Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 71

Author Topic: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 556190 times)

Alfalfa

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.6a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #960 on: September 16, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »

Regarding the new mechanics, the learning curve has steepened from a nice rolling hill to a mountain. For those who have been playing the previous versions to death and have followed/discussed the upcoming changes in the forums I'm sure it's manageable. For someone like me who lurks around and plays each new version for few hours, Starsector feels a lot more "gamey", even artificially so.

Thanks for the feedback! Always good to hear the perspective of someone that's less "in" it. Definitely agree about the learning curve, and it's a concern. Not entirely sure how much can be done about it, aside from adding some introduction-style section for the campaign.

Perhaps a "newbie" system to let people dive off the deep end from? Generally smaller pirate fleets, no HSDFs, no TTSDs, just a few light patrols and a "so here's what these buttons do, 'kay? 'Kay, have fun." tutorial that teaches all the basics of CR, logistics and such.

Ultimately, something more like an introductory battle or two, followed by some introductory map navigation and some visual or dialogue explanations of logistics et cetera would be more effective.  For now though, I'm all for adding as many systems as possible!

Bribe Guntails

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: September 16, 2013, 11:39:55 AM »

I'm liking this new release, but I'm having stability issues. Whenever my fleet is destroyed and have to respawn in a new starter ship, I encounter a fatal error which closes down the game.
The log file is linked here: http://filesmelt.com/dl/starsector.log

Hmm - that looks like the bug that was fixed by the [urk=http://fractalsoftworks.com/2013/09/13/starsector-0-6a-release/hotfix, RC4[/url]. Do you still have RC1, perhaps?

Thanks Alex.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 16, 2013, 12:29:19 PM »

By the number of deployment points worth of disabled/destroyed ships the standing down side inflicted on the enemy, relative to how many deployment points it had deployed. It might make more lore "sense" to base it on the damage taken, but the goal here is to prevent "deploy a Hound, retreat, enemy Onslaught takes CR hit" style harassment. So, basically, a large ship can effectively ignore frigate harassment unless the harassers committ to enough of a fight to suffer significant losses. The AI will use "stand down", too

does that mean you can deploy hound, retreat, force standdown, then retreat without pursuit?

Mught be potential exploit there... will test it out when i get home
mmm.... tartiflette

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 16, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »

found a bug with the astral and the dagger bombers not sure if its just these but anyways what happened was after a very long fight using about 15-20 wings of fighters and bombers vs the heg def fleet, the dagger bombers would continuously dock and take off from the astral never getting to the point where they can be targeted or reloading their bombs.

great job on this patch having fighter/bombers is so much more fun when you don't have to replace them every fight :)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: September 16, 2013, 01:08:20 PM »

does that mean you can deploy hound, retreat, force standdown, then retreat without pursuit?

Mught be potential exploit there... will test it out when i get home

If you're in a Hound facing an Onslaught, you can already retreat w/o pursuit due to being faster. The Onslaught can "harry" but that's it. If you've got multiple ships, then yeah, you could do that, though the Onslaught would still be able to "harry", even after standing down, and you'd lose extra CR on any ships deployed in a delaying action like that. Still not great that you can do that, though - might change it so that a 100% "stand down" allows pursuit.

found a bug with the astral and the dagger bombers not sure if its just these but anyways what happened was after a very long fight using about 15-20 wings of fighters and bombers vs the heg def fleet, the dagger bombers would continuously dock and take off from the astral never getting to the point where they can be targeted or reloading their bombs.

Weird. Thanks for the report, I'll see if I can reproduce it.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: September 16, 2013, 01:30:11 PM »

But then we can just splash a talon at them and turn tail with the rest of our fleet, right?

2400 for a retreat can be quite cheap depending on the situation

mmm.... tartiflette

WK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: September 16, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »

After few more hours of playing I have to say I love the new patch and the direction the game is going to. A lot of my previous points of criticism regarding the supplies were mostly about not understanding the new systems and as I've played more I've become used to them. It's still not always clear how these things work (e.g. logistics) and what influences what, but that's relatively easy to take care of with a tutorial.

One thing that I am missing is "cargo bay" modifications that would allow you to trade combat efficiency for extra space. I'm of course thinking about Hound-transports :)

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: September 16, 2013, 01:37:30 PM »

I happened upon a bug in the Hegemony base cargo / crew purchase interface.
There were duplicate stacks for every crew rank all at 0 counter. Ctrl + click a 0 stack replaces your own stack by 0, making you lose your current crew.
Buying more crew from a proper stack is okay, unless you Ctrl + click it or sort your cargo.

Also, while in space, I could Ctrl + click any 0 stack, and from the jettison screen Shift + click a 0 stack making it a functional 1 stack. The original 0 stack was still left in the cargo.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: September 16, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »

I happened upon a bug in the Hegemony base cargo / crew purchase interface.
There were duplicate stacks for every crew rank all at 0 counter. Ctrl + click a 0 stack replaces your own stack by 0, making you lose your current crew.
Buying more crew from a proper stack is okay, unless you Ctrl + click it or sort your cargo.

Also, while in space, I could Ctrl + click any 0 stack, and from the jettison screen Shift + click a 0 stack making it a functional 1 stack. The original 0 stack was still left in the cargo.

known and fixed bug

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: September 16, 2013, 02:07:18 PM »

But then we can just splash a talon at them and turn tail with the rest of our fleet, right?

2400 for a retreat can be quite cheap depending on the situation

You'd still get harried, and that'd likely cost you considerably more than 2.4k. Really, "deploy one ship and retreat it right away w/o fighting" is what's bad. If you deploy one Talon wing and actually have it fight, to me that's an acceptable rear-guard action.

One thing that I am missing is "cargo bay" modifications that would allow you to trade combat efficiency for extra space. I'm of course thinking about Hound-transports :)

Well, anything that makes Hounds better, I have to consider carefully :) Big fan of that scrappy little ship.

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: September 16, 2013, 02:09:58 PM »

Maybe the third time I'll finally fall on one yet undiscovered, not that I hope to find any.

I find the game more challenging than before when playing with a single overpowered ship. CR really contributes to keep things entertaining.
I even just bought an Atlas to accompany my Onslaught on longer cruises as cargo gets really filled quickly due to logistics and loot.

I can only say the new system is really good and makes the game even more enjoyable.
The new fighter system also makes them more fun to use.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: September 16, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »

Pardon my ignorance here but I didn't see this in the patch notes. Is the longbow support fighters supposed to be in yet? Last I heard it was still being balanced.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: September 16, 2013, 03:27:26 PM »

What if only the ship not deployed in the last engagement are unable to pursuit in a stand down scenario?

Then the AI would also have to worry about not over deploying too... Not sure if they do right now, but that would work better I feel....

Pardon my ignorance here but I didn't see this in the patch notes. Is the longbow support fighters supposed to be in yet? Last I heard it was still being balanced.

a quick look through the code says it's not in yet... I could be wrong though
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: September 16, 2013, 03:33:36 PM »

Then the AI would also have to worry about not over deploying too... Not sure if they do right now, but that would work better I feel....

The AI doesn't overdeploy. It aims for roughly 2x your stuff, and then aims for a progressively bigger advantage as it loses ships.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: September 16, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

a quick look through the code says it's not in yet... I could be wrong though

I was asking because I saw one in the askonia station, but there had been not mention of addin it.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 71