Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Setting to revert to old autofire behavior  (Read 6742 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Setting to revert to old autofire behavior
« on: February 14, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »

I can say with complete confidence I prefer the old autofire style behavior. The new one is just too much of a hassle for me (I like to set up my autofire the moment I enter battle, and I do this so fast that sometimes it registers my keypresses out of order and I end up firing one of my AM blasters when I meant to shoot missiles and then I end up silently cursing to myself over my error which I must now correct in the middle of an engagement), even if it does perhapse make the UI a bit more clear for a newcomer to the game (hence the setting-based option to revert)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Setting to revert to old autofire behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »

The only new thing is that you can select an autofiring group to override autofire while it's selected - without having to toggle if off and then back on when you're done.

I'm not sure what the problem you're describing is. Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

Exactly, thats the new thing that I don't like. I prefer just setting everything to autofire, and then switching to my missiles as necessary, but currently (a lot of ships by default do not have missiles as the first group, meaning I have to manually set that in the refit screen /every single time/ otherwise I have to do the switch in battle) a single slip up in the ordering of keypresses will result in one of the weapon groups (Even though it is set to autofire) not autofiring because its 'selected' as the currently controlled group.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »

Most ships have missiles in group 2. So, wait, pressing Shift-1-3-4 and then 2 is a problem? I mean, since you'd be pressing that 2 anyway when it comes time to switch to missiles. Ah, I think I see - you're saying you might mistime the keystroke and not switch. But on the bright side, the overridden group blinks, to make sure you can see what's going on.

I guess I've never had this problem with it - maybe if you give it a bit longer, you'll get used to it? It's definitely not what it was before, and you've probably built up a habit to what it used to be, but, well, it's changed now :) I get what you're saying, but I can't add an option to switch back to an older control scheme for everything that changes. It'd be a mess!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 05:18:34 PM by Alex »

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 05:33:03 PM »

Is there a way to auto-set auto-fire, and to set the missile group as the group that is pre-selected at the start of the battle?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »

No. Hmm. Could save the selected group and autofire status between battles, but that might be confusing. Right now you know you always need to do this - and for me, it's an enjoyable "lock and load" feeling of getting ready for the fight. There's ample time to do it, too.

If it was saved, you'd have to check the status to make sure it's what you expect/want (say, coming back to a save, or after switching to another ship, etc), so it might actually be easier to screw up.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »

blurgh, ok, how about just make missile groups #1 for every ship?

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »

You can change what number they're on in the refit screen.

Inconspicuous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »

I think it would be nice to be able to set a weapon group's default auto-fire behavior in the refit screen, rather than save the setting between battles. I can't think of a situation where I'd want to be manually firing PD lasers and flak cannons, but I sometimes put things like pulse lasers on manual to avoid generating excess flux.

I guess pressing shift+4 once per fight isn't really much of a hassle, though. :P

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »

You can change what number they're on in the refit screen.
Doing this manually every time is what I have a problem with.

I don't want to have to make a program to automatically go through all the variants and swap the group 2's with group 1's :|

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

What a  ???    Dudes are you "arguing" how much buttons you have to push at beginning of battle? You serious??? I don't even pay attention to it. As Alex says, it just falls under the feel of game as preparation to battle. Solders would tightned the helmet, checking belts and shields etc. And ships need to manage their weapons  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »

Well normally you would have take care of such trivialities before hand, so they are default procedure and you don't need to give orders for it.

And its not about how many so much as 'trying to do it quickly and being more easy to mess up on' (a delay in shift will simply cause weapon group 2 to be activated)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:37:58 PM »

Ok dude, i'm loading autopulse lasers. Bye bye  :P

@Avan You know, its not fun like this. At least power up you shields and fire in random directions  ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:20:57 AM by arcibalde »
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Apophis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:44:39 AM »

I think it would be nice to be able to set a weapon group's default auto-fire behavior in the refit screen

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 11:41:39 AM »

I think it would be nice to be able to set a weapon group's default auto-fire behavior in the refit screen

This makes sense! (in the weapon group menu, while refitting)
Pages: [1] 2