Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fighter Pilots Don't Last  (Read 2440 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Fighter Pilots Don't Last
« on: October 12, 2013, 07:51:11 AM »

So after having some fun with a good carrier fleet, I noticed that I lose a lot of my elite pilots in every engagement. It seems that we are back to having fighters being flying coffins again. Is this intentional (which is fine)? Or is the "death" rate for fighter pilots going to be reduced in the future?

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Pilots Don't Last
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 08:05:18 AM »

Why not just use less experienced crew for fighters?
I don't think pilot's chance of survival is very high if his fighter turns into molten slag by that cap-ship grade pulse laser.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »

I think this sounds like a great candidate for a leadership skill :P. I agree that at the moment the death rate is pretty high.

Well, elite pilots make a huge difference. Fighters last longer, fly faster, do more damage, AND you have more replacement chasis available.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 08:15:03 AM »

Do fighter pilots even have a chance of surviving when their flying coffin gets blasted? I've never really played much with fighters, so I don't know!  ;D

Or... Is there no such thing as an ejector seat in space? Or at least, uhm, ejector bubbles? Or whatever the space equivalent would be.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »

But every other epic space opera has fighter pilots dying by the hundreds to whittle down a cap-ship formation! :'(

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 09:35:47 AM »

We still have yet to see skills in the tree that focus on fighters. I'd like skills with perks like "chance to retrieve pilots 50%" or something of the like. Also, i don't know how much effect do elite pilots have in fighters, or if they provide any bonus perks and maneuvers like it happens for frigates. I think we'll see an overhaul sometime in the future.