Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lost Fleet Series space military science fiction by John G. Hemry  (Read 2565 times)

Hari Seldon

• Commander
    • View Profile

The Lost Fleet series is about a long, fighting retreat in space like the famous Great Retreat and Long March.
http://www.jack-campbell.com/_series/lost_fleet/lost_buy_books.htm

The author John G. Hemry was a "Navigator, Gunnery Officer" on the USS SPRUANCE
http://www.johnghemry.com/_pages/about_john_hemry.htm

And he used that experience to make the battles in space the best I've ever seen.  Ok so he has the ships looping around for another pass instead of the more efficient flipping 180 degrees and firing engines to reverse direction but still the battles are awesome.  The characters are passable.  There is an audiobook version of every book in the series.

I'm just saying that Starsector reminds me of that book series and has all of the elements to actually reenact the book series (well except for the 3D formations).
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Fleet Series space military science fiction by John G. Hemry
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 09:37:34 AM »

I've read the series as well. I agree, best space battles I can think of, if only for plausibility and consistency. Things like fleet management and logistical problems are also interesting to read about. No wonder it reminds you of Starsector, for both the inspiration is WW2 naval combat.
The overall story, side plots and characters are quite cheesy though, more something to endure than enjoy. Thinking about it, I would have preferred the story in form of a report. Still, overall it's worth it, IMO.

Ok so he has the ships looping around for another pass instead of the more efficient flipping 180 degrees and firing engines to reverse direction but still the battles are awesome.

Reversing thrust would reduce their speed to zero for a moment and make it impossible to evade long ranged weapons.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Fleet Series space military science fiction by John G. Hemry
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:51:25 PM »

Ooh cool, I'll have to take a look at these. Thanks for posting.