Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New small toy mod (for now)  (Read 2658 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
New small toy mod (for now)
« on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »

Here's a hue shifted Condor sporting fighting drones.

Need to make a balancing pass on it, but figured it was probably worth getting feedback on.

Would it be fun to see a whole faction based on indirect fighting?

Thanks for your thoughts!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxBpb15p_BkWSDJMVkdHQjg0UVE/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: Decided I should explain more what I am doing. I love carriers, and I love drones, so I figured a carrier kitted out with drones and autofac (instead of flight decks) would be the ultimate nerd out for me. So that's what I'm shooting for. Still want SOME weapons on the carrier (for last ditch pd or a little more direct control) but the drones should be doing the bulk of the fighting.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 08:22:09 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: New small toy mod (for now)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »

Sorry to bump, but I uploaded a new version and it bears some explanation.

There's not three missions and two different prototypes. There's a bomber carrier (drones with light mortars), and the fighter carrier. There are 3 missions featuring these
  • 1. features the bomber carrier and is against a small piratey fleet
  • 2. features the fighter carrier against a medusa
  • 3. features both against a bigger pirate fleet

Looking for feedback in the following vein:
  • balance against vanilla
  • Would a whole faction based on this idea be fun to play with? (it would be all hue shifted carriers probably, haha. Me no art)
  • has this been done before? Better/worse? Differences in our implementations. (I know about iron clads, and need to play with it, but that's not vanilla balance, so not really what I mean)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

billi999

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 01:34:26 PM »

Aye I've made a drone carrier before, it was for a mod I'm really not sure I'll ever release, here's the sprite I kitbashed for it:

It fielded 6 wasps (converted to drones like the old wasp wing), regenerated them somewhat slowly and carried 3 spares, they attack within a reasonable range so the carrier was more of a support ship than anything. To balance them for that exact reason its firepower is kind of weak, the one medium slot is missile and pointing backwards, its flux efficiency is also quite poor. In retrospect it's still pretty overpowered by itself as I made it as fast as the Medusa, so it probably should have been slower. Otherwise though, the drones were still not particularly effective at much beyond PD and slowly whittling down ships with narrow-ish omni shields so there's that.

Also: I can't seem to download your mod, it just gives me a big grey blank screen below a toolbar-like thing.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 01:46:56 PM »

Cool! Yeah I've noticed they aren't great at killing stuff, but they stay alive pretty well.

Support is definitely where'd they'd excel methinks.

Not sure why you can't get to it. Trying to use google for this and I'm still a newb there.  :p  What browser are you on?
EDIT: Try clicking on File in the toolbar and selecting download from there. The grey box is a big mostly worthless list of the files in the zip anyway, haha.
- Voltaire

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

Download works for me.

I'm not sure if a pure drone faction would be very interesting to play. You can't really influence drone behavior after all.
Maybe go for some kind of combo. Kinetic /EMP drones and HE long range ballistics/missiles on the carrier ships?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »

Yeah, that's why I left a few ballistic turrets on there.

It's mildly interesting to decide when to deploy and when to withdraw (and repair) the drones, but you're right about not really influencing them.

Hrm. Anywho it's a fun toy and I'll probably tinker with it here and there.
- Voltaire

robokill

• Captain
  • Hey, over there stop looking at my guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »

If you do make a faction you need to either make a ship then create a drone to complemint its style. Like make a heavy hitting bruiser with lots of frontal firepower might have drone that cover its flank like pd or shield. the other way is to make a drone for a perpose then make a ship to usethem effectively. For instance a very heavy combat drone with lots of firepower and health might be carried by a fast destroyer with a versitile pd setup to get them to target making the gloryfied torpedo tube called the dagger an actual useful ship.