Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sources of Inspiration for Starsector  (Read 3202 times)

Muchoman798

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Sources of Inspiration for Starsector
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »

Hello All  :D

A quick note on past threads about this:
Spoiler
I realize there has very likely been a post like this one before, though I have tried searching fruitlessly. I'd also like avoiding needless rezzing, because that can get... annoying, particularly when done by a relatively new comer (like yours truly.) So, please do know I have looked for a thread pertaining to this particular topic, and have not found one. I also wish to discuss one chain-of-inspiration in particular, so it will be different from other threads discussing this (if they exist.) Thank you for understanding  :)
[close]

The driving question behind this thread is what do you guys see as inspiration for this game? Do you notice any particular parts that resemble other games?

I think it's important to ask the community this, and not just Alex, because we may notice things that were unintentionally inspired by another game. That's something which happens often. It'd also give us a place to discuss and compare parts of Starsector relative to other games.

All of this can be good fun, I think.

Personally, I see heavy hints of Sid Meier's Pirates! I'm not sure if that game was ever played or seen by any of those working on Starsector, but Pirates! inspired most of Mount & Blade, which Starsector is often compared to. This would make the bits resembling Pirates! an artifact of an interesting chain, with the bits and bobs of Mount & Blade inspiring a game more directly related to the root of Mount & Blade. I see Pirates! in the combat, trade, boarding, and campaign mechanics of Starsector. From the recent trading post, there will be a lot of stuff near to Pirates!, but vastly improved upon. In literally every single portion of Starsector I've seen so far, I feel Pirates! have some impact, even if indirectly.

If any of you guys haven't seen Pirates!, I highly recommend it. You can play the 1984 version for free (I think,) and the 2004 version is cheap anywhere you look.

Edit: I just saw a quote in which Alex mentioned Pirates! so noticing influences from it is not just an artifact of a chain.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:22:51 PM by Muchoman798 »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of Inspiration for Starsector
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 05:58:33 AM »

Well, I remember that the the Wasps are inspired from the MoO2 intro  and the Hammerhead from Starcraft's battlecruiser.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of Inspiration for Starsector
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:42:58 AM »

...the Hammerhead from Starcraft's battlecruiser.
Now all we need is a drone ship that spits out endless streams of fighter drones!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile