Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

KickStarter Campaign?

YES
NO

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: KickStarter Campaign!  (Read 12623 times)

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: KickStarter Campaign!
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 12:03:47 AM »

I'm working on the game full-time and will be for the foreseeable future.

Other considerations aside, I don't think taking a month away from development to run a KS campaign would do anything to speed up development :)

With regards to financial gains of indie game development, I'm just wondering is it enough to support yourself? How can one tell when it's time to focus all time on a single project? Or is this too personal for you to answer?
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 08:54:53 AM »

I think starsector would rise a ginormus amount of money for you of Fractalsoftwork. I mean, I know the KGB is already backing you, but more money is always good. Even at the price of some months wasted in PRs.
Love

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »

With regards to financial gains of indie game development, I'm just wondering is it enough to support yourself? How can one tell when it's time to focus all time on a single project? Or is this too personal for you to answer?

You can find the answer to that in the Dev Questions thread, too  :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Aethelric

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 01:27:01 AM »

Guys: if you want to give more money, give copies to friends. Give copies out free online in giveaways, if you don't have friends. This will manage both the exposure and the finance element of Kickstarter, without resorting to the administrative difficulties of a Kickstater campaign.

SeaBee

• Commander
  • The stars are ... alive and breathing
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 06:39:26 AM »

Guys: if you want to give more money, give copies to friends. Give copies out free online in giveaways, if you don't have friends. This will manage both the exposure and the finance element of Kickstarter, without resorting to the administrative difficulties of a Kickstater campaign.
This is a great idea, one that I've tried to promote in the past. It's a lot better than a donation for exactly those reasons -- generating some buzz and getting more eyes on the game.

Mattk50

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 04:31:41 AM »

You either go BIG or go home. I understand, BUT don't do merchandise then. Kickstarter only takes 5% cut & Amazon does 3-5% cut. I'd like to write more, but it seems this has already been settled...

5% of 100k is 5 thousand dollars. What did kickstarter even do to deserve you paying them? They have a website you can use, and they're just putting their name along side yours. A name that isn't even all that famous. Most kickstarter goals aren't achieved because of their vigorous advertisements or masses of people browsing their website looking to toss some money away. Successful fundings are done due to things outside outside of their website. Word of mouth on forums, and other game related sites telling people about a project they like.

On the topic of 5%. 5% is quite a bit cut when you experience this sort of thing in business, or are managing your own money, or a business' money. I have to pay a 2.5% surcharge on all visa cards, and an even higher one for people who want to use debit. Those businesses aren't putting signs up declaring that they won't take a card under a certain amount for no reason. At the end of the year when I compile accounts, or when I do my taxes, that 2.5% is not an insignificant chunk of money, especially when you look at the the yearly totals, let alone a whopping 5%. It might not be all that much when you're doing a thousand or two in sales, but when you are taking in ten or twenty times this amount, that 5% is pretty significant. 5% of a dollar won't buy anything, but 5% of 70k-100k will buy a whole lot. These card companies basically do nothing! They give you a card machine, and then do financial transactions with their software -that's it- They don't lay their own data line, some don't even provide the internet subscription for the card machines, and on top of this, charge that 2.5% on on top of the total with the tax factored into it already.

You're the one designing your own kickstarter page, you're the one fulfilling the rewards, and you're the one developing the product, and you are the most responsible person in making the deadline. That 50k or 80k isn't even their own money! If you have invoices to prove that your business is making money, just go to a bank and get a loan. Selling the beta, and having evidence of sales is a good way to do this.

the amount of financial ignorance as well as the lack of understanding the realities (however sad it may be) of marketing, exposure, and simply getting people to lay down money in this post is amusing.

And not just this post, the silly folks saying steam doesnt even deserve a 5% cut is even funnier. Its more like 30% of each sale, eat your heart out.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 05:01:11 AM »

the amount of financial ignorance as well as the lack of understanding the realities (however sad it may be) of marketing, exposure, and simply getting people to lay down money in this post is amusing.

And not just this post, the silly folks saying steam doesnt even deserve a 5% cut is even funnier. Its more like 30% of each sale, eat your heart out.

Which parts do you find most amusing?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Pelly

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 05:10:56 AM »

Yeah I don't see anything amusing there, especially as it is all real....... so why are you saying so??

Ads

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 12:20:47 AM »

Yeah I don't see anything amusing there, especially as it is all real....... so why are you saying so??

To say card companies do nothing is frankly laughable. They provide an infrastructure and most importantly customer security that allows transaction to occur.
They allow pretty much anybody in any country to buy your product and transfer fund quickly and securely. No they are not perfect but they provide an essential service. If you don't like the charge then simple - dont take credit cards as a payment mechanism... Nobody forcing you...

