Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Combat Readiness : how is the bonus applied?  (Read 18519 times)

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Readiness : how is the bonus applied?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:42:10 PM »

I like how this sounds.

I'm a little concerned having surplus crew is going to be even more detrimental now though. Lately i've been running at 12 to 25 extra crew members (depending on what size the majority of my ships are). Any more and it drains the LR too much to have more ships in your fleet too greatly.

Does the automated repair mod still make the ship cost 50% more?
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 06:44:58 PM »

Ships have a base (hull size based) repair rate instead.

Frigate vs. Cruiser hull size, or is it more based on "tonnage"? I guess what I'm asking is: would a Dominator take longer to repair from disabled to mint than an Eagle?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 06:48:41 PM »

I like these changes.  I noticed that a lot of modmakers have no idea how to balance "supplies to fully repair", so this will help as well.

Logistics rating now provides a bonus/penalty to the repair rate, in addition to the standard max CR penalty. Also provides a slight bonus to max CR. "Fleet Repairs" now increase the repair rate. "Automated Repair Unit" also increase the repair rate.

I just hope the Automated Repair Unit doesn't drive up supplies/day in a way that penalizes your overall logistics rating, since it's almost never worth sacrificing fleet size in addition to OP to have faster repairs.

3) If a ship is NOT recovering CR or performing repairs, the supply cost is 0. (Never liked the 10% rule much, anyway.) Doubled crew supply use instead.

Ouch.  This doesn't affect frigates much but capital ships?  An onslaught just went from 20 LR to 25 LR.  Now that half crew requirement perk is even more essential because rather than just increasing fleet size by ~20% it will be over 30%.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 06:56:39 PM »

Frigate vs Cruiser, yeah. So a Dominator and an Eagle would take the same amount of time to repair the same amount of damage.

That's part of the reason the exact values are only exposed indirectly, to hopefully deflect the player from that kind of analysis. The "days to repair" number will pretty much always be different just due to the damage variance.

I just hope the Automated Repair Unit doesn't drive up supplies/day in a way that penalizes your overall logistics rating, since it's almost never worth sacrificing fleet size in addition to OP to have faster repairs.

It still does. It kind of has to, since otherwise it effectively reduces the cost to deploy a ship, by a lot. I think it could still be worth it in some scenarios; but, all in all, not aiming for perfect balance with that right now.

Ouch.  This doesn't affect frigates much but capital ships?  An onslaught just went from 20 LR to 25 LR.  Now that half crew requirement perk is even more essential because rather than just increasing fleet size by ~20% it will be over 30%.

Yeah, that's true. It's tricky to balance, going to take a look at that specifically during playtesting.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »

Ooops, missed this!

I'm a little concerned having surplus crew is going to be even more detrimental now though. Lately i've been running at 12 to 25 extra crew members (depending on what size the majority of my ships are). Any more and it drains the LR too much to have more ships in your fleet too greatly.

Right, will keep this in mind. Might tune down the logistics costs somewhat, or might turn up the starting logistics.

Does the automated repair mod still make the ship cost 50% more?

Yeah, still does. But hey, still a buff compared to how it was.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »

1) Removed "emergency repairs" and LR providing a supply repair bonus. Ships have a base (hull size based) repair rate instead. This rate is hidden; the UI shows how many days are left instead of what % is being gained per day.
Logistics rating now provides a bonus/penalty to the repair rate, in addition to the standard max CR penalty. Also provides a slight bonus to max CR. "Fleet Repairs" now increase the repair rate. "Automated Repair Unit" also increase the repair rate.
What is the difference between these two? Does CR now regen faster?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 07:10:24 PM »

Sorry, I meant "Field Repairs", not "Fleet Repairs".

