Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] ICE Faction  (Read 135181 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ICE Faction (WIP)
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »

Hey, I never said your ships wouldn't blow up in the process  :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:23 PM »

It's finally ready! (Just in time to become outdated  :))

Download ICE version 0.0.0  (Requires LazyLib)

See the original post for details

Overview of changes:
-Added 8 new ships
-Removed 2 ships, Pentagram and Flashghast (for now)
-Reworked Nightseer
-Added several weapons and ship systems
-Many improvements to playability and  AI

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: ICE Faction
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »

Awesome. Really like how the Shiekwraith looks.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2014, 08:29:17 PM »

PSA: Just found a bug. Trying to load the random ICE missions while Interstellar Imperium is enabled may cause the game to freeze. I'll upload a fix tonight.

@Nanao-kun: Thanks! Glad you like the Shiekwraith  :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »

Bugs fixed. Sorry about that  ::)
Please let me know if you find any more

Download ICE version 0.0.1  (Requires LazyLib)

Bugs fixed:
-Randomized missions no longer crash when Interstellar Imperium is selected as one of the factions
-Phase cloak cooldown sound effect no longer plays for non-ICE ships

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2014, 03:44:14 PM »

Found and fixed a few more issues. I'm sure there are plenty left  :)

Download ICE version 0.0.2  (Requires LazyLib)

BALANCE CHANGES
- Ship prices adjusted. Notably, the value of the Palantir was reduced from 15000 to 1250
- Nerfed Palantir a bit to make it easier to kill.

BUGS FIXED
- Transferring command to an Athame no longer has a risk of reducing its top speed.
- Fission Drill AI is better about committing to a charge. It won't toggle off at inopportune times as often.
- Removed mechanic from the Palantir that caused to to generate flux more quickly while cloaked near objectives.
- Randomized missions no longer try to select factions without ships, which would previously cause the game to freeze.
- Stability improvements. Should prevent a crash that I couldn't reproduce.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »

- Ship prices adjusted. Notably, the value of the Palantir was reduced from 15000 to 1250

Haha I must admit I noticed this, looked at the description text (which says they are still viable due to their low cost)  and thought ??? :P

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2014, 04:40:19 PM »

:D Yeah, I'll bet you're not the only one to think that. Believe it or not I set the price that high on purpose at first. Originally the Palantir was supposed to be all-but-invincible, with a 0 flux/second phase cloak. Unfortunately, that made it much more useful as a distraction than a scout, since you could just send it to the enemy side and half their fleet would spend the whole battle trying to kill it.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2014, 12:55:03 PM »

I've found a few more things to fix, so I'll be releasing another patch soon. Any requests for changes while I'm at it?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »

I've found a few more things to fix, so I'll be releasing another patch soon. Any requests for changes while I'm at it?

Yes.

I hate you so much for this.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

(why does every modded faction systems have to hug the goddamn edge of the map?)
MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  >:D

Ahem. Right. So I guess I should have advertised this a bit better, but you can buy ships and weapons from any Idoneus Refugee Fleet as long as they're not hostile. In the future players won't be able to trade at Idoneus Citadel at all, and the only reason to visit Ulterius will be for one or two scenarios introduced by the mod.

I guess it would be prudent to let players know they should trade with those fleets rather than the station, but I neglected to come up with a way to provide that information in-game. I'll think about ways to do that and implement a solution for the next patch. Suggestions welcome.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »

Is it intended behavior that my drones, um, flee from me? ;)
Spoiler
[close]

zeno0010

• Lieutenant
  • Light Shines Brightest In The Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2014, 01:36:25 PM »

The Eidolon A.I phases just to move and vents when its not phasing. it rarely fires the missiles i gave it Q_Q. these ships look and move awsomly though! I want to tell the pilot of the moving drill to calm his ****. Then again that's his charm  8). The seraph requires a butt ton of fuel, not sure if intentional. Stormwhisps description on armament says its armed with harpoons, flair description says boomerangs. Mobius ray looks awsome, it and most other weapons dont hurt hull much cept for flamebolt.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 01:46:36 PM by zeno0010 »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2014, 04:48:36 PM »

