Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .6a Modding - Save/load time slowdown?  (Read 8179 times)

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
.6a Modding - Save/load time slowdown?
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:19:19 PM »

So, as a result of Uomoz's Corvus/Sector/Galaxy/Universe mod not being out for .6a yet, I've decided to make my own little personal "sector" containing a variety of mods.  The mods are as follows:

Spoiler
Bushi
Hiigaran Descendants
Junk Pirates
LazyLib
Neutrino Corp
Shadowyards
The Gedune
Zorg
And a small mod of my own that just changes some vanilla variables (annihilators are too slow!   >:( )
[close]

At first, it was okayish.  But after a while, the time it takes to save or load a game takes ages.  It gets so bad during a game that it will simply fail to load the save game and I have to restart Starsector.

Now, I never tried so many mods myself in .54, I don't think.  But I did play UC, which added lots of factions.  However, none of them added systems (obviously), where I now have many of them.

So, I ask you: is this just to be expected, and I have too many mods?  Could any one of the mods be responsible for slow down, memory problems or save bloat?  (My save file is 175 mb, I don't think that's standard).  Is this just the game being unoptimized, and/or systems causing issues?  And the most dire question of all: will this affect Uomoz's Sector?   :-X

I'd like it if someone could test a similar setup and seeing if they experience problems as well.

And just because I know it'll be asked, I have a fairly decent (if old) gaming rig:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16ghz
Radeon HD4890 1gb
4gb DDR2 800 Ram

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: .6a Modding - Save/load time slowdown?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 11:59:31 PM »

Sounds like at least one of those has a big that is causing it to either:

a)  Save way too much to the save file,  usually by keeping references to something that should not be kept.
b)  Save a new copy of all its data on every game load.

I had both those problems with Tradewinds earlier - fixed now, but easy to do by accident, and it pushed my save up to 112mb and refused to load it :)

A vanilla save is about 4mb at first,  for reference.  If you care to dig through the xml,  you can probably find out where the problem is,  but you might do better just testing each mod in isolation.

Maniaks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »

I have same issue.
Mods in use that i share with you:

-Hiigaran Descendants
-Junk Pirates
-Neutrino Corp
-Shadowyards
-The Gedune

However after checking each mod separately, i found no problems with slow saves.
Another observation: with all mods enabled game runs at 20-30 fps. Without mods or with just 1 mod enabled it's steady 50-60.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 05:03:04 AM »

will this affect Uomoz's Sector?

Can't really be sure about it! In the DEV, I use a completely custom fleet spawner and it doesn't use the standard files from mods. It unifies all spawns under one generalized script. I find it a "lighter" solution but only time will tell if it's actually better.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »

I have same issue.
Mods in use that i share with you:

-Hiigaran Descendants
-Junk Pirates
-Neutrino Corp
-Shadowyards
-The Gedune

However after checking each mod separately, i found no problems with slow saves.
Another observation: with all mods enabled game runs at 20-30 fps. Without mods or with just 1 mod enabled it's steady 50-60.

This doesn't really affect my FPS, just the load times.  Then again, my PC is fairly powerful, so that's not entirely surprising.

will this affect Uomoz's Sector?

Can't really be sure about it! In the DEV, I use a completely custom fleet spawner and it doesn't use the standard files from mods. It unifies all spawns under one generalized script. I find it a "lighter" solution but only time will tell if it's actually better.

I figured being a specific mod compilation that you'd be able to implement optimizations.  Problem is, we don't know why this specific issue occurs, so those optimizations may very well be for naught.

That said, if you want someone with this issue to playtest for you to see if it crops up, you know where to find me.   :)

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:01 PM »

Number of systems in the sector currently has a pretty big effect on save game size. Most of those mods add extra systems, resulting in a larger save game size.

If you increase the max memory allocated to StarSector it should help you out with large saves.

See http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5310.0 for some things to check/change.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:57:02 PM »

Also, if there aren't any bugs in the mentioned mods, you may wish to turn on savegame compression via settings.json. If anything, that'll speed up the save/load times greatly.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

I looked through my campaign.xml, but couldn't find anything that stuck out as egregious.  It might've been Kadur Theocracy, but I can't be certain.

Also, if there aren't any bugs in the mentioned mods, you may wish to turn on savegame compression via settings.json. If anything, that'll speed up the save/load times greatly.

What if they do have bugs that I haven't found?  What effect will compression have?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »

What if they do have bugs that I haven't found?  What effect will compression have?

It'll still help, but if there's something that causes the save file to grow all the time (such as, say, accidentally adding duplicate star systems on game load), it'll just have a delaying effect.

silentstormpt

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 01:25:30 PM »

Number of systems in the sector currently has a pretty big effect on save game size. Most of those mods add extra systems, resulting in a larger save game size.

If you increase the max memory allocated to StarSector it should help you out with large saves.

See http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=5310.0 for some things to check/change.

500+ star systems on SC2, lets see how many MBs will the save file have (even tho 95% wont have anything besides the planets, asteroids and the star)

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 01:31:31 PM »

It'll still help, but if there's something that causes the save file to grow all the time (such as, say, accidentally adding duplicate star systems on game load), it'll just have a delaying effect.

Actually, now that I think about it, that may be the case.  Junk Pirate's Breh'renni has tons of duplicate gravity wells for some reason.  At first I thought it was deliberate, but now I'm not too sure.  Mulitple Fringes and such too.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »

Actually, now that I think about it, that may be the case.  Junk Pirate's Breh'renni has tons of duplicate gravity wells for some reason.  At first I thought it was deliberate, but now I'm not too sure.  Mulitple Fringes and such too.

Yeah, multiple fringes are a giveaway that the system generation code is running many times. So are super-bright-looking jump points in hyperspace - means there are many instance of the "same" point rendered in one place.