Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Long-range missile ship  (Read 23387 times)

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
  • Have a towel, just need a ship...
    • View Profile
Re: Long-range missile ship
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »

no, no no. The Phase anchor is what makes the ships have a maximum top speed, and allow them to use jump points. They're an integral part of every ship, from frigates to capitals. The fancy phase stuff is just an explanation for why all the ships in the radius take damage on the bits that the AoE splash hits.
Executive Creative Director of Naysmyth Armouries Mod (Very WIP)

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2014, 07:46:19 AM »

Hm, the phase anchor also seems to keep the ships in pace whilst whilst they fire off their Gauss guns and not get sent flying in the opposite direction.

So what does the effect look like?

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2014, 08:09:34 AM »

erm, big awesome purple/blue phasic shockwave , exploding multiple times on the hulls of the ships hit by the shockwave. maybe some EMP arcs when the warhead detonates, just before detonation, the warhead phase shifts.... what else do you guys think?

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »

I like the idea of it phasing out just before exploding, though I would probably keep it phased a bit longer up to its terminal phase to prevent it being destroyed in flight.

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:52 AM »

well, it has an EXTREMELY limited time it can be phased, and it would pretty much be used up by the act of phasing out. Remember - the whole point is that it detonates inside P-space

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »

Another type of missile I'd like to see are those with two stages.

Chaff decoy ahead of a HE warhead. The first stage is a bunch of chaff that is fired ahead of the main missile, maybe 20-30 bits of debris with 1 pt health. The PD systems target the chaff first, allowing the missile to close in further before the pd systems can engage them. Useful against laser pd systems. Flak systems would obliterate the chaff cloud much quicker.

Sabot warhead ahead of HE warhead. ATM you have a separate anti-shield weapon and HE missiles. Put them together! Sabot warhead goes off in terminal phase, overloads shield, allows HE warhead to continue through and deliver main payload.

Slower torpedo that has multiple guided submunitions like the MIRV but more powerful...him..that one can be pretty much done with vanilla...scrap that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:11 AM »

As to the original topic, perhaps unlimited (custom) missiles could be a ship system (or custom hullmod) for this hypothetical missile boat.  Ship uses system, fires a salvo of Harpoon equivalents, and waits another ten or so seconds for the missiles to be replenished.

As for other missile weapons.  I like to see a heavy high-capacity Annihilator, like medium with much more ammo and a bit faster, making it a flux-free assault gun.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14:39 AM »

Agreed megas, getting back to the main OP. Perhaps it is a hull mod allowing reload of missile racks at the cost of supplies, with a maximum number supplies that can be used in any one combat deployment that is determined by the cargo storage of the missile ship.

I'd also suggest incorporating vertical launch systems into the missile cruiser, see http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=7624.0

You could probably bash kit the Mule into a missile ship, if the central mount were a large VLS missile mount.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Long-range missile Shia
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 10:27:55 AM »

In space sir Isaac Newton is a BAMF.

Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son-of-a-*** in space!

ME2 :-D

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 10:50:37 AM »

Yeah! ME2  :D

That said after about 10% the speed of light we really need to call Einstein the deadliest SOB in space, as it wouldn't be 3.14564313 x 1016 at .7c, but in fact 5.24273855 x 1016 joules of energy when you start to include relativistic effects, which is something more like 12.5 megatons of TNT.

Newton hits hard, Einstein hits way harder  ;D

...that was nerdy
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:16:25 PM by Debido »

Bjørn_in_the_Sector

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »

nerdy is more than fine when talking about 'splosions :P

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »

Have you seen that 'Molecular Detachment Device' weapon from the "Ender" movie? Now THAT was an awesome cannon. If the enemy clusters up, an EMP arcs across all ships that are close enough to each other :D Scripting could be tricky.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2014, 10:02:11 AM »

Dr. D?  ;) It would indeed be cool, but its almost the definition of overpowered. Maybe if the arcs just do HE damage so shields could block it...

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »

I like the "chaff" idea quite a bit; if nothing else, it'd be cool to have "chaff missiles" that are essentially harmless but blind PD weapons briefly, allowing for a strike.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »

Dr. D?  ;) It would indeed be cool, but its almost the definition of overpowered. Maybe if the arcs just do HE damage so shields could block it...

True, you'd want shields to block it otherwise...rather OP. Though you can do some other things to balance it, such as having a two minute warm up time, by which time half the fight is already over anyway. On top of that your other ships are probably already engaging them in close ship to ship battle basically meaning you're going to be sacrificing them/doing damage to them.

Another thing you could do...is have it if the weapon or ship is hit with EMP damage whilst charging the weapon, it overloads - setting the blast off prematurely inside your ship (ouch!).

But my word, would it be awesome to wipe out a screen of enemies and your own with the Little Doctor.

"Oh noes! It's a fighter swarm!"

"Ska-dooosh" the ultimate anti-fighter weapon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4