Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Modded Faction tech-level  (Read 18785 times)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
Re: Modded Faction tech-level
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 08:21:27 AM »

Nah, really, the HD are fine where they are. It's how I picture them.
Yes, there are two ships that have gigantic beam cannons, but they take up massive space, hence the Skaal being nearly void of other weapons. And lore wise those cannons are not quite that high-end either. Rather dangerous if not continuously being checked and maintained by engineers. Certain malfunctions in the weapons could end up ripping the ship to little bits if engineering does not intervene.
The Sajuuk-Khar is huge, but even pirates can make a huge ship if they spend enough time on it. (I think I noted somewhere that it took the Hiigarans 30+ years to make the 'Pride of Hiigara'.)

HD ships are pretty standard. No fancy stuff like phasing, teleportation or any of that insane magic some modders come up with. (Partly because I couldn't code myself out of a paper bag.)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:37:27 PM »

I think Exigency should be up with Neutrino on the chart anyway since they have singularity-travelling tech, biotechnological ships and tons of other weirdness none of the other factions have access to.

For Exigency, at first i wanted to put them at the top. Black hole travel is serious business! But on the other hand, i think Exi tech isn't that much developed but just different. They probably were Domain scientists working on bio-mechanical hulls and gravity weaponry back in the day, because they didn't have access to other techs after the fall, they developed their ships according to their knowledge. That's why Exi lack shields for example. (MesoTroniK will correct me if i'm wrong). So different tech, but not as efficient as TT who are currently the leader in the area. I think.

It is true my guys are very advanced, but I personally would also rate them below Tri Tachyon. Helmut pretty much nailed it, they are not more advanced than other Expansion epoch ships. In fact they are in many ways less so, projectile weapons, cannot use shields even with hull mods, and reliance on missiles. But they used their unique research from the past to make seemingly primitive weapons competitive, the ability to rapidly manufacture ammo even during battle allowed them to take what is normally used sparingly as support weapons, and fire enough of them to make up for the normal deficiencies. And yes my idea for them was always some advanced pre collapse research corporation that was a competitor to Tri-Tachyon that worked on all sorts of non combat technologies for the Domain of Man. **** hit the fan and they did what they could with them, juicing up low tech weapons to the only logical conclusion and adapting gravity generation technologies to be used as weapons, defenses, and to nullify a small area of the gravity well of a blackhole. Sometime I want to really expand the lore, but until the vanilla lore is fleshed out they will remain mysterious. And maybe someday you will actually find out what is on the other side of Tasserus, and traveling there will not be easy ;)

Also what happens when some rogue Exigency officer leaks blueprints to other factions of the sector to stir up some chaos? Well I will tell you this, Exigency tech even clumsily combined with normal Domain technology will be terrifying...

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »

I'm still pondering why purifiers are waaaaaay up there.

also pondering if valks shouldn't be lower down.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »

Nothing puts Purifiers in their place like a couple of Cigen cannon shots, those hulls blow up real nice :)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 06:56:05 AM »

I'm still pondering why purifiers are waaaaaay up there.

Insane shields efficiency, very fast ships, very long range energy weaponry. Oh and they are machines made by the Domain.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 07:07:19 AM »

how insane are we talking here? 0.01 eff? 400 speed on capitals? 5000+ range on everything?

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 07:57:18 AM »

Not that insane, but shields efficiency going from 0.3 to 0.6 is very good, even Tri-tachyons ships aren't that efficient. For their speed, after looking at their stats, they aren't as fast as i remembered, actually they can even be considered slow. They don't have capital ships BTW, their biggest ship is a cruiser but with the power of a capital ship. Their weapons however goes up to 1500 (medium mounts only IIRC). Also i think they have very good flux capacity and dissipation but then i'm going too much into the numbers rather than the lore, comparing number isn't really what i aimed when i made this chart.

They are still balanced though, as Meso said, without their shields, they are defenseless. They are mostly a sniper based faction with their Zaap guns with very high damage but long reload time, if you can close on them with a lot of kinetic weaponry, they're screwed.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:40:38 PM by HELMUT »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 06:26:05 PM »

Insane shields efficiency, very fast ships, very long range energy weaponry. Oh and they are machines made by the Domain.

Will the Remnants count if they are controlled by some insane artificial general intelligence that is likely some old Domain artifact? And that thing somehow uploaded a part of itself into an auto factory, and it started pumping out insane quantities of ships made from unknown blueprints. I would imagine that the star system this event will occur in, will get real unpleasant really fast...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:49:48 PM by MesoTroniK »

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »

I find it interesting that Blackrock is higher than Zorg.

Zudgemud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

I think my faction was placed right where I wanted it, a bit lower than Tri Tach :)

Really interesting picture you made, I think it's great.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2015, 04:16:13 PM »

Major necro I know, but this thread is interesting and worth keeping.

So about the 4 major newcomers:

Templars should be wayyy up there because templars.

But where do you think SCY, Diable Avionics and Interstellar Imperium stand?

Also, Im not sure the gedune are in league with exy and p9. They feel lower tech than that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:25:29 PM by Sabaton »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 04:50:37 PM »

Heh, that is a bit of a necro but I do like that chart and yea the modiverse has changed a lot since then.

It is also worth noting that it predates right-click ship systems on Exi, which really made them more nutz :o

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »

II is around Mayorate, Templars are past the top.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »

Let us all take a moment to remember those who perished during the great mod-massacres of 0.6 and 0.65. God rest their souls.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2015, 12:35:17 AM »

Let us all take a moment to remember those who perished during the great mod-massacres of 0.6 and 0.65. God rest their souls.

Amen.

Also, yea the double ships systems should push exy higher. This chart is seriously outdated. Maybe Hellmut will correct it.

PS: Where does ICE stand? I reckon in the upper ladder.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:05:02 AM by Sabaton »
Pages: 1 [2] 3