Now PayPal is different - more expensive for very little and as a merchant even less security or protection.

The thing to remember is that its a percentage - 2.5% isn't much all things considered. Take apple - 30% cut on the App Store there...

Now kickstarter... Whilst they don't directly 'do' anything they are no different to spending money on google Adwords. It's advertising plain and simple as you are trying to use their site as a basis for reaching customers that otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach.
Personally, 5% of a funded project is good value. Lets say you raise 100k in funding... So you pay 5k. Sorry, but if somebody said to me 'if you give me 5k I'll give you 95k back then I'd bite their arm off. For comparison purposes, throw 5k at google an see if that generates 100k of revenue... (Hint - it won't).

As with all things you need to balance everything else - the real problems with kickstarter are:
- expectation management. As soon as a project is funded people expect things now. Managing that is hard, time consuming and dull. Totally understand anybody wanting to avoid that.
- pledge freebies. All the different funding rewards cost money... So the 5% starts to get more and more expensive and again, need to be managed. Plenty of over subscribed projects struggle with the admin of all the gifts and rewards.

The key thing is money is great but it comes down to what you are going to do with it. Throwing money doesn't always make things faster or better. Sure can hire more devs but then they need to be managed and coordinated.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 06:20:43 AM »

Why can't this topic just be left to die? Why?

phyrex

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »

Why can't this topic just be left to die? Why?

just chime in gothars for a lock

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »

On the whole, my argument has been that you might as well make your own website if you're aiming high in the amount that you're looking to crowd fund. It might be worth it when you're trying to raise a few thousand dollars, it's just not worth it when you're trying to raise a hundred thousand or more. The cost of paying someone to make a simple webpage is around 100-200 dollars. Making one where there's a shopping cart or other methods for accepting money will go into the thousand range, but a simple web page or two with donating options similar to those kickstarter has is likely not going to cost you over 5k. It's likely you'll have money left over to invest in the pitch itself. Door kickers[/urls] does this and is quite successful at attracting gaming media attention and saving themselves some money.

To say card companies do nothing is frankly laughable. They provide an infrastructure and most importantly customer security that allows transaction to occur.

You are right, I was using hyperbole when I said card companies do nothing.

They allow pretty much anybody in any country to buy your product and transfer fund quickly and securely. No they are not perfect but they provide an essential service. If you don't like the charge then simple - dont take credit cards as a payment mechanism... Nobody forcing you...

They are far from perfect, while they might not be doing nothing, I think the general tone of my previous posts is clear that they don't do enough to warrant the rates of which they charge, let alone the other fees that they charge on top of this.

Now PayPal is different - more expensive for very little and as a merchant even less security or protection.

Yeah, I never liked paypal as well. Though it has not given me any trouble compared to other people.

The thing to remember is that its a percentage - 2.5% isn't much all things considered. Take apple - 30% cut on the App Store there...

There are two things I keep in mind when I'm are being charged a percentage in what I've make. The buying value of the sum that they're taking, and whether their costs are anywhere near the amount being charged for me. Five thousand dollars as you say might not be very much in terms of one hundred thousand dollars, but the sum of five thousand dollars can do a whole lot. For a person making 30 thousand dollars a year, it's two month's pay. From another perspective, would anyone like it if they have to pay 2.5% more tax on everything? Surely for anyone who has received a pay check before, they've noticed that these percentages tend to add up, resulting in a massive chunk missing from the previous amount.
The second issue is that they're not really doing enough to justify retailers paying them that much. It costs them five time less than the amount they're charging card swipes for all the security, infrastructure, and administrative costs. Doubling, tripling, or sometimes even quadrupling the cost and getting away with it isn't unheard of in business, but making 5 times in profits of the cost of making the product is a bit too much in terms of what you're charging, especially when the groups doing so sits in a significant majority of the market share.
As for the Apple issue, they do deserve that much. Much of it due to their practices in making their products a exclusive system that draws a great deal of money out of their customers. Their branding in other words, and their efforts at building their brand both intangibly and physically is well wroth that 30% due to how much business that's being brought in even if they're charging for way more than their competitors. Course you could just go with Android and sell your app at the same price and make far more, which support my point.
Card companies don't have to bother with branding, or at least the biggest companies, like visa and mastercard. They solely rely upon having cornered the banking institutions into flooding the market with their cards, thus making the significant majority of the purchases having require their machines.
Likewise for kickstarter, they do even less than this. Yes it's a great idea and is worth something for that, but for me it still fails at the second issue. For small projects it seems reasonable to charge 5%, but for things bigger than a hundred thousand, it seems a little unreasonable given that the same level of work is given for both.

