Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Missile Cam  (Read 1563 times)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Missile Cam
« on: July 09, 2013, 10:04:01 PM »

In case some people don't know what it is and to avoid potential misunderstanding over what I'm proposing, missile cam or camera is a function where your camera follows the missile. It's like targeting an enemy ship with "r" and then pressing "z" to have the camera follow the enemy ship around.

There are some issues with this and I will lay out possible ways of dealing with them.

The first one is that of abuse.
Shooting a missile to the other end of the field just as the battle is beginning and then using missile cam to follow it and see what the enemy brought and what they're heading for might make it such that the fog of war losses some of its reasons to exist. After all, the opening moves are where the unknowns of combat have the most consequences, and if it could be circumvented by simply shooting a missile into a dark area and revealing everything there, it would either require that fog of war be lifted or some pretty extensive rewrite of the code.
One thing you could do is to fix the camera very close in so that not much would be revealed and the only thing worth seeing would be the close up of the PD fire and the explosion as the missile hits the ship.
Another way could be just disabling the missile cam whenever it gets too close to the fog of war.

The second issue is one of player designation. If the player shoots more than one missile, how would the computer know which one the player wants the camera to tracked? If the player primarily mans a missile boat with maxed out missile skill and sits near the back for most of the battle like what I do sometimes and I loose a lot of missiles sometimes at multiple targets, finding out which missile I want to watch hit its target might take a long time, and I might miss the cinematic approach as it bests PD defences and slams into the enemy hull. I could pause the game and select the one I want, but doing so halts the momentum of the game and takes away from the immersion the battle might otherwise be projecting.
There are many ways of dealing with tracking the number of missiles, but one I'm currently favoring is using the mouse wheel to track multiple missiles. Instead of assigning a massive amount of keys or using one or two keys to cycle through the missiles, holding down alt or something and then rolling the mouse wheel seems to be the quickest and relatively precise way of finding the missile you want to track.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
Re: Missile Cam
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:58:03 PM »

not sure what the use of this is... it would be cool but I don't think it'll add much to the game
mmm.... tartiflette

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 11:59:44 PM »

Yeah, something to put way down the list of priorities. Still be pretty neat though.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 06:44:02 PM »

The first one is that of abuse.
Shooting a missile to the other end of the field just as the battle is beginning and then using missile cam to follow it and see what the enemy brought and what they're heading for might make it such that the fog of war losses some of its reasons to exist. After all, the opening moves are where the unknowns of combat have the most consequences, and if it could be circumvented by simply shooting a missile into a dark area and revealing everything there, it would either require that fog of war be lifted or some pretty extensive rewrite of the code.
One thing you could do is to fix the camera very close in so that not much would be revealed and the only thing worth seeing would be the close up of the PD fire and the explosion as the missile hits the ship.
Another way could be just disabling the missile cam whenever it gets too close to the fog of war.

The second issue is one of player designation. If the player shoots more than one missile, how would the computer know which one the player wants the camera to tracked? If the player primarily mans a missile boat with maxed out missile skill and sits near the back for most of the battle like what I do sometimes and I loose a lot of missiles sometimes at multiple targets, finding out which missile I want to watch hit its target might take a long time, and I might miss the cinematic approach as it bests PD defences and slams into the enemy hull. I could pause the game and select the one I want, but doing so halts the momentum of the game and takes away from the immersion the battle might otherwise be projecting.
There are many ways of dealing with tracking the number of missiles, but one I'm currently favoring is using the mouse wheel to track multiple missiles. Instead of assigning a massive amount of keys or using one or two keys to cycle through the missiles, holding down alt or something and then rolling the mouse wheel seems to be the quickest and relatively precise way of finding the missile you want to track.
Solutions:
@Paragraph1 This isn't a very big deal. Missiles' propulsion systems run out of fuel pretty quick. Camera deactivates when the missile runs out of fuel. You can make their fuel capacity lower to make up for this if you like.

@Paragraph2 You can only track one missile at a time. If you surrender control either by switching back to your ship or firing a second missile, it turns dumbfire.

Its a simple idea, but I don't think single player guided missiles would be very useful or fun.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.