Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Fighter Update  (Read 66057 times)

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fighter Update
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2013, 08:47:39 AM »

So was playing a carrier fleet for funsies and preperation for this patch and was reminded just how huge the changes are, haha. Stupid kiting frigates.  :)

For me, it's more important because occasionally the Fighter and Bomber AI gets whole squads killed when it mysteriously decides that it would prefer to:

-Fly straight into an enemy's main guns, emptying all of their High Explosive ordinance into the enemy's 0-flux shields and dying instead of doing anything useful (Pirahanas are bad about this)
-Do the above, but with shields active so they get overloaded and can't even fire their ordinance (Tritons and Daggers are pros at this)
-Ignore how slow they are and end up floating in the middle of space, alone, being picked off by enemy missiles (This is a favorite of Warthogs and Mining Drones)
-Fire incredibly piddly weapons against a Flak-loaded side of an enemy capital ship (The preferred tactic of Wasps and Talons)
-Chase and be kited to death by Frigates with longer-ranged weapons (Broadswords and Gladius' are bad about this)

Having them be PERMANENTLY destroyed because of an AI oversight like they currently are is incredibly harsh and it'll be nice to have them still be alive after the battle even if they did go omega-level stupid and get killed.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 09, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »

So was playing a carrier fleet for funsies and preperation for this patch and was reminded just how huge the changes are, haha. Stupid kiting frigates.  :)

For me, it's more important because occasionally the Fighter and Bomber AI gets whole squads killed when it mysteriously decides that it would prefer to:

-Fly straight into an enemy's main guns, emptying all of their High Explosive ordinance into the enemy's 0-flux shields and dying instead of doing anything useful (Pirahanas are bad about this)
-Do the above, but with shields active so they get overloaded and can't even fire their ordinance (Tritons and Daggers are pros at this)
-Ignore how slow they are and end up floating in the middle of space, alone, being picked off by enemy missiles (This is a favorite of Warthogs and Mining Drones)
-Fire incredibly piddly weapons against a Flak-loaded side of an enemy capital ship (The preferred tactic of Wasps and Talons)
-Chase and be kited to death by Frigates with longer-ranged weapons (Broadswords and Gladius' are bad about this)
Made me giggle. Not sure if that was intended, but it did.  :P

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2013, 09:57:10 AM »

Made me giggle. Not sure if that was intended, but it did.  :P

You should try playing a fighter-centered fleet.  You get to see some hilariously stupid stuff from your fighters.

I forgot to mention that in a tightly-packed battle, I've actually had my Dagger Torpedo Bombers and Pirhana Bombers KILL FRIENDLY SHIPS with missed shots.

I about fell out of my chair laughing when I watched a Falcon activate it's maneuvering jets and completely sidestep a hail of bombs that wrecked a total of 3 friendly frigates and a friendly destroyer.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

Fighters do dumb things... especially wasps lol. They sometimes do brilliant things though - I just watched a dagger wing miss 2/3 of its run against a Medusa, only to have the 3rd release its torpedo over it on the unshielded side. Goodbye Medusa.

At the moment Piranhas can't hit anything short of an Onslaught or Paragon. :P

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2013, 06:32:40 PM »

That's assuming the Piranhas get close enough to an Onslaught to start dropping their payload. That's also assuming the Onslaught's PD doesn't just completely deny the Piranhas bombing attempts.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2013, 08:31:00 PM »

That's assuming the Piranhas get close enough to an Onslaught to start dropping their payload. That's also assuming the Onslaught's PD doesn't just completely deny the Piranhas bombing attempts.

They're fond of running into the MAIN GUNS instead of going for the unshielded backside, so their lifespan is pretty much nil.

L33tGuilty

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2013, 01:22:57 PM »

Ive been patiently waiting and refreshing every single day for last 3 months for an update ... yes this is another of those posts ... can you give us a proximatry deadline when next patch comes out so i can be a bit more oriented about it?? :)

thx

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

The post of Nanostrike made me giggles ,too :)
but well it´s true.

can´t wait for this update ... time to play a dedicated carrier with dozens of fighter wings ...( and supplies and crew )

L33tGuilty : Oh OH ... let me say it ... .I know it ... it´s *tada* Soon™ ...  ;D

Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 11, 2013, 01:31:30 PM »

While discussing PD is completely off-topic, this comes up a fair bit, and there's a common misconception I want to clear up.

I think directly comparing energy and ballistic PD doesn't make sense - they don't generally compete for the same slots, or for the role of PD on the same ships. If you want to make an argument that energy PD is weak, that's potentially valid, though it should take into account the inherent properties of the ships it's usually found on. But if you want to argue that energy PD is weaker than flak, my response is "right, working as intended".

I suppose the real balance we need to discuss is the other small and medium stuff vs the PD. For example med burst PD is pretty much useless when you could have a real med energy weapon, and the smaller pd is usually less desirable than other small weps, if they face the right direction. If their range was extended a little it would increase their utility as both actual weapons and pd, probably balancing out a little.

BTW im still not sure i like that only frigates lose CR as battles drag on... I think it should be done more intuitivly, such as: All ships (maybe other than fighters) lose CR as the battle drags on, but bigger ships lose it slower, and frigates lose it the fastest.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2013, 03:45:05 PM »

I suppose the real balance we need to discuss is the other small and medium stuff vs the PD. For example med burst PD is pretty much useless when you could have a real med energy weapon, and the smaller pd is usually less desirable than other small weps, if they face the right direction. If their range was extended a little it would increase their utility as both actual weapons and pd, probably balancing out a little.
I have a few responses on thoughts about this... but it is pretty off-topic.  Maybe you should make a thread in the suggestions forum with what you think is currently wrong & how you'd suggest fixing it?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]