Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your Brain  (Read 7591 times)

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
Your Brain
« on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »

How you you think your brain functions, in specific your thought process and "stuff."

I like to think of my brain as a slow hex-core processor, in part because of my ADHD (less "H" these days and more "D") i can think about a lot of stuff (or rapidly switch between radically different streams of thought) but the actual thinking gets done relatively slowly.  Math for instance is very difficult for me because although i can think of a lot to things at once the actual process of thought is slower for me than then the average human but i can arrive at the same conclusions as fast if not faster than the average human (I routinely kick butt in quiz bowl).

In my younger years i was severely dyslexic and it took me till the middle of first grade for books to start to make a lick of sense because of my dyslexia i still can spell very well (I failed nearly every spelling test in second grade BTW so they IQ tested me and i had an IQ of 129 :P).  But because it took so long for me to start reading i can now remember almost anything that i read that interests me.

Much to my teachers displeasure i have a fine motor discontinuity, this means that my brain doesn't know were my hands or fingers are in relation to the rest of the body or the hand for that mater unless i am looking at them (if fact it sometimes fleas like they are not even connected to my body), this was not helpful for my handwriting in any way and to this day i often still can read what i write.  Ironically this allowed me to pick up typing rather quickly because i was use to not needing to know were my hands were.

So that is me what about you? :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 11:29:55 AM by sdmike1 »

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: Your Brain
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 08:15:12 AM »

I suffer from Dyspraxia but above all odds of what ELSE occurs from it, handrwiting is my sole problem.

I'm also a GENIUS, but you know that already :P
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 08:40:45 AM »

In what way? Invent something fantastic and you will be a genius in my book, until then, nuh-uh, and whatever happened to your streaming?

On topic: I "had" ADHD, the reversed kind, instead of being hyper, i was.. quiet.. and very much so, with the regular *** of not being able to concentrate and whatnot, but it disappeared as i got older.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:44:44 AM »

So many people have or had ADHD and similar conditions; I'm not even sure if that is the sickness or the practice to put little kids in a room and expect them not to move for hours is the real sick thing.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:58:55 AM »

Another ADHD guy here, With ODD, And Asperger's here :D 
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 02:50:08 PM »

In what way? Invent something fantastic and you will be a genius in my book, until then, nuh-uh, and whatever happened to your streaming?
Genius is a subjective thing to the onlooker, as it is based upon their perspective and opinions of the field the genius may be within. Some will call genius in the field of technology something that saves lives, others that which will improve their quality of life or simply be indiscernible from magic. As we can see from your comment, you are one possessed of the mindset that inventors are the true genius of the modern world, which is to all intents and purposes perfectly reasonable.

As for my personal genius, you have seen first hand my capability to hold my universe in all of it's incomplete and shattered mess viable and true through the onslaught of disbelief and so forth. You have, also, first hand seen my capability to social engineer or lure people methodically into... uncomfortable circumstances. Am I baiting as a troll? My entertainment desires are provided elsewhere. I use it as a simple tactic to assist my points and force a different method of thinking. I have yet to have a single debate where one personality has arisen decisively victorious - more often than not, my diplomatic though impregnable bulwark speech and tones can cause much unfortunate dragging out of these discussions to the point individuals can become tempered or so forth, and it has usually been the case that an outside body proceeds with involvement to halt the discussion though it does not actually break any rules. I have first hand experienced such as this. Whether or not you call such points as these genius (I for one do not) is, as I have already mentioned, based on personal preference. If it is not, feel very much free to point me to a sheet of rules or such that defines genius as having particular prerequisites.

That is not the point here however, my streaming has currently ceased due to a general lack of motivation to stream. After the creation of the second chat, the fractures that erupted axed my audience and never have I received any gratification or 'you did good' in my posts here upon the forum in my topic aptly title 'Livestreams'.

