Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Enemy ship flee prevention?  (Read 3880 times)

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Enemy ship flee prevention?
« on: January 19, 2012, 07:40:51 PM »

Hi.

It seems that in missions I edit or create, enemy ships will flee from combat if they are outmatched, apparently in ship size/numbers.

Is there a way to prevent this via MissionDefinition.java editing? If not there, then somewhere else?

I fairly scoured the forums and looked at the vanilla missions, and I can't find any obvious method.

To be clear, I want enemy ships that will stay and fight to the death no matter what the situation is.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Enemy ship flee prevention?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 07:43:12 PM »

There's no way to do that now, no. Sorry! :)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »

Will there be a way to do this in the future?  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »

Depends, I suppose :) Missions are definitely not the focus of the next release, though.

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »

Depends, I suppose :) Missions are definitely not the focus of the next release, though.

I am guessing like Mount and Blade you can continuously engage them until they are destroyed or give up?

Also is the FTL travel system worked out? I would love to see a blog post on it/Interdiction methods. (No pressure 0.5 doesn't have any so I guess you won't have anything on it)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »

Yeah, you can re-engage. And no, FTL isn't worked out yet.

DNAz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »

Yeah, you can re-engage. And no, FTL isn't worked out yet.
Thanks.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:41:07 PM »

Would making mock ships work? For example, mock ships would be capital ships that have weapons that blow themselves up the moment they come onto the field. Would ships fight to the death if there's a sufficient number of other ships in its hold?

Or perhaps you can make these mock ships utterly slow, and elongate the map vertically so what you're going to be fighting in the middle of the map is the ship you want to fight one on one with. After you win the fight with that one ship at the centre, these mock ships, while designated as capitals, have a trivial amount of health and shielding. This way you could fight a ship one on one without interference of these mocks ships due to their almost non existent speed, and not have it run away because it detects a host of other "capital ships" on its side on the field.

If it works it can be quite fun releasing a mod about fighting huge monstrosities like a monster of the week type of thing with a small fleet.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"