@LazyWizard: Ha! Nope, not intended, but I just figured out why it was happening to you and I think it's somewhat amusing. Mx Drones owned by the player ship will prioritize the player's target as long as the target is friendly. So when you target one of your own drones you'll end up with two Mx Drones who fly around their buddy and one that tries to fly around itself. When the targeted drone tries to fly around itself, it picks a random location to go to near it's target (itself). It never gets there, however, because the location coordinates are relative to the target rather than absolute. It's essentially chasing a carrot on a stick. Silliness  :)

That could have been pretty hard to find and figure out without your screenshot, so thanks!

I'll remove that LR PD laser, too. That's not supposed to be there.

@zeno0010: Glad you like how the ships look and move :D. The Eidolon (and other ICE ships) phase and vent while traveling because their phase cloaks provide a speed boost. The AI controlling whether or not missiles are fired is the same for an Eidolon as a vanilla Starsector ship (unless it's a modded weapon with specialized AI, in which case only the author of the weapon can really do anything about it). Thanks for letting me know about the discrepancy in the Stormwhisp's description. Will fix.

The atrocious gas mileage of the Seraph is actually intentional, but I think I might tone it down a bit. The tow cable is the main reason it requires so much more fuel than other ICE frigates. The Ox uses 5 fuel per LY, and the tow cable is it's only perk, so I figured the Seraph's base fuel per LY should be at least 6. Later I decided to double the fuel consumption of all ICE ships to help compensate for the way they repair instantly out of combat. Hence 12. I think I'll reduce that to 9 so it's not quite so ridiculous.

Yeah, most ICE weapons are oriented toward bypassing shields and/or stripping armor, but if you want straight up DPS to unarmored hull the Scatter PD can be very effective.

Thanks for the feedback!

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 03, 2014, 08:03:27 AM »

So i played an ICE campaign and i have to say i didn't have such a blast in Starsector in a while! This faction give a ridiculous amount of fun to play with. ICE ships are so different yet extremely enjoyable to fly, for the balance i didn't saw anything worth noting. I didn't got the chance to play with the Flashghast and the Pentagram as they were unavailable to the ICE station but maybe they've been resupplied later on, i just bought everything and went to the omnifactory to avoid lengthy travels.

For the frigates, the Spectre standard variant is not that great as a starter ship, the very low range weaponry make it very weak in early frigate knife-fights. Later on as a "ninja" strike frigate against bigger ships though? Much better.

A (very) good starter loadout would be a mauler/ACs combo. A hex AC with a pair of falx beam make a pretty decent support teammate early on as well.

The Nightseer is incredible, while it's a bit weak by itself, it become very scary with at least one support (i used a hex AC Spectre to take down shields). The Nosferatu ray utterly wreck un-shielded targets and with the phase jaunt you can easily dance around the enemy, stealing armor here and there.

The Athame is a bit of a joke ship, at least in the beginning. Later in the game i guess they would make some pretty nasty crewed torpedoes, very niche role but not completely useless.

I'm not sure about the Palantir, the vision it provide is okay and it can keep busy the enemy ship for a while. It's not incredibly useful but for such low cost, i'm not going to complain.

The Seraph however is awesome. Yeah it's just a tug but a tug with frickin' repair drones! Global armor/CR regen is too good to pass, those are the ones that keep your guys alive. Do you know if the drones of several Seraph stack? That could make a fully combat skilled capital ship absolutely unkillable!

For the destroyers, the Soulbane is damn good early to mid-game but very expensive (the Mobius ray add to the cost) unfortunately it felt a bit fragile later on, like most destroyers tho. The Shiekwraith however is much more affordable and tough, i have to say i didn't used it too much in late game so i'm not sure but early on it's very good tank for your fleet, which is a godsend for the fragile ICE frigates. It can't do much more but if you need an early flying shield it'll do the job.

