Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 141

Author Topic: [0.6.2a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.644  (Read 923726 times)

ganjou234

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.6.1a] Exerelin - Dynamic Sector and Faction War - v0.61
« Reply #1260 on: October 18, 2013, 07:24:44 AM »

Anyone else having a problem with save games? I'm using Blackrock and Neutrino but after some point I'm never able to load a savegame (i.e. it just fails with a corrupt save game message).

Anyone else having a problem with save games? I'm using Blackrock and Neutrino but after some point I'm never able to load a savegame (i.e. it just fails with a corrupt save game message).
yea dudde im having the exact same problems and it just sais that the mods is incompatible or somthing and to go check the starsector.logs to see what happend hope fully this is fixed

Could you please post the error from the log?

Also, have you tried upping the memory limits/using 64bit Java (details in the OP)?

I was having this ALOT. But then I changed to 64 bit and changed the mem allocations. An voila the problems vanished.....for now..... :)

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »

I keep having the same issue..look at this and see if you can help me please and where is Nomads in this?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 11:13:45 AM by Lopunny Zen »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #1262 on: October 18, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »

Guys, the zip files the game creates are not corrupt. There's no issue with saving. It's compressed. You can't open it with a zip file editor; you can't open it at all. They are not editable. The format is proprietary, and it's specific to this game, and it's optimized for space with knowledge specific to this game. Alex explained this part. If you change your settings to use save compression, or if a mod changes that setting on your behalf, you can't reasonably expect to edit it, ever. Only the game can understand it, and possibly only the version of the game it was saved with, with the specific combination of mods and the specific versions of those mods as well.

It's the nature of the beast, guys.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: October 18, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

The ZIP I sent you was just of the save folder which already contained campaign.zip (i.e. I didn't create it). I assume it is corrupt, but when it saved there was no error at all.

Well I have tried quite a few ways to open that zip but all either give an error or unzip into a cpgz (?) file. Also, the zip of your save folder should be larger than 270KB :)

Perhaps try re-zipping the folder and upload it again, or just upload the save folders XML and ZIP files (don't worry about the BAK ones) seperately.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: October 18, 2013, 02:39:57 PM »

i compressed it and it stilll is too big...so i dont see your point

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: October 18, 2013, 02:45:08 PM »

Guys, the zip files the game creates are not corrupt. There's no issue with saving. It's compressed. You can't open it with a zip file editor; you can't open it at all. They are not editable. The format is proprietary, and it's specific to this game, and it's optimized for space with knowledge specific to this game. Alex explained this part. If you change your settings to use save compression, or if a mod changes that setting on your behalf, you can't reasonably expect to edit it, ever. Only the game can understand it, and possibly only the version of the game it was saved with, with the specific combination of mods and the specific versions of those mods as well.

Just a quick note - it's actually using java's built-in compression (InflaterInputStream/DeflaterOutputStream). My using .zip for the extension is unfortunate, I should probably change that; used that when I was (briefly) under the mistaken impression that it was an actual zip. There's also some game-specific logic to optimize stuff, but that takes place before the xml file is fed into the compression stream. I actually wouldn't mind if it was using the zip format (would prefer it, really) but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to go about doing this.

lindsay lohan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: October 18, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

I'm not seeming to get a choice in picking my starting faction or sector layout. Also there seems to be no option for omni factory. Could it be that I messed something up in the note pad when when I installed Blackrock?

singlespace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: October 18, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »

I didn't assume it was corrupt because I couldn't open it with a decompressor -- in fact I never tried. I assume it's corrupt because loading the save game fails horribly.

singlespace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: October 18, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

Well I have tried quite a few ways to open that zip but all either give an error or unzip into a cpgz (?) file. Also, the zip of your save folder should be larger than 270KB :)

Perhaps try re-zipping the folder and upload it again, or just upload the save folders XML and ZIP files (don't worry about the BAK ones) seperately.
Not sure what's going on there, but I'll just send you links to the raw files then.

singlespace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: October 18, 2013, 06:19:57 PM »

Just a quick note - it's actually using java's built-in compression (InflaterInputStream/DeflaterOutputStream). My using .zip for the extension is unfortunate, I should probably change that; used that when I was (briefly) under the mistaken impression that it was an actual zip. There's also some game-specific logic to optimize stuff, but that takes place before the xml file is fed into the compression stream. I actually wouldn't mind if it was using the zip format (would prefer it, really) but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to go about doing this.
It's in the standard library just like Inflater/Deflater:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/zip/ZipInputStream.html
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/zip/ZipOutputStream.html

Kiloman

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: October 18, 2013, 07:40:43 PM »

Well if you upgraded the embedded JRE to Java 7 there is always java.util.zip's ZipInputStream/ZipOutputStream:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/zip/package-summary.html

Edit: singlespace beat me to it. Also, it is available with Java 6.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:42:18 PM by Kiloman »

singlespace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: October 18, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »

Well if you upgraded the embedded JRE to Java 7 there is always java.util.zip's ZipInputStream/ZipOutputStream:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/util/zip/package-summary.html

Edit: singlespace beat me to it. Also, it is available with Java 6.
It has been in Java for a lot longer than Java 6. I have vague recollections of using it more than a decade ago, so it's entirely possible it was in 1.0.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: October 18, 2013, 11:03:21 PM »

Not sure what's going on there, but I'll just send you links to the raw files then.

Thank you, that worked :)

You're save loaded fine for me (MacOSX, Java 64bit, 1024-2048 for memory allocations). Are you sure you have upped the memory? You need to edit info.plist inside the StarSector app (right click, show contents) when using OSX.

If you have done this already then you are going to need to run StarSector with the terminal (StarSector app, right click, show contents, MacOS, JavaApplicationStub). This will display a terminal window in which will print the log entries. Then you can send me the error message.

singlespace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: October 18, 2013, 11:23:18 PM »

You're save loaded fine for me (MacOSX, Java 64bit, 1024-2048 for memory allocations). Are you sure you have upped the memory? You need to edit info.plist inside the StarSector app (right click, show contents) when using OSX.
Ah, I thought that it was executing starsector.command instead of JavaApplicationStub so I ignored the plist. Works now, sorry for the confusion.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:26 AM »

Ah, I thought that it was executing starsector.command instead of JavaApplicationStub so I ignored the plist. Works now, sorry for the confusion.

No worries :)
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 141