Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 564319 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #975 on: September 16, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »

Should the Onslaught's Burn Drive (And the Domi and Enforcer) perhaps be renamed? Or "Burn Speed" be renamed to something like Cruise Speed? One could certainly get the impression that the Onslaught's Burn Drive is the same monstrous travel drive it uses to get around space quickly. Or maybe the Burn Drive should actually use the travel drive and kick the Onslaught up to a scary 600SU/s.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: September 16, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »

It IS the same thing.

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 16, 2013, 04:39:29 PM »

The Burn Drive doesn't accelerate any of the ships it's fitted on to the same speeds they are at when they use it to enter the battlefield, though.

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 16, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »

From my understanding, it is the same type of engine use, maybe modulated for battle purposes.

Hyph_K31

• Admiral
  • O' Hear My Name and Tremble! Ug Ug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 16, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »

Yup. in the Lore it is stated that the systems used for the burn drive and interstellar travel are one and the same.

I think it makes the term maximum burn quite apt.

"GEDUNE, stop venting in front of your classmates!"

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 16, 2013, 05:27:08 PM »

Had time to play the game more, some more thoughts:

* Finally got used to the workings of the logistics rating.  What makes it harder to track is while ships may show supplies per day, it does not include consumption by crew in the ships' stats.  For frigates, not a problem.  For capital ships, its crew add a significant chunk to logistics.

* Leadership is required just to pilot a capital ship at full effectiveness.  Previously, it was possible to ignore Leadership and play the game with a lone capital ship.  Now, 20 logistics is only enough for a Paragon without any crew.  Add the crew and you need 25+ logistics to pilot your lone Paragon or some other capital ship.

* Fighters feel more like an accessory (read: second ship system or customizable hullmod that costs logistics instead of OP) for ships with a flight deck instead of a separate ship unit.  As long as fighters are treated as such (and use one wing per flight deck deployed), rather than as units that can be amassed like frigates then sent to swarm, they work alright.  Wasps cost too much - 9 compared other fighters' 2 or 3.

* Due to the increased supply consumption, freighters went from absolutely worthless to absolutely required.  It is not practical to dedicate all logistics to combat ships.  The only way to stockpile plenty of supplies is to salvage as much as possible, but that often produces more loot than my ships can carry, even after a single fight, unless I have a freighter or three.  The Altas, along with Ox ships to speed it up, is one of the most important ships in the game.  When fighting big fleets, even one Atlas may not be enough.  2500 or more supplies after one big fight seem like a lot, but my fleet of ships can eat over 1000 supplies to get back in shape.

* Hegemony Defense Fleets seem weaker now.  Sure, all of their ships are still there, but they are not all bunched together like they used to.  Tri-Tachyon Security fleets with a Paragon and either another capital ship and/or two cruisers are more dangerous than Hegemony System Defense fleets.

* Frigate swarms are still viable and may be even more effective than before... as long as you have an Atlas to haul all of the loot you find.  Once the player gets the best equipment and skills, frigates can kill enough to win the battle before lack of stamina hurts them too much.

* Once your fleet gets powerful enough, pursuit combat becomes more common than regular combat.  Frigates, especially the Hyperion, dominate pursuits.

* Repeated harrying until the whole enemy fleet is non-combat ready is too useful, especially if your fleet is not powerful enough to destroy fleeing combat ready ships before getting destroyed.  For example, your frigate versus enemy capital ship.  The only risk with this exploit is another fleet stealing your kills.

* Due to CR reduction after each combat, transferring command just to play each battle is really annoying!  I like to change flagships between encounters, so I can avoid performing this extra required step.  Pursuit auto-resolve is too incompetent for my tastes when I hunger for supplies.

* 75% CR reduction for Hyperion after each fight is excessive!  How about somewhere 50% to 65%?  Enough that it can fight a second battle at reduced effectiveness, but not so much that it cannot fight at all.

* The three times I tried boarding, I hard-docked the ship and sent crew (no marines) in.  With the Special Ops perk, I exchanged roughly one of my crew for one of theirs (they had about 5% or less in marines, and the rest crew) and captured their ship each time.  The ships I captured include an Ox, a Medusa, and an Odyssey.

* Question:  How much more effective are marines than crew?  They eat so many supplies that unless they have greater than 10 to 1 effectiveness, I would rather use crew instead.  At least having lots of crew means I can level more of them up and ignore the skill that speeds up crew level gain.