Now, without further derailing the topic, ADHD is something I never come across in school, nor is ODD, OCD, or Aspergers. Gothars is correct to say therefore that children with such conditions are locked away in the 'Learning for Life' center, where they never come into our lives. I keep my relation with LFL to an utmost professional minimum, for the treatment of individuals in that place would be... detrimental to myself, regardless of what others say.
And, uh, DAYUM laptop keyboards are nice to type on. That was a real breeze.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »

So.. your a genius because you have done something everybody is capable of doing, wouldn't that make everybody a genius?

To what i have witnessed, your "social engineering" was talk that more or less always came down to you acting superior above everybody else.

As for the skype chat, just tell us and we will inv you anytime.

On topic: I'm sure you have encountered someone with ADHD in school, its not always apparent, i had 3 guys in my class that had ADHD and one with (dont know its name), and i didn't notice/learn until like 7-8th grade.

as for laptops, i don't like them, keyboards FOREVER!!! ;D

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »

So.. your a genius because you have done something everybody is capable of doing, wouldn't that make everybody a genius?

To what i have witnessed, your "social engineering" was talk that more or less always came down to you acting superior above everybody else.

As for the skype chat, just tell us and we will inv you anytime.

On topic: I'm sure you have encountered someone with ADHD in school, its not always apparent, i had 3 guys in my class that had ADHD and one with (dont know its name), and i didn't notice/learn until like 7-8th grade.

as for laptops, i don't like them, keyboards FOREVER!!! ;D
I decline the rhetorical offer of a discussion on the topic of genius in a forum as open as such, but if you seek to at all continue it feel perfectly free to proceed with the particularly useful service of private messaging, for I am sure that the people of the forum look down upon something so 'petty'.

No, I am one hundred percent certain NOBODY with ADHD is actually allowed to normally partake in classroom activites. That, and unfortunate as it is, my top set placement means that people with ADHD or such would be placed in sets lower than me. Even then, the confidentiality and seclusion of the LFL maintains such situations.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:56 PM »

How you you think your brain functions, in specific your thought process and "stuff."

A quote I'm fond of is:
"If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't."
I don't remember who said it, but it sounds right.

It's also amazing to me all of the little things that can have an effect on our brains. A few weeks ago my mom had a seizure. The cause? Low potassium. That's it. A simple missing chemical caused a terrible misfire in a few neurons.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »

No, I am one hundred percent certain NOBODY with ADHD is actually allowed to normally partake in classroom activites. That, and unfortunate as it is, my top set placement means that people with ADHD or such would be placed in sets lower than me. Even then, the confidentiality and seclusion of the LFL maintains such situations.

Actually, that is very much incorrect. I can think of at least one person I went to school that had to take medicine because of his ADHD and he was in the normal classes and ended up getting all-round good grades.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »

It's also amazing to me all of the little things that can have an effect on our brains. A few weeks ago my mom had a seizure. The cause? Low potassium. That's it. A simple missing chemical caused a terrible misfire in a few neurons.

It's the details that form the whole picture.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

Actually, that is very much incorrect. I can think of at least one person I went to school that had to take medicine because of his ADHD and he was in the normal classes and ended up getting all-round good grades.
Yes, but that was your school, wasn't it? As I have already mentioned, my school has an LFL centre that handles any such child with those conditions and keeps them FIRMLY out of our way. It doesn't matter how severe it is, they are taught elsewhere. Therefore, I was not incorrect by any stretch of the imagination, was I?
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

K-64

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »

Except for the measure where you never explicitly stated you were talking about your school there.

hadesian

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »

Except for the measure where you never explicitly stated you were talking about your school there.
Very well, I explicitly apologize for my lack of the word 'my' as I had assumed prior you would have understood I meant my school to begin with.
That's an unfortunate way to be incorrect.
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 04:01:58 PM »

Very well, I explicitly apologize for my lack of the word 'my' as I had assumed prior you would have understood I meant my school to begin with.
That's an unfortunate way to be incorrect.

Waiting for the "HA! See how good I am at trolling?!" post.
Pages: [1] 2