Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Change conquest turret position  (Read 5790 times)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Change conquest turret position
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 04:34:36 PM »

That's great, but has anyone that disagrees actually tried what I suggested? Unless you take the time to actually test it you have no idea what I'm talking about.

I've linked the .ship file to the original post. and here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sba8vjztpi5dzvi/conquest.ship

@Sundog: No I hadn't actually seen that thread. But you're right, it's not really a proper capital ship. It's more of an oversized cruiser.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »

Well, I'd expect that having all the turrets rotated forwards gives this thing unprecedented firepower.  Combine that with the excellent maneuverability and it becomes rather OP.  Not to mention that you can strap two Cyclone Launchers or two MIRV Launchers to the front of the Conquest - pretty much death for any ship that means those with their shields down, which is probably going to happen when you've got 4 Large mounts and countless Medium and Small mounts wanting your ship dead.  Unless other things are tweaked like, price, logistics, deployment points, etc., I wouldn't change that.

EDIT:
Alright, I've tried it.  It usually takes me a while, if I can even destroy the Onslaught :P, maybe a few minutes, to take down an Onslaught with my loadout (per side - 1 hephag, 1 markIX autocannon, heavy mauler, hypervelocity driver, pulse laser, 2 burst PD, cyclone launcher).  Here, one fell swoop and boom, overload, pushed more into his hull, and finished him with another volley from the Cyclones.

Also note that I literally haven't touched Starsector in about 2 months and I managed to do this just now with the edited weapon angles when it was overly difficult for me back then with the normal weapon angles.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 05:07:44 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 05:04:29 PM »

Well, I'd expect that having all the turrets rotated forwards gives this thing unprecedented firepower.... I wouldn't change that.

You haven't tried it yet have you? Test it. Your hypothesis is just that. If it is OP? By how much? How much more effective are you? 10%? 20%? What about ease of use? You're not contributing anything meaningful by not having a comparison and facts to back you up.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »

Well, just edited my post with my results, so there you have it. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 08:26:07 AM »

Well, i just changed the turret angles to try it out, and it will destroy every single ship in the game, even modded ones, it's just too much firepower that can be aimed in one direction. given it has 2 large forward missile mounts on top of the 4 large ballistic mounts it just trashes anything it comes into contact with.

making ships non circles in the code and having the AI understand broadside ships better, this ship would be a beast with its current setup.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 02:18:01 PM »

Well with a player at the helm, just about any ship can kill any other ship in 1 on 1. Gothars can Chuck Norris a Onslaught with a toothpick while blind folded and and arm behind his back (or with any frigate), so a player defeating a Onslaught with a battlecruiser *should* be easy don't you think?

dmaiski

• Captain
  • resistance is futile
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 02:22:50 PM »

even in an AI ve AI fight, conquest pwns onslaught with these changes

having 1 more heavy balistic then onslaught, and the reapere does it (also stat wise conquest is a bit better then onslaught in speed and ordenance points/weapon mounts)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:27:16 PM by dmaiski »
BISO
(WIP) lots of shiny new weapons ( :-[ i have more weapons then sprites :-[ )

i got a cat pad
its like a mouse pad but better!

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 03:45:08 PM »

It really doesn't matter how the changes alter the ship's capabilities; it'd ruin the ship's unique broadside....ness.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »

You pit the Conquest against any other capital ship in a head on engagement and it will die, plain and simple. It's that poorly designed.

It's got nothing to do with learning to fly it, it's a simple matter of the effective utilisation of the arcs you are given, the most effective way is if the arcs overlap and are directly more towards the bow. If you were to give a distribution graph for the angles relative to the front of the ship, that gave values to the chance you encountered and had the best opportunity to engage them, it would be biased towards the front. How often do you go into engagements sideways where your acceleration is worse and you're exposing a huge amount of surface area to the enemy.

I very much disagree with this. Yes the AI is bad with it and the default loadout is truly terrible, but the Conquest can easily take out any other Capital without skills. Its just a matter of loadout and knowing how to pilot it.

FlashFrozen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »

I'd rather have a HINT in the ship.csv that's like " BROADSIDE_90 " or " BROADSIDE_60 ", since ship hints is kinda empty other than civilian and carrier.

That'll signify just how much the ai is allowed to rotate their ship, the Conquest does 45 average.

On another note
I think it's more a problem with capital ship weapon ranges than the conquest..

EVERY combat capital variant has a range increasing hull mod except the conquest, and 50% range is pretty huge when your ship only does 50-100 m/s.
I'd rather have less ships with ITUs and dedicated targeting cores ( ITUs are a character level 14 hullmod, but even a Eagle has it. )

That or reduce weapon turret speed, because it's pretty hard to even flank another ship with them always being able to track you ( problem only gets bigger in a conquest) .

Pages: 1 [2]