CR doesn't regen faster. The difference is that ships will now perform repairs independently of each other.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 07:26:09 PM »

To me, I can't see a difference between this and "emergency repairs" except that ships repair independently of each other and there is another penalty for going below 100 percent LR.
Speaking of penalty, how big is the penalty to repair speed? is it going to be based off of the percentage?  Are players no longer be able to repair at 0 LR? Will that apply to CR regen as well?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 07:53:01 PM »

Ah - this is a partial buff to low tech ships because the repairs happening at the same time as CR regen are effectively free! It is also take a little corner off the learning curve as minor ship damage is not punished. I like the simplifications.

On a completely unrelated note, the gap in posts was 3 hours over exactly 1 year. Both creepy and also confused me for a bit.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »

To me, I can't see a difference between this and "emergency repairs" except that ships repair independently of each other and there is another penalty for going below 100 percent LR.

Well, it's that, and a couple of related changes, which I think add up to something significant.

Speaking of penalty, how big is the penalty to repair speed? is it going to be based off of the percentage?  Are players no longer be able to repair at 0 LR? Will that apply to CR regen as well?

+-50%. Doesn't apply to CR regen.

Ah - this is a partial buff to low tech ships because the repairs happening at the same time as CR regen are effectively free! It is also take a little corner off the learning curve as minor ship damage is not punished. I like the simplifications.

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it in terms of favoring certain ship types slightly, but that does make sense. And seems good, since taking damage for armor-reliant ships was a bit of a balance issue!

As far as the learning curve, I think it's also more natural - the old mechanic really had to be explained, where now it's just "yep, ships take damage and then take some time to be repaired", and you really don't need to dig any deeper than that to be able to play.

On a completely unrelated note, the gap in posts was 3 hours over exactly 1 year. Both creepy and also confused me for a bit.

Oh, wow. That's a very slick thread necro, if I do say so myself :D

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 08:23:14 PM »

Doubled crew supply use instead.
Does this include marines, or only regular crew?

I also agree with the expressed concern over the increased crew cost and its implications for balance between the various ship types.

Ships have a base (hull size based) repair rate instead. This rate is hidden; the UI shows how many days are left instead of what % is being gained per day.
I personally kind of like having some ships which are easier (and thus faster) to repair than others, but this doesn't sound bad, either.

It still does. It kind of has to, since otherwise it effectively reduces the cost to deploy a ship, by a lot. I think it could still be worth it in some scenarios; but, all in all, not aiming for perfect balance with that right now.
Personally, I think it would be better if the Automated Repair Unit did not touch the logistics cost, but did impact the cost of CR regeneration, so that the repairs are completed more rapidly but at the same (or a slightly increased) cost. However, that's essentially all that the logistics rating of the ship is, now, so I guess that's how it will be for the time being. It might also help if the Automated Repair Unit were to reduce the time required to complete hull repairs, especially since the logistics cost is now to be associated with a ship's hull repair cost (if it already does this, sorry; I didn't see it mentioned in the description).

2) If a ship is either recovering CR or performing repairs, it'll consume its full logistics rating worth of supplies. So, repairs still cost supplies in this way, but a lot less and more gradually. Removed "supplies to fully repair" stat from ships.
3) If a ship is NOT recovering CR or performing repairs, the supply cost is 0. (Never liked the 10% rule much, anyway.) Doubled crew supply use instead.
I notice that this has impacted the ongoing costs for keeping certain types of ships in your fleet in a way that largely favors fighters and frigates. In particular, I notice that frigates and fighters are generally cheaper to keep in your fleet than they were, whereas cruisers and capital ships are generally more expensive. Note that I'm referring to the ongoing costs, i.e. the supplies that are used by the ship and its crew every day when at full hull strength and combat readiness. On average, frigates are 0.7 (at minimum crew) to 1.1 (at maximum crew) times as expensive to maintain in your fleet, destroyers are 0.94 to 1.25 times more expensive to maintain in your fleet, cruisers are 1.17 to 1.48 times more expensive, and capital ships are 1.28 to 1.56 times more expensive (these are averages across the types; I made no distinction between civilian and military, nor did I give any weighting to how likely one kind of vessel is to be used over another kind, nor did I consider the ability to halve the minimum crew requirement). Fighters average roughly 4.8 times cheaper to keep in your fleet if you don't count spare pilots as part of their cost and instead fold that cost under the cost of the carrier or other ships in the fleet.