Now kickstarter... Whilst they don't directly 'do' anything they are no different to spending money on google Adwords. It's advertising plain and simple as you are trying to use their site as a basis for reaching customers that otherwise you wouldn't be able to reach.
Personally, 5% of a funded project is good value. Lets say you raise 100k in funding... So you pay 5k. Sorry, but if somebody said to me 'if you give me 5k I'll give you 95k back then I'd bite their arm off. For comparison purposes, throw 5k at google an see if that generates 100k of revenue... (Hint - it won't).

Whatever that's being argued, comparing it with very bad example isn't going to help the argument being posited. There are advertisement companies out there that are really effective and have a substantial impact. But Kickstarter is not advertising- they receive and process money from people. As well as that 95k likely won't exist as stringless from the site. While in some local areas they may not be counted as a retailer, the money that people receive who successfully fund is treated as profits, and most tax collecting bodies will only really care about that part.

But again, the context of the post you're replying to, is working on the basis that there's an alternative to kickstarer: making your own website and putting your pitch onto it to avoid that 5%. And lets not forget, that 95k doesn't exist as a whole, depending on what you promised, a good deal of it might be diverted to the rewards that was promised, and the costs of bringing those rewards to bear (administrative, brokerage, deliveries, time, etc.). And lets not forget, the tax that the total would be subjected to if it is above a certain amount, and the accounting fees to handle that if you're not doing your own accounting. With all that in mind, that 5k will be sorely needed, especially considering the costs of actually developing the product including living expenses and/or salaries. There's not going to be that much left afterwards, and the issue of who is really doing the work in the relationship that raised the capital is going to hang at the forefront.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Ads

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2013, 12:12:14 AM »

It's an odd view to me taking absolute amounts rather than percentages.
It looks like that you'd pay $500 to get $10k revenue (it's only $500), consider $5k to get $100k ($5k is two months salary say) but not even consider $50k for $1m (it nearly 2 years salary say!!).

I struggle to see the logic as the cost is not fixed but directly proportional to sales so you don't pay unless you get the money. Looking at the absolute value to me gives an incomplete picture. As long as after all the fees and costs that extra is still generatin profit then surely it's always logical to pay it?

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »

It's an odd view to me taking absolute amounts rather than percentages.

I think it would be odd to look at expenses in their percentage form only. The absolute amount should not be entirely swept under the rug even when the percentage cost isn't very big. One needs to look at all the things together, in this case, the cost of producing the service, how much they're charging you for it, and how much of an advantage using the service would bring.

I'm frequently jumping between card companies and kickstarter and I realize there's going to be a little bit of confusion due to this.

It looks like that you'd pay $500 to get $10k revenue (it's only $500), consider $5k to get $100k ($5k is two months salary say) but not even consider $50k for $1m (it nearly 2 years salary say!!).

I think I said this (it was a while ago), within the context of operating costs of bringing the service to customers. The price of giving a group a page for their kickstarter is fixed more or less. Reaching a low goal will likely only cover the operating costs for the server and employee salary itself. A larger goal might be what's needed to bring in a healthy profit. But when you get to very large goals, in the span of hundreds of thousands or millions, the costs of producing the service will then be miniscule in comparison to the profit that will be made.

The relation between how much a group needs to bring a product to bear and the profits of selling it is an issue. Supposing a few card companies for instance has an 80% hold on market share, charging 5 times the amount per card swipe than it costs for basically all the costs involved in the service is gouging the people who use the system.

For kickstarter however, it is not the only option, brought up by someone earlier, a much better way to raise money would be to make your own investment page, something that would likely be easy if the person doing it is literate in computers like Alex is.

I struggle to see the logic as the cost is not fixed but directly proportional to sales so you don't pay unless you get the money. Looking at the absolute value to me gives an incomplete picture. As long as after all the fees and costs that extra is still generation profit then surely it's always logical to pay it?

Indeed, the cost is not fixed and proportional. You have to realize this is a double edged sword. A company not doing much business (IE. not getting many card swipes) won't have to pay for much, but their business isn't likely going to survive. A business that is booming will find itself handing over a substantial amount of the earnings to the card company they are working with, astronomically higher than what it costs the card company to provide this service.

Given another example, lets use toiletries. I run an establishment that sells food and drinks, I am obligated to give people use of the washroom. The more people I sell my products to the more people will use my bathroom including the supplies within. Again it is proportional to my business: No customers, no need to restock on supplies, very little to no cost of operating in terms of washroom availability. The difference with this in comparison to the card companies is that there are whole lot of choices available to me with a wide range of quality and price. I also know that the companies I select to buy from do not charge me 5 times the amount it costs them to make the supplies they are selling me.

snooze

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:03 AM »

I don't remember how I found the website but I do know that if people are interested they will find the game, regardless if it's using Kickstarter or not. It has an appealing premise and what I've seen so far promises good things for the future.
Pages: 1 [2]