My favorite fleet configuration is one capital ship (Odyssey), a Hyperion and/or Afflictor (pursuit dominance), Atlas (to haul loot), four or so Oxen (speed up big ships), a wing or two of Xyphos and/or Thunders, and remainder of my fleet with frigates.  Losing a frigate or two hurts less than a destroyer or cruiser.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:28:54 PM by Megas »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 16, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »

I seem to remember 20crew to the marine...

Again could b wrong though
mmm.... tartiflette

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 16, 2013, 05:32:04 PM »

I've found two bugs, (I hope this is the corrct place to mention them)
In Vanilla SS, Some stores stock 0 crew.
'Purchasing' this crew will make all transactions until you press accept cost nothing.
Meaning you can buy thousands of fuel, and supply for nothing.
then once you press accept, and the transaction is finished, you can sell it all back for regular prices.
(So long as you don't sell back the 0 crew unit)
This can be repeated indefinitely,.
Sorting a 0 crew will also remove all crew of that type from the inventory it is in.

The second bug, I've no clue how it happened.
But my supply where not registering.
I had three thousand supply on a fleet that could only hold @600
the supply worked as normal, and it showed how much I had for the supplys used per day meter,
but the suppys/max supply showed empty, even with the three thousand.
~Aura be with you

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 16, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »

* Question:  How much more effective are marines than crew?  They eat so many supplies that unless they have greater than 10 to 1 effectiveness, I would rather use crew instead.  At least having lots of crew means I can level more of them up and ignore the skill that speeds up crew level gain.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Marines are 7:1 vs green crew, 7:2 vs elite. Probably not worth it at this point, going to tweak some things for 0.6.1a. Also going to adjust things so that repeatedly harrying a fleet isn't so easy.

@Auraknight: thanks - this is fixed for the next release, 0.6.1a. Both problems are due to the 0-size crew stacks.

Auraknight

• Commander
  • I am a Knight of Aura.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 16, 2013, 05:54:57 PM »

[

@Auraknight: thanks - this is fixed for the next release, 0.6.1a. Both problems are due to the 0-size crew stacks.

TYVM, for both the prompt reply, and explanation! You constantly amaze me with the levels of PR you do, as well as the work!
Good luck!
~Aura be with you

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 16, 2013, 06:01:39 PM »

Well, technically, harrying the enemy was meant to slowly chip away at them with fewer casualties for yourself, hit and run tactics if you may.  If you want a real-life example of harrying, in the American Revolution, after the Battle of Lexington Green, a horde of very angry farmers and colonists harried retreating British soldiers all the way back to the safety of Boston.  At the end of the battle, the British had taken something around the lines of 250 casualties out of maybe 700 men.

That's what I call harrying.  So I'd expect repeated harrying as punishment for a fleet that's wandered too far from the safety of it's defense fleet or home base.

Though I do agree it's a bit over the top right now - is it possible for the harrying forces to take a CR penalty or even some minor damage?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 16, 2013, 07:50:09 PM »

I'd rather the harrying penalty be a (much?) longer delay than normal before you can engage them again. gives them a chance to get to safety. maybe also change their AI when fleeing because at the moment you can literally just run them in circles when they're running from you. maybe make them move towards the largest nearby ally?

zakastra

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 16, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »

Perhaps Reduce the harrying fleets maximum burn by a couple of points for 6-8 hours whilst they re-organize their ranks, that gives he retreating fleet a little more time to resupply
Oh DRM, bane of the carrier captain...

IronBorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 17, 2013, 12:50:22 AM »

Woohoo! A new alpha to test!

Unfortunately I can't play it for very long, as it causes the temperature to flare up on my CPU to dangerous levels (above 90 degrees). The temperatures seem to spike when I have docked at a station and am just browsing through the space station screens. Clicking on a ship's info to bring up the ship codex seems to be one trigger for the spike, but it has happened on other screens as well. Otherwise, when in actual combat my computer handles the game fine.

I also noticed when flying around the solar system the game stutters frequently (actual combat plays very smooth). This may be related to my CPU melting. In release 0.54.1a my computer usually ran the game in the high 60s and 70s. In this release, temps are jumping way up when just docking and navigating (though they are probably so high when navigating because docking causes the temp spike).

Computer Specs:
Asus A42J Laptop
Windows 7
Intel i5 460M 2.53GHZ
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 17, 2013, 01:01:29 AM »

hmm, I'm experiencing a bit of slowdown (35-ish fps down from 50+ on populated areas and a solid 60 otherwise) going in and out of stations (no temp problem since I'm on a desktop way up north where it's cold, but it's still something to look into)
mmm.... tartiflette
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 71