The cruisers are where the funny ones are.

The Eidolon is a nice support carrier but can't brawl like a venture. Also i noticed that standard variant Eidolons have missiles only weaponry and they tend to "hug" their targets, Hex ACs would be good on them but they still tend to go up close and personal which isn't ideal... Later on you can avoid this thanks to the Apocrypha but before you get one of those, it's not perfect.

I'm not that fan of the boomerangs srm on it, mainly because they are srms! I would rather have my Eidolon to stay far away, lobbing lrms at the enemy while its drones and launch bays support the fleet. Same thing apply to the Apocrypha, it is better at a safe range.

The Kelpie is the weirdo of the band, the AI can do weird things with it (cloaking when "eating" an enemy) and can have trouble choosing the right target. For the player however the Kelpie is a monster, in a few seconds you can slaughter everything from a frigate to a capital ship. It's weaker in big battles but in 1v1 it's pretty much invincible.

The Kelpie suffer from its faster phase cloak like the Eidolon, both will abuse it to move to position. Mobility is good but i'd rather want my ships to keep their flux low in case things went too hot, i witnessed a lot my Kelpie/Eidolon charging the enemy with nearly max flux. I think it would be better if their cloak wouldn't make them faster than the passive flux boost.

The Voidreaver is a beast, it's ranked as a cruiser but it work (and cost) more like a capital ship. The twin Mobius rays and the Hypermass driver give it a truckload of damage, because of the nature of the HD i don't really like letting the AI use it but it's an incredible flagship for the player.

For the capital ships, the Apocrypha is awesome. By itself it's barely worthy of being a serious combat ship but the Tactical Ansible hull mod is strong, very strong, too strong? It regenerate the command points and as such give unrivaled mobility to the fleet, you can order whatever you want without being afraid of running out of points. Want that strategic point? Fighter dude, go get it! Enemy fleet is massing in a big blob? Order your fleet to relocate and kite it to death. Want a coffee? Yeah, definitely have a command point for that too.

With this, ICE become the most tactical faction ever, you lure the enemy where you want, you move your ships where you want, it's incredible, it's fun.

Speaking of luring enemy ships where you want...

Spoiler

You want that sensor array? Come get it!
[close]

The large mine launcher is brutal. Autofire with Munition AutoFac hullmod and you can lay death trap wherever you want, it's awesome.

I didn't find out how to use the recall teleporter, which would have been very handy to recall my overzealous Eidolon to safety. Sad.

I wasn't that much impressed by the Abraxas though. It's armament is pretty weak and it's not even that tanky, the phase jaunt make it very maneuverable though. I didn't unlocked the heavy armor hullmod, so it may be the reason why it felt a bit fragile. The Nova discharger with Mjollnir combo should make it a beast in 1v1 but i never could get it right... I guess the Abraxas is the kind of capital ship that really become monstrous with high-level combat skills... But otherwise? Not sure.

The Shalom class is basically an oversized valkyrie, without guns, and ship systems. No reason to get this one currently, maybe with SS future updates? I still would have liked to see it in a support role, a bit like the Nomad Oasis.

Not much to say about the fighter wings, they're good, they fill diverse roles. Those bombers are terrifying and looks cool dropping their bombs.

A few little mistakes i noticed. Void Reaver "elete" cruiser, Soul Bane "elete" destroyer. The Mobius ray description name it as a "Mobeus" ray. Finally the Stormwhisp description say it have 2 boomerangs SRMs while it actually have 2 harpoons. Also ICE ships don't have repair cost, they instantly repair themselves between two battles (even in a combat and then pursuit scenario). I guess it make sense given they have all regen stuff and all...

That's it, i think i said it all. Honestly it's currently one of the best mod on the forum to me, it's gorgeous, it's incredibly fun. It's "almost" perfect, yes almost because getting of the outrageous distance to travel to get those ships, i'm still mad at you for this.

Still, good job, very good job.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19