Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 197

Author Topic: [0.8a] Starsector+ 3.7.0  (Read 1332218 times)

Mudanzas Valencia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • mudanzas valencia
Best Way to Reduce Lag in Hyperspace? (SS+)
« Reply #1875 on: December 13, 2015, 11:37:07 AM »

Hello:

I'm playing SS+ with all the mods, my computer can handle realspace and battles pretty well but I'm dropping to 45 fps in hyperspace. I've dedicated 3-4 gbs (8 gig total) to SS+ in the vprams. I've already disabled shader lib (it's still compatibility enabled) but everything else is default. Any obvious settings to reduce hyperspace lag or is there jsut too many battles for my CPU/GPU? (3.20 gHz/ eight gig total)

si desea un presupuesto para su hogar o negocio
http://www.mudanzasvalemcia.com
Sus muebles, así como nuestra reputación en Valencia, tu empresa de mudanzas economicas.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Starsector+ 3.0.0
« Reply #1876 on: December 13, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »

I'm having an issue: moderate spikes of lag in the campaign, which I can deal with, but massive lag in battles. My computer is a piece of crap, so I've disabled shaderlib, but something else is going on that is taking up huge amounts of resources.

This happens with battles with just 3 frigates (mine plus 2 enemy). With vanilla I can handle the 80 ship mega battles without any lag or framerate issues. I've also noticed increased stuttering during "preloading" of the main menu, but I just figured that was due to the larger number of textures being loaded.

Any idea what could be causing this or advice? As with most I very much enjoy this mod and would love to play it (thanks as always for the hard work of making it!).

wozmir

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: December 13, 2015, 12:22:21 PM »

Oh, the new update notes are up. I really like this one:
Faction hostility event count is reduced depending on number of factions (offsets the quadratic increase in hostility events with added factions)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: December 13, 2015, 12:37:57 PM »

I'm having an issue: moderate spikes of lag in the campaign, which I can deal with, but massive lag in battles. My computer is a piece of crap, so I've disabled shaderlib, but something else is going on that is taking up huge amounts of resources.
I'm playing SS+ with all the mods, my computer can handle realspace and battles pretty well but I'm dropping to 45 fps in hyperspace. I've dedicated 3-4 gbs (8 gig total) to SS+ in the vprams. I've already disabled shader lib (it's still compatibility enabled) but everything else is default. Any obvious settings to reduce hyperspace lag or is there jsut too many battles for my CPU/GPU? (3.20 gHz/ eight gig total)

Are your performances better when using the same factions mods but not SS+? SS+ increase the number of fleets so there might be an impact on the campaign layer, more so in hyper than normal space, but it shouldn't change anything in combat.

Mudanzas Valencia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • mudanzas valencia
« Reply #1879 on: December 13, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »

Are your performances better when using the same factions mods but not SS+? SS+ increase the number of fleets so there might be an impact on the campaign layer, more so in hyper than normal space, but it shouldn't change anything in combat.

Oh...well I originally posted in general for general requests to ask about reducing hyperspace lag while using mods...but for whatever reason mods moved it specifically to SS+ folder. Um...I don't know, I guess I'll star a thread in mod general discussion about reducing lag?
si desea un presupuesto para su hogar o negocio
http://www.mudanzasvalemcia.com
Sus muebles, así como nuestra reputación en Valencia, tu empresa de mudanzas economicas.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: December 13, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »

Oh...well I originally posted in general for general requests to ask about reducing hyperspace lag while using mods...but for whatever reason mods moved it specifically to SS+ folder. Um...I don't know, I guess I'll star a thread in mod general discussion about reducing lag?

I have a 3.2GHz quad core tooand 8GB ram and an ATI R9 290 that has 3GB ram. I have dedicated 2GB min and 5GB max to the gam and hyperspace FPS can go from 17FPS when there are many fleets in my screen and it is chaotic to 30FPS when I am in motion and there are some fleets around and 45 to 60 when it is empty. I am using the shaderlib but that is because I imagined my GPU can handle the stress and not tax the CPU. I have though Nexerelin, SS+ and 4 factions, and thanks to Nex that hyperspace can get quite chaotic. 30 FPS in hyperspace is the most common FPS I get.

AS a sidenote, even if I play videos the same time (youtube or media player) I do not get any slowdowns in hyperspace.
Ignorance is bliss..

