Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A ccg.  (Read 7013 times)

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
Re: A ccg.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2013, 01:35:08 PM »

Honestly, where is the point in making a Sector cardgame if fans a spread so thin that they are most unlikely to ever meet in real life? Who would play it?

Mh... if you really want to make a card game and have the time and skills required, how about this:
Make it a game that we can play here in the forum, with card pictures. We had a PvP thread and some roleplaying threads going, it could work in a similar fashion. You just need a central place to keep track of who owns which cards, so nobody cheats. Then you give every new player a starter deck and the chance to win new cards in battle. Could be fun.

Now this, seems like a great idea.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »

the idea overall of a card game is really good tho, following my idea and the website i linked at first, making a starship themed card game for me and my buddies could be something really fun.

ill have to delve into this deeper.

p.s.: if ever alex read this, he mentionned a commercial use was out of question. if its only for me and my few buddies who will play it, could i still get alex benediction to use starsector assets ?

(i hope what im intending wont be misunderstood)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »

@Tlee_3205: I don't quite understand your original intent. I'm afraid your followup didn't make it any clearer :)

@Gothars: That... actually sounds like a lot of fun.

p.s.: if ever alex read this, he mentionned a commercial use was out of question. if its only for me and my few buddies who will play it, could i still get alex benediction to use starsector assets ?

Here's the thing. In theory, I have absolutely no problem with you and a few friends doing this. In practice, if you look at the TOS for that website you linked, it has the usual stuff where the uploader grants them certain rights to the content they upload - such as for use in their marketing and advertising, etc. Which is problematic if you don't have rights to that content in the first place. So, at the very least, you'd be breaking their TOS, and (admittedly, that's a long shot) could get into some trouble, or (again, long shot) create some trouble for me.

... IANAL and all that.

Tlee3205

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 03:58:36 PM »

??? Well you can make a online ccg, and/or play it on the forums. I think thats a good idea. My original intent was to design a card game.. I was looking for suggestions and figured I would get to how to play it when it was designed.

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 01:19:40 PM »

@Tlee_3205: I don't quite understand your original intent. I'm afraid your followup didn't make it any clearer :)

@Gothars: That... actually sounds like a lot of fun.

Here's the thing. In theory, I have absolutely no problem with you and a few friends doing this. In practice, if you look at the TOS for that website you linked, it has the usual stuff where the uploader grants them certain rights to the content they upload - such as for use in their marketing and advertising, etc. Which is problematic if you don't have rights to that content in the first place. So, at the very least, you'd be breaking their TOS, and (admittedly, that's a long shot) could get into some trouble, or (again, long shot) create some trouble for me.

... IANAL and all that.

Oh, damn, i didint saw that. well that answers the question pretty clearly.
Im a ressourceful guy tho, i know i can figure out something without using starsector assets.
I'll just mention it would have been something really cool to do  ;D

mostmodest

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 05:58:20 AM »

So, Gothars, I'm going to expand on your idea of setting up a thread for the ccg and suggest a sub-board on the discussions forum for various "games", if I may.
Basically, this sub-board would be for the RPs and whatever else we could come up with, including this ccg. The ccg could involve a player PMing another player with a "battle request", the other player replies with an acceptance message and then a thread is made for their battle. Only 2 people can be involved in a battle, and other people who troll the gameplay by joining the battle uninvited will have a "refuse duel" state on them, meaning that they cannot accept/initiate duels for a period of time as determined by the moderator.

OT:
I love the sound of this. A ccg of Starsector would be great, and it's a bit of a shame it won't be commercial, but I can always play it on here once it gets made.
A question I have is how the "combat" will be conducted. Is it a simple matter of "damage = ATK - DEF", or is there going to be a more complicated style of
hit chance = weapon accuracy - dodge chance;
damage = weapon attack - ship defense;
missile hit chance = missile targeting - (dodge chance + PD);
etc.

Also, I think each turn should give the player an empty flux bar, assuming they didn't overload last turn. An overload would result in a delay of 1 turn while the ship vents, and the only stats that are effective are dodge chance and speed.
Each time a player posts in the duel thread (probably named Challenger Vs. Challenged, i.e "Mostmodest Vs. Phyrex"), they post all of their deployed cards according to the spoiler below, along with any status problems such as overload and disabled weapons.

Spoiler
[ship card] (ship status) [weapon cards] (weapons' statuses) [hullmod cards]
i.e: [Hound] (23HP, engines online) [Thumper] (Online) [Light Dual MG] (Online) [Improved Thrusters]
[close]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:00:30 AM by mostmodest »
Yes, you are reading to far into this.

Axiege

• Admiral
  • What a brave and loving name.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »

I think there is an inherent problem with dice rolls in a competitive game in a setting like this. Who rolls the dice? How do we ensure fair play? (Perhaps a 3rd party moderates the game? It may be better to eliminate dice rolling as much as possible so you don't have even more people to wait on.)

And how would a drawing mechanism work? That is essentially another dice roll. I think, for this to be a fun thing, it will have to be a far cry from a traditional card game because of forum limitations.
Pages: 1 [2]