Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The great return  (Read 2912 times)

Nerevar22g

• Ensign
    • View Profile
The great return
« on: January 13, 2013, 06:11:22 AM »

Hello,
I havent played starfarer for a very long time, kinda gave the game some time to evolve further. I downloaded the latest version and it doesnt seem to be much difference, well there is some sort of skill tree which I absolutely love, ships seem to be much more durable which is also a great thing. So my question is, is there any news about the games development on a bigger scale, like when we can expect to see some sort of campaign or when is the game plan to be finished? Second question is about mods, which mod has most content without too much bugs and balance issues, I am downloading Uomozs Corvus, I think I tried Minimash long time ago, but it had some pretty OP weapons.
peace out  ;)

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The great return
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »

I won't touch the question of when it'll be done, but I can definitely recommend some mods.

Ascendency and Project Ironclads are two very solid, bug-free total conversions. Ascendency is actually pretty much feature-complete, I think, and very tightly balanced. It features bigger, slower battles, with shields having a diminished role. Very different look, sound, and feel to combat. Ironclads has some more ships coming, but most everything is already in place. Tons of cool new weapons, more of a naval warfare feel to it. Both of them feature factional warfare and a bit of narrative structure that the vanilla game currently lacks, plus some cool mechanics (contracts, reproducible weapons/ships, etc.).

If you want to expand your vanilla game, Fleet Control adds some very cool non-combat elements—mining, trading, building your own base, constructing fleets, and so forth. Blackrock Drive Yards has a bunch of my favorite (and favorite-looking) vanilla-balanced modded ships. Keep an eye on Uomoz's Corvus, too; it integrates a whole bunch of more-or-less vanilla balanced mods and organizes them into factions, which livens up the vanilla campaign quite a bit. The latest version should be out soon.

Nerevar22g

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 07:18:38 AM »

Awesome reply, thanks, definitely gonna check out Ascendency as it has all I want judging by your description. Also the mining and base building sounds interesting, can I run it with Ascendency together or do I have to chose one mod at a time?

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »

Nope. Ascendency has to run alone, same with Ironclads. Most other stuff will probably work with Fleet Control, though.

sdmike1

• Admiral
  • Dyslexics of the world, untie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:55:20 AM »

as to when it is done, soontm

Nerevar22g

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 12:43:37 PM »

Just had hours of fun with Caelus mod, went all out on missiles, quite OP vs pirates and other stuff that does not rely on shields... until you run out of missiles lol
But its kinda dull, same thing all the time, and I havent seen the infection faction, I think I saw this name in the mod forum page somewhere
Now I need a ship big enough to run Metal Storm, that is the weapon that I helped to create :D

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »

as to when it is done, soontm
Yea i think there needs to be a sticky thread with that title so people know not to ask that question.
Gothars get on it.
on topic: i don't play with mods(i really should though). so idk what to tell you.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 04:03:10 PM »

Yea i think there needs to be a sticky thread with that title so people know not to ask that question.
Gothars get on it.

Pardon?

This question will always be asked, it is just too important. Those who care to look the answer up will find it in one of the FAQs, the rest will ask. I think as long as we have a welcoming community that is not much of a problem :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

RSS_Ornel

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »

just a thought. sorry if i sounded terrible. I guess that is true. But the soontm thing needs some explanation imo. Again sorry if that sounded like i was implying something

Nerevar22g

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »

Well, had a couple days of fun lol
Gotta say, after I got over level 30 and got all those awesome skills it became very easy. Playing Minimash mod cos it has most ships and factions on the map at same time, flying solo tri-tachyon cruiser and wiping out entire planetary defense fleets, hunting purifiers and alien fleets for cash and lolz. Now gonna buy a battleship with 10 large energy turrets and I think I will be quite bored lol