydremajor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 01:13:34 AM »

Fact remains this thread is one of thoses threads that keep showing up regularly

as such going on saying "it isn't a problem" would be false as each time its a new person who starts this debate again

Clearly some peoples do not like this (me included) as I'm trying to play a game and not stare at a white "blur" for up to 10 seconds because the effect makes my computer's FPS drop through the effect's duration

TL;DR

Killing onslaughts makes my FPS drop to slideshow grade and therefore extends the duration of the effect wether its meant to last 15 seconds and upward or not

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 09:11:48 AM »

Huh. You know, I've never noticed a framerate drop before, and I thought that Alex said that the white out being rate dependent was a bug thats been fixed anyways. I'm a bit confused. Maybe that was fixed for the next version.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »

It *should* take around 1-2 seconds for an Onslaught explosion to clear up completely.

If it's taking 10 seconds or so, that means your frame rate dropped to single digits... hmm. (It's important to note, though, that in that time, only 1-2 seconds of actual game time pass, since the engine itself won't go below 30 fps. So, while the frame rate being that low clearly isn't a good thing, at least you're not being disadvantaged by this compared to having a higher framerate.)

The thing is, it's really hard for me to see how the whiteout effect could lower the framerate that much. I can see how other stuff that happens at the instant of the explosion could cause a dip, but the whiteout itself? It could happen if your graphics card is right on the border of having the game be playable (though I'd expect you to be seeing frame rate dips all over the place, in this case), but there's also a good chance it indicates a driver problem, which a driver update might resolve.

If you (or anyone else that has these long duration whiteouts) could chime in with more details, I'd appreciate it.

Huh. You know, I've never noticed a framerate drop before, and I thought that Alex said that the white out being rate dependent was a bug thats been fixed anyways. I'm a bit confused. Maybe that was fixed for the next version.

That's definitely fixed, and been fixed for a while. The old issue was that you could get 10+ seconds of whiteout in actual game time.

The way the game currently works is it the engine runs at at least 30 fps. So, for example, if your game is running at 3 fps, it'll be in slow motion and it will take 10 real seconds for 1 game second to elapse. If that happens, the whiteout (and everything else) would take respectively longer, and that's the "correct" behavior. The reason it works this way is to maintain the integrity of the simulation so that, for example, bullets don't start passing through things due to a frame rate dip.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:52:41 AM by Alex »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »

It *should* take around 1-2 seconds for an Onslaught explosion to clear up completely.
That is an eternity in fast action twitch-land, whether in a shmup or high-level competitive fighting game.  That said, I have no problem with whiteout (aside from blinding me but not the AI).  I just want to see better explosions.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »

We could compromise and just make it a massive JJ Abrams lens flare.

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 03:44:44 PM »

That is an eternity in fast action twitch-land, whether in a shmup or high-level competitive fighting game.  That said, I have no problem with whiteout (aside from blinding me but not the AI).  I just want to see better explosions.
Good thing this isn't a twitch shooter, or a fighting game, or a shmup.... :l

I've got no problem with the whiteout. It's been a problem exactly never for me.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.
Pages: 1 [2] 3