Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Enemy Fleet Doesn't Feel Defeated [0.6a RC4]  (Read 4293 times)

Trylobot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Enemy Fleet Doesn't Feel Defeated [0.6a RC4]
« on: September 15, 2013, 11:53:08 AM »

Alex, had a weird thing happen just now that I'm pretty sure is a bug. I attacked a Pirate Plunder fleet with my fleet, because although I had fewer ships, most of the plunder fleet was not combat ready. I'm guessing they ran out of supplies or something. Their battlecruiser and most of their big ships were marked not combat ready.

Anyway when I attacked the first round, they did not choose to run, they chose to engage. I didn't think that was too strange, the fleets were both pretty powerful. So whatever, we go through that whole song and dance, he's got mostly destroyers only that battle though.. it was pretty one-sided.

The second round, literally the only combat ready ship is a single hound, who retreated from round 1. I've still got my whole fleet. I expected him to run, and for me to have to pursue all of his freighters and so on... but he decided to engage. That was when I first thought to myself, "Hmm. Odd." But I went ahead and took out his hound. Whatever.

Round 3.. .was when it started getting a little ridiculous. The enemy chose to engage, deployed zero ships, was immediately defeated as soon as I deployed my first ship, and then back to the battle dialog menu again. I did it twice more just to be sure. So rounds 4 and 5, identical to round 3; enemy wants to fight, zero ships deployed, immediate defeat. I'm losing CR gradually but really only one of my ships has dropped completely to 0%, so I'm still very much ahead.

Ultimately, although I chose to salvage after every victory, I didn't get to actually claim any salvage rights because the enemy simply refused to leave. I had to let him go. So he did.

My theory on why this all happened? The enemy fleet never "felt" defeated. It probably evaluated its tactical probability of winning based solely on fleet composition, without factoring in CR as it applies to how many ships you can actually field in the next fight. If true, the obvious suggestion is to ignore non-combat ready ships in fleets when it comes to making judgements of power.

Edit: I should note that the reason why that's my theory, is that because if you look at their total fleet composition and ignore CR, they had twice as many cruisers and destroyers as me and would probably have kicked my ass.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 12:11:22 PM by Trylobot »

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy Fleet Doesn't Feel Defeated [0.6a RC4]
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »

I believe he said it's because of fleet size not letting them disengage. Also if you choose harry their forces after each round they'll eventually hit a point where they have to retreat at which point you can do the pursue phase like normal

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:37:56 PM »

Yeah, it's just that the fleet is large enough so it can't all be deployed in an escape scenario, so it decides to fight based on that. And the admiral AI decides that fighting is a really bad idea and retreats right away. And then it repeats. Will definitely fix that up - a combination of not counting mothballed ships against the deployment cost and telling the admiral AI to send out some civ ships to fight, in the worst case.

Trylobot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 02:24:17 PM »

Ah! Glad you were able to make use of the infos. Cheers mate

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 06:53:34 PM »

if you kept going it would eventually end up where the pirate fleet has no combat ready ships and when you go to claim your plunder the game will crash.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:51:22 PM »

Same thing happening to me, I have a save but it's too large to attach (280k).

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 10:03:19 AM »

Thinking about it now, my case I'm pretty sure is caused by the following:

• All fighters are destroyed
  • There are a handfull of carriers that still have supply (but are just the support destroyer carrier)
  • Other combat ships are either destroyed or out of supplies

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

Right, this shows up when the enemy fleet only has civilian ships - freighters and the like - remaining.

Stromko

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 08:48:36 PM »

Ah, came here to report the same issue, keeps happening with a pirate plunder fleet no matter what I do. Very irritating, but at least I got a lot of XP from the first fight even if it's impossible right now to actually loot the plunder fleet.

Well I'm glad Alex is aware of it I'm sure he'll fix it when he can.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 08:53:37 PM »

Yeah, I've run into this over and over.  Really annoying; I want the satisfaction of finally creaming them after wearing them down, but no.  Glad to see that's getting fixed :)
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:12:13 PM »

if you loot the first fight then send in one ship for each subsequent engagement and harry after they immediately leave you'll run them down into pursuit phase after four or five harries and still get the loot from all the ships you've killed

TheKillerWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:43:58 AM »

issue im having is that early on it makes civ ships imp to take as i only have one ship and my deploy cost =/= how much they get harrassed down. i run out of cr before they do even from full

frag971

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:52 AM »

Same here, all late-game fights are like this:

1. Engage enemy fleet
2. Start battle, enemy doesn't deploy anything, i win the fight.
3. Harry enemy
4. Repeat point 2 and 3
5. Repeat point 2 and 3
5. Repeat point 2 and 3
6. Pursue, i kill everything, hounds and fighters escape.
7. "Let them go", salvage everything, blow up any "captured" ships since it ain't worth risking ships, not to mention marines are just too much of a supply drain.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:03:41 AM by frag971 »
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:22 AM »

Fixed for 0.6.1a.