While it would not appear from the information given that the deployment cost of a ship has not changed significantly (although it would appear that the cost of suffering damage to a deployed ship may have changed significantly, especially if hull repairs + CR recovery costs the same as just one or the other), that the ongoing costs have changed in this manner further emphasizes the use of lighter ships. I don't necessarily consider this a bad thing, but it's something to keep an eye on, especially with regards to how it affects the relative costs within each class. For example, at minimum crew, the Hyperion has become the cheapest combat frigate (tied with the Afflictor) to have in your fleet, while at maximum crew it is tied with the Shade for second-cheapest (Afflictor became the cheapest); formerly, the Hyperion had been about average in maintenance costs. I don't know if this sort of thing is intentional or not, but thought that I should probably mention it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:25:34 PM by Aeson »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 08:50:08 PM »

A few more questions for you: One: Do high, mid and low tech ships all repair at the same rate or is it different?
Two: Are those values changeable?
Three: If I am reading this right, 150% LR is needed for the maximum repair speed boost. If this is true then what about the extra percentage beyond that? Is it wasted?
Four: How fast is the "new" repair speed versus the old one at 150% LR?
Five: You know that the increase in crew supply useage will also use more LR then what it is now, right? With these changes, Leadership WILL be required to be able to use ANY combat cap ship
Examples: Conquest and Odyssey were 19 logistic point ships. Now they are 23
Onslaught: Up to 25, from 20
Paragon: Up to 29!, from 24.5
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:01:15 PM by Midnight Kitsune »

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »

Right, will keep this in mind. Might tune down the logistics costs somewhat, or might turn up the starting logistics.

How about reduced costs for surplus crew? Also easy to justify as suspended animation from lore point of view.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 09:09:20 PM »

@Midnight: Concerning #1
Frigate vs Cruiser, yeah. So a Dominator and an Eagle would take the same amount of time to repair the same amount of damage.

@Alex: I share some of the concerns mentioned here, but overall it seems like the pros of these changes would easily outweigh the cons.

It'd just be a little weird for "suspend repairs" to conceptually encompass things like "treating injured crew".
May I suggest "Suspend Maintenance?" It's equally applicable to both armor and CR recovery without bringing to mind neglected infirmary patients.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »

Does this include marines, or only regular crew?

I also agree with the expressed concern over the increased crew cost and its implications for balance between the various ship types.

Marines are the same as before, and also the same as crew now. And yeah, something to keep an eye on.

Personally, I think it would be better if the Automated Repair Unit did not touch the logistics cost, but did impact the cost of CR regeneration, so that the repairs are completed more rapidly but at the same (or a slightly increased) cost. However, that's essentially all that the logistics rating of the ship is, now, so I guess that's how it will be for the time being. It might also help if the Automated Repair Unit were to reduce the time required to complete hull repairs, especially since the logistics cost is now to be associated with a ship's hull repair cost (if it already does this, sorry; I didn't see it mentioned in the description).

Right. And yeah, it now sports a 50% increase in hull/armor repair rate.

2) If a ship is either recovering CR or performing repairs, it'll consume its full logistics rating worth of supplies. So, repairs still cost supplies in this way, but a lot less and more gradually. Removed "supplies to fully repair" stat from ships.
I notice that this has impacted the ongoing costs for keeping certain types of ships in your fleet in a way that largely favors fighters and frigates. In particular, I notice that frigates and fighters are generally cheaper to keep in your fleet than they were, whereas cruisers and capital ships are generally more expensive. Note that I'm referring to the ongoing costs, i.e. the supplies that are used by the ship and its crew every day when at full hull strength and combat readiness. On average, frigates are 0.7 (at minimum crew) to 1.1 (at maximum crew) times as expensive to maintain in your fleet, destroyers are 0.94 to 1.25 times more expensive to maintain in your fleet, cruisers are 1.17 to 1.48 times more expensive, and capital ships are 1.28 to 1.56 times more expensive (these are averages across the types; I made no distinction between civilian and military, nor did I give any weighting to how likely one kind of vessel is to be used over another kind, nor did I consider the ability to halve the minimum crew requirement). Fighters average roughly 4.8 times cheaper to keep in your fleet if you don't count spare pilots as part of their cost and instead fold that cost under the cost of the carrier or other ships in the fleet.

