Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Burn drive into battle = bad idea.  (Read 10226 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Burn drive into battle = bad idea.
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2013, 05:13:49 PM »

if it's frustrating the player base, possibly

I don't find it bothersome though...
mmm.... tartiflette

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2013, 05:22:42 PM »

Is it bad that I think this is awesome and do not, in any way, shape, or form, want to "fix" it?

Nope.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »

Is it bad that I think this is awesome and do not, in any way, shape, or form, want to "fix" it?

Not really :D. At least the asteroids don't break up and cascade :: evil grin ::

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2013, 06:00:23 PM »

You dont need to "fix" it, its a good feature, just need to do the fix you just did, or have all ships come in on different lanes so collisions are impossible. ;D

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2013, 06:11:56 PM »

Nope! :-D I honestly wish you could do this intentionally lol

I once began a battle and the enemy, at the other end of the map, burn drived into a gigantic asteroid. It must have been a dominator because the way it hit was just enormously momentum inducing. The asteroid careened across the map at ridiculously fast speeds, like 4 times faster than the fastest missile. It hit my capital ship before I had time to say FTW and did like 3500 damage and malfunctioned most of my guns. My first thought was OH GOD ARACHNIDS

excellent reference!

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »

Yes and no.  Having ships burn in blind, whacking into whatever asteroids are there with no option to avoid is an issue, as it can cause potentially crippling damage.  Being able to choose where your ships are deployed, while being able to see the locations of asteroids in the immediate area would allow for avoiding mishaps, or possibly allow for performing asteroid impact manoeuvers, to possibly throw rocks at your enemies!

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 10:35:46 PM »

Have ships burn in with the shields on, that way no damage is done and asteroids harmlessly bounce off. Potentially the asteroids get exploded on impact with said shield.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 11:16:10 PM »

Having ships burn in blind

The player can see if their fleet is taking on another in an asteroid field on the strategic map though. Maybe information like this just needs to be made available to players at the start.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2013, 04:10:04 AM »

Having ships burn in blind

The player can see if their fleet is taking on another in an asteroid field on the strategic map though. Maybe information like this just needs to be made available to players at the start.

Yes but why should you take damage from that? Do your fleets normally just run through asteroids when using burn drive? How do they avoid taking damage when using burn drive? I feel like if you can fly through an asteroid belt using burn drive (campaign screen) you should be able to avoid taking damage when transitioning from burn drive to combat drive (forget the name, but campaign screen to battle screen)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2013, 07:50:15 AM »

I imagine that fleets just move through holes in the asteroid fields when no one is actively pursuing them and pushing for a fight. If you can pick when to fight, you can retreat since you're in an asteroid field, if you don't have the benefit of picking where you want to fight and the AI is dead set about fighting you in an area where there are a lot of rocks and away from those gaps, your fleet doesn't have much of a choice.

Long story short, making unplanned maneuversvin an area where one would normally snake around fields of debris might make it such that you end up off the beaten path.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:58:36 AM by Flare »

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Jazwana

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2013, 08:33:02 AM »

Asteroids are awesome, do not "fix" this!  I too have seen the 600+ speed asteroid swanning it's way down the map past my fleet after the Pirates launched their dominator sneak attack  :D

The only problem I see is that while an ODD number of ships deploy in staggered lanes, an EVEN number of ships deploy in line directly behind one another.  If you could change this so both ODD and EVEN numbers of ships deploy in staggered lanes there would be no problems even with weird speed/ship AI issues.

so, instead of

I   I   I
I   I   I

do
I   I   I
  I   I   I

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2013, 08:31:19 PM »

I think there is a way to mitigate this sort of thing in battle. Deploy the fleet in a column with the lead element being a particularly durable and wide craft. This amounts to deploying each ship individually to get them in a single top to bottum line.

Pages: 1 2 [3]