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: December 13, 2015, 03:26:33 PM »

Umm.. is there a Boss Bounties a separate mod ?
can't play SS+ ( : ( ) b'coz weak pc
if not i have request if possible (those special ships... mmmm  ::) )
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1882 on: December 13, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »

ShaderLib isn't free on the CPU: it's a 10-20% performance hit to the CPU in battle.  No performance loss in campaign unless you don't have enough VRAM to load up all the textures (can happen if you're using lots of factions - especially Scy - and have under 1GB), in which case your performance will tank.

Currently, vanilla Starsector campaign's main performance hits are hyperspace storm calculations, fleet AI, and rendering fleets.  These are all CPU hits, not GPU hits (yes, even the rendering is more of a CPU than a GPU hit).  If you're in hyperspace with a lot of fleets on screen, that's basically the worst-case scenario.

This happens with battles with just 3 frigates (mine plus 2 enemy). With vanilla I can handle the 80 ship mega battles without any lag or framerate issues. I've also noticed increased stuttering during "preloading" of the main menu, but I just figured that was due to the larger number of textures being loaded.

Any idea what could be causing this or advice? As with most I very much enjoy this mod and would love to play it (thanks as always for the hard work of making it!).

How much VRAM do you have?  If you run out, performance will die.  Some mods (SS+, Scy) use a lot by default due to the amount of graphics assets they load.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: December 13, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »

ShaderLib isn't free on the CPU: it's a 10-20% performance hit to the CPU in battle.  No performance loss in campaign unless you don't have enough VRAM to load up all the textures (can happen if you're using lots of factions - especially Scy - and have under 1GB), in which case your performance will tank.

So either way those nice sweet effects of the ShaderLib will tax the CPU even if the GPU can handle the graphics and texture stress?
Ignorance is bliss..

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1884 on: December 13, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

So either way those nice sweet effects of the ShaderLib will tax the CPU even if the GPU can handle the graphics and texture stress?

Yep.  You expected otherwise?  Something has to tell the GPU what to do, after all.  It's a big, dumb number cruncher.

ZIVth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: December 13, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »

I love Starsector+, and I've been playing it for the last couple of SS versions ever since I discovered it. Having said that, the latest version's salaries are a real drag, coupled with the higher costs of ships, as well as the sparseness of bounties and nerfing of the recent organ trading missions.

Apart from waiting for the next version, is there any edits I can make to the current one to reduce the amount paid out? My current 5 frigate fleet costs nearly 5k in salaries per month, which is making the game pretty grindy.

Edit: ^^^ Also what he said.

Reposting this because it seems to have gotten buried. Where are the salary calculations hidden in the SS files? Are they accessible for casual edits?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: December 13, 2015, 04:06:30 PM »

Currently, vanilla Starsector campaign's main performance hits are hyperspace storm calculations, fleet AI, and rendering fleets.  These are all CPU hits, not GPU hits (yes, even the rendering is more of a CPU than a GPU hit).  If you're in hyperspace with a lot of fleets on screen, that's basically the worst-case scenario.

How much VRAM do you have?  If you run out, performance will die.  Some mods (SS+, Scy) use a lot by default due to the amount of graphics assets they load.

I'm guessing no hit on the CPU is the Shaderlib is set off in its config but still enabled?

I have 1024 MB VRAM on an AMD Radeon HD 6450. I don't know anything about graphics cards except that its pretty weak sauce :P.

Mods I was trying:
SS+
Blackrock
Citadel
Interstellar Imperium
Templar

Overreaching for how weak the system is?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #1887 on: December 13, 2015, 04:19:46 PM »

I'm guessing no hit on the CPU is the Shaderlib is set off in its config but still enabled?

I have 1024 MB VRAM on an AMD Radeon HD 6450. I don't know anything about graphics cards except that its pretty weak sauce :P.

Mods I was trying:
SS+
Blackrock
Citadel
Interstellar Imperium
Templar

Overreaching for how weak the system is?

The two hardest-hitting ones are SS+ and Blackrock, followed by Templars.  With just those five you should theoretically be okay.  ShaderLib has no performance/memory impact whatsoever if it's disabled - I went through a considerable effort to make sure it can be completely disabled.  As best as I can tell, it's either some Java 8 problem with your system, you're close to out of RAM, or your VRAM is getting bogged down too much.  Try turning off BRDY and Knights Templar, as a test case.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: December 13, 2015, 04:30:41 PM »

Will do. Question: I've been using Java 7 as the 64 bit jre - should I switch to Java 8? I lost track of what SS can handle.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: December 13, 2015, 04:35:45 PM »

Will do. Question: I've been using Java 7 as the 64 bit jre - should I switch to Java 8? I lost track of what SS can handle.
NO! Hell Alex is switching BACK to java 7 as 8 sucks so much!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 197