While it would not appear from the information given that the deployment cost of a ship has not changed significantly (although it would appear that the cost of suffering damage to a deployed ship may have changed significantly, especially if hull repairs + CR recovery costs the same as just one or the other), that the ongoing costs have changed in this manner further emphasizes the use of lighter ships. I don't necessarily consider this a bad thing, but it's something to keep an eye on, especially with regards to how it affects the relative costs within each class. For example, at minimum crew, the Hyperion has become the cheapest combat frigate (tied with the Afflictor) to have in your fleet, while at maximum crew it is tied with the Shade for second-cheapest (Afflictor became the cheapest); formerly, the Hyperion had been about average in maintenance costs. I don't know if this sort of thing is intentional or not, but thought that I should probably mention it.

Hmm. If I'm going the math right, an Onslaught now costs 10 supplies/day, where before it would cost 1.5 + 5 = 6.5. Right... yeah, this may be a bit extreme, but let's look at the relative costs of maintenance vs deployment.

A typical frigate might cost 0.4 supplies/day for 20 crew, and ~2 supplies to recover from deployment - a 1 to 5 ratio.
The Onslaught costs 10 supplies/day for 500 crew, and 90 supplies to recover from deployment - a 1 to 9 ratio.

So, interestingly - if the deployment cost is representative of the combat power - then capital ships are still cheaper to maintain, for the same combat capability. But then, that'll hold regardless of what the crew upkeep multiplier is, so I suppose it doesn't really factor in. The more salient point is that the deployment cost dwarfs the crew upkeep for larger ships.

Really, I don't know that this was balanced enough in the first place to where a multiplier of 1.5 or so is going to break things as opposed to just change them. It's still good to keep track of, though, and I appreciate the analysis. Wasn't thinking of it affecting capital ships as much as it does; most of the testing was with cruisers and below, where the values just aren't all that noticeable.

A few more questions for you: One: Do high, mid and low tech ships all repair at the same rate or is it different?
Two: Are those values changeable?

Same, it only depends on size. Changeable, in settings.json, but only per-size, not per-ship. If you wan to change it per-ship (say, add a modded ship that repairs really quickly) a built-in hullmod would be the way to go.

Three: If I am reading this right, 150% LR is needed for the maximum repair speed boost. If this is true then what about the extra percentage beyond that? Is it wasted?

It caps out at 150%, yeah, and the rest is wasted.

Four: How fast is the "new" repair speed versus the old one at 150% LR?

It's an apples and oranges comparison, I really can't say. In the old system, you might be able to fully repair a frigate in under a day, if you had sufficient logistics. Now, it'd take 5-6 days or so, with high LR, but it'd also take 5-6 days to repair 10 frigates at once, since they're all doing it independently.

@Alex: I share some of the concerns mentioned here, but overall it seems like the pros of these changes would easily outweigh the cons.

Same, right. The good thing is those concerns seem to, so far, all be addressable by changing numbers around (crew reqs, crew upkeep mult, etc) rather than being a problem with the new system.

It'd just be a little weird for "suspend repairs" to conceptually encompass things like "treating injured crew".
May I suggest "Suspend Maintenance?" It's equally applicable to both armor and CR recovery without bringing to mind neglected infirmary patients.

Hmm. "Repairs" is crucially shorter than "maintenance" for one UI element. Also: I'm not entirely sure that "maintenance" as applied to crew is any better than "repairs", as both bring